Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
Nintendo Switch
« on: October 20, 2016, 07:05:38 PM »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh God it's exactly what I was hoping it would be. And this seems to hint at Wii U backwards compatibility. I wish they'd gone with the "Nintendo Duo" name, but the Switch ain't too bad. Way better than "Wii U".

But seriously, I love the idea of a portable/console hybrid. Stick it in the docking station it's a full-power console; take it off, it's a portable that's less powerful but you can bring anywhere.

I honestly think this is gonna be really successful if this means portable series like Pokémon and Fire Emblem are gonna be made for the Switch as well. Big screen mainline Pokémon game? Finally????
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 07:41:19 PM »
I'll be getting one for sure, if only for first party titles, especially Breath of the Wild. I got burned on the Wii U, which I recently got rid of and preordered a PS4 Pro.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 04:35:19 AM »
So it's basically a tablet with buttons that can only run Nintendo games? Is it discounted to offset the loss in usability compared to every other tablet on the market?
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 08:35:34 AM »

I'm p. sure this isn't how people really behave.
Also, I thought they used an xbox one controller there for a second due to the shape and button layout being almost identical, so I raised an eyebrow at the thought of it being compatible.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 08:39:06 AM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 09:29:04 AM »
So... it's another WiiU?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 10:11:03 AM »
Not really. The Switch is a handheld console you can connect to a tv through a docking station. The WiiU is not a handheld console.
The Mastery.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 02:17:11 PM »
Looks pretty sweet.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Nintendo Switch
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 03:13:20 PM »
So it's basically a tablet with buttons that can only run Nintendo games?
No, it's a Nintendo game system using a tablet form factor, modular controllers, and a dock.

Is it discounted to offset the loss in usability compared to every other tablet on the market?
Compared to popular tablets like the iPad, I imagine it will be "discounted." Although every other tablet on the market can't run the Switch's games, so I'm not sure what loss in usability needs to be accounted for, since it's made to play Nintendo Switch games, not to be another generic tablet.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 03:15:21 PM by junker »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 03:49:11 PM »
Compared to popular tablets like the iPad, I imagine it will be "discounted." Although every other tablet on the market can't run the Switch's games, so I'm not sure what loss in usability needs to be accounted for, since it's made to play Nintendo Switch games, not to be another generic tablet.

Great. So if I want to both play Nintendo's games and do things that aren't play Nintendo's games, I now need to carry around two devices instead of one, despite each having hardware that is fully capable of doing what the other does.

What an amazing time to be alive.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 04:00:03 PM »

Great. So if I want to both play Nintendo's games and do things that aren't play Nintendo's games, I now need to carry around two devices instead of one, despite each having hardware that is fully capable of doing what the other does.

I'd suggest investing in a nice backpack.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 04:07:55 PM »

Do you?  Does your tablet really have the power and optimization to play the latest nintendo games?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 06:31:22 PM »
He he he, no it doesn't.
The Mastery.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 09:44:43 PM »
[...]despite each having hardware that is fully capable of doing what the other does.

no

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 10:58:32 AM »
tbh there's no technical reason for consoles to exist because it's the current year

but corporations gonna corporation so you can either buckle up and enjoy the ride or do something else than that

it's all cool we can still be friends guys!!!
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 12:21:42 PM »
Do you?  Does your tablet really have the power and optimization to play the latest nintendo games?

I don't own a tablet, and I'm sure many of them don't. The pertinent point is that the Nintendo Switch is perfectly capable of doing what ordinary tablets do. That is to say, there is no reason they can't be the same device.

but corporations gonna corporation so you can either buckle up and enjoy the ride or do something else than that

Only because people keep buying their pointless offerings and financing the demise of general-purpose hardware.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 12:31:47 PM by Parsifal »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 04:44:29 PM »
Only because people keep buying their pointless offerings and financing the demise of general-purpose hardware.
I agree. I don't buy consoles, although not because I think it will change things, but rather because I don't particularly see any point in owning them.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 06:14:01 PM »

I don't own a tablet, and I'm sure many of them don't. The pertinent point is that the Nintendo Switch is perfectly capable of doing what ordinary tablets do. That is to say, there is no reason they can't be the same device.
Quite possible.  But at what cost?  The hardware and OS is likely custom made and optimized for the console itself (which uses cartridges) so to add on generalist OS features such as a more robust UI, app store, web browser, onboard keyboard, touch screen, etc.. is likely to increase the cost significantly as well as be redundant as users may just use their phone for such things.

I'll be honest: I don't find it pointless.  While I do find PC to be superior, the appeal of the console is a high powered machine at a cost much lower than a gaming rig of equivalent power at the time.  $400 to play video games is far, far less than the $1,200 needed to play the same games at the same quality setting.  Yes, you can do far less, but you can also buy a much cheaper PC.  And for $500 I can get a decent windows PC from Dell.   That's $900 right there.  Can you make a gaming rig for $900?  Sure, if you already have a PC.  But if you don't and you don't have the skills to build one, well... you're looking at paying more.

So why bother?  Why not just buy the console, have a pc for other stuff, and call it a day?
It's the easier and better solution for many people.  Just not those who can do without.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

George

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2016, 03:17:23 PM »
While I do find PC to be superior, the appeal of the console is a high powered machine at a cost much lower than a gaming rig of equivalent power at the time.  $400 to play video games is far, far less than the $1,200 needed to play the same games at the same quality setting.  Yes, you can do far less, but you can also buy a much cheaper PC.  And for $500 I can get a decent windows PC from Dell.   That's $900 right there.  Can you make a gaming rig for $900?  Sure, if you already have a PC.  But if you don't and you don't have the skills to build one, well... you're looking at paying more.

$1,200 to build or buy a PC of equivalent power to a console?  You could build a more advanced machine than a current-gen console for just half of that.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2016, 04:33:24 PM »
While I do find PC to be superior, the appeal of the console is a high powered machine at a cost much lower than a gaming rig of equivalent power at the time.  $400 to play video games is far, far less than the $1,200 needed to play the same games at the same quality setting.  Yes, you can do far less, but you can also buy a much cheaper PC.  And for $500 I can get a decent windows PC from Dell.   That's $900 right there.  Can you make a gaming rig for $900?  Sure, if you already have a PC.  But if you don't and you don't have the skills to build one, well... you're looking at paying more.

$1,200 to build or buy a PC of equivalent power to a console?  You could build a more advanced machine than a current-gen console for just half of that.
Well I just did some quick checking and...
I think you're right.  Though its hard to tell.  AMD motherboards with PCI 3.0 are really cheap compared to the ones with only 2.0 and the FX chipsets are also cheap but max at quad core.  The AM3+ has the octo-core but none of the motherboards support PCI 3.0 so... confused.  Which means I'm just gonna assume you're right and move on.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 08:31:50 AM »
I'll be getting one for sure.