Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Discrimination based on Politics
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 10:40:42 AM »
I surrender.
You win.
I lack the energy to fight you on a point which seems to boil down to whether or not we should allow something I see as immoral to protect the freedom to discriminate.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 03:56:00 PM »
so the way i understand it, there are protected classes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_class

the degree to which one is allowed to discriminate based on any of these classes varies.  so, the reason you can discriminate based on political beliefs is that political affiliation isn't a protected class.  the reason you can sometimes discriminate based on sex is that it isn't protected to the same degree as race.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2017, 05:27:05 PM »
Business owners have rights too. I don't think anyone has a right to someone else's goods, services or property. As a society we're well beyond the kind of discrimination you're intimating, and you know it. People are so afraid to offend and so PC today, society itself polices companies from being discriminatory. Public opinion has evolved and been nudged to absolute tolerance, and what you see now is society trying to put a cap on just how absurd our accommodation must be.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2017, 08:09:26 PM »
Business owners have rights too. I don't think anyone has a right to someone else's goods, services or property. As a society we're well beyond the kind of discrimination you're intimating, and you know it. People are so afraid to offend and so PC today, society itself polices companies from being discriminatory. Public opinion has evolved and been nudged to absolute tolerance, and what you see now is society trying to put a cap on just how absurd our accommodation must be.

You're wrong.
Racism and sexism are still alive and well.  Most people don't even realize they are.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 06:37:39 PM »

You're wrong.
Racism and sexism are still alive and well.  Most people don't even realize they are.

Most people don't realize it? Hm... if I let other people make up my mind for me I would know that every single one of Trump's voters hate women and black people.

Bias will never not exist. The PC society we are in would never allow anything remotely close to segregation. The more genders you create the more terms you're creating for PR professionals to avoid. Can you clarify which part of my statement you think is factually wrong?

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 07:05:02 PM »

You're wrong.

Most people don't realize it? Hm... if I let other people make up my mind for me I would know that every single one of Trump's voters hate women and black people.

Bias will never not exist. The PC society we are in would never allow anything remotely close to segregation. The more genders you create the more terms you're creating for PR professionals to avoid. Can you clarify which part of my statement you think is factually wrong?

As a society we're well beyond the kind of discrimination you're intimating, and you know it. People are so afraid to offend and so PC today, society itself polices companies from being discriminatory. Public opinion has evolved and been nudged to absolute tolerance
That part.  Plenty of people discriminate and as we've just witnessed with Donald Trump's election: they aren't afraid to offend.  Especially behind closed doors.
Public opinion has not evolved to absolute tolerance.  If it did, we wouldn't have things like conversion camps, hate posts on facebook, online bullying, or really anyone from the opposite political party who happy calls you a fucktard, liberal crybaby, or any number of insults through the safety of the internet.  No, we are not even close to an absolute tolerance.  We just force it behind closed doors. 

As for most people not realizing it, it's true.  You can be racist without thinking you're racist simply because that's how you've been raised.  You think a certain action or joke is ok but it's not.

Fun, isn't it?