Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Another mass shooting
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2014, 08:08:27 PM »
From what I've gathered from several news articles, he was already under care of therapists for some other conditions (some specify Asperger's Syndrome, but many seem to omit this for some reason). His parents then became aware of the fact that he's been posting videos that most people would find at least alarming, e.g.:

So they notified both his therapists and the authorities, but after a chat with him they figured out everything is A-OK.

I mean, fine, he doesn't sound like he's about to go on a killing spree, but it sure as hell looks like he needed an intervention. It's probably not as clear-cut as "lol they didn't give him enough attention", but it really does seem like it could be prevented.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2014, 08:22:40 PM »
Holy shit, this guy is /fa/ incarnate

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2014, 08:27:10 PM »
His therapist thought everything was okay? Oops.

It seems like at some point we have to expect that some will still slip through the cracks of therapy.

I've been reading The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker who I mentioned earlier. It's pretty interesting. It works more on a personal safety level rather than mass safety but it does touch on it. And he mentions that if we accept that it happens rather than denial and separation ("something like this could never happen at my work place.") then we will be in a better mindset to notice when someone is about to become violent. So even if therapy can't prevent it then noticing clues right beforehand might or maybe at least keep you from getting hurt.
For example: maybe his roommates thought he was acting stranger than normal but didn't pay it any mind because they knew he was in therapy and getting help.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 08:58:43 PM by rooster »

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2014, 09:03:27 PM »
At a glance, his sense of entitlement is alarming, if nothing else.

A social ditch like a non-existent sex life sucks, but most people analyze this problem in a very different way than this guy.

In PPs video, there were three or four times that he said something along the lines of "look at me, I am magnificent." He felt as if he deserved sex because of his social status, which is really fucked.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2014, 09:54:43 PM »
He seemed a bit picky as well, any potential girlfriends had to be beautiful.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2014, 10:54:19 PM »
He seemed a bit picky as well, any potential girlfriends had to be beautiful.
And blonde.

Ghost of V

« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2014, 01:36:24 AM »
So, rooster... You're more open to the mental illness hypothesis now that some pseudo internet authority named Maddox supports it?  ::)

Anyways, that video is hard to watch. It seems like his idea of love and beauty were instilled within him by society. This video still doesn't justify pursuing him for mental illness before the shootings. He seems sane in the video, just off... There's nothing wrong with that.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 01:38:47 AM by Vauxhall »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2014, 02:11:59 AM »
No, because I didn't realize exactly how broad the term "mental illness" was. So if he feels isolated and can't relate to the people around him, who he clearly couldn't, then he's mentally ill. And apparently he was in therapy so there's that.

My point earlier is just that mental illness to a lot of people means something more obvious to see than seasonal depression. I guess maybe he had Asbergers which can be hard to spot as well. But knowing someone is mentally ill doesn't help much in preventing anything.

This video still doesn't justify pursuing him for mental illness before the shootings. He seems sane in the video, just off... There's nothing wrong with that.
Exactly. In our minds (for some of us at least), mentally ill people have clear signs of being unstable. He may seem off to you but he has a lot of dangerous signal words and context in that video. So even if you can't tell he's mentally ill you can tell that he has the potential for violence based on his perceived entitlement and rejection.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 02:50:23 PM by rooster »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2014, 08:45:55 PM »
So how did he get a gun?
Isn't there a law about giving guns to people with mental issues?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2014, 09:08:02 PM »
So how did he get a gun?

Yes. The law says they should have them.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2014, 10:35:38 PM »
So how did he get a gun?

That depends on the mental issue. He also didn't have any significant mental diagnosis.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2014, 10:53:18 PM »
All you have to do to (legally) obtain a handgun is not be a felon and truthfully fill out a checklist attesting to the fact that you aren't crazy.  The checklist is based on the honor system, of course.  This process assumes you are buying from a dealer.  Some states, such as my own, have even more lax laws regarding private gun sales.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2014, 12:55:28 AM »
All you have to do to (legally) obtain a handgun is not be a felon and truthfully fill out a checklist attesting to the fact that you aren't crazy.  The checklist is based on the honor system, of course.  This process assumes you are buying from a dealer.  Some states, such as my own, have even more lax laws regarding private gun sales.
Others have less lax laws.  I think California is one of the more strict ones.  Let me check...

...Or has been committed to a mental institution pursuant to Welfare and Institutions Code section 8100

So basically if he got committed, he can't get a gun. 
Which is kinda silly.
Plenty of crazy people never get committed.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2014, 01:40:44 AM »
Others have less lax laws.  I think California is one of the more strict ones.  Let me check...

...Or has been committed to a mental institution pursuant to Welfare and Institutions Code section 8100

So basically if he got committed, he can't get a gun. 
Which is kinda silly.
Plenty of crazy people never get committed.

Yes, CA is more strict.  I have lived there.  You can't have handgun magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds.  Good luck getting a CCW or a suppressor there as well. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:42:16 AM by junker »

Offline model 29

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2014, 03:51:13 PM »
So how did he get a gun?

Do you have a source for that?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2014, 04:27:22 PM »
So how did he get a gun?

I suggest ignoring Fappen's trolling.

« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2014, 10:09:31 PM »
So how did he get a gun?

I suggest ignoring Fappen's trolling.

"Elliot Rodger, the self-pitying Santa Barbara killer, passed background checks—three times—as he bought his Glock and Sig Sauer pistols."

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-05-27/santa-barbara-massacre-defies-gun-control-mental-health-proposals-4-blunt-points