Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Movies & Comics General
« Reply #600 on: July 23, 2017, 04:17:15 AM »
I suppose we're expected to assume that Superman's death erased the (enormous) controversy surrounding him and turned him into a universally-beloved martyr. Cyborg's "Relax, Alfred..." moment was about as funny as cancer, and the scene with the Flash up on the rooftop takes what had the potential to be a decent joke and ruins it with a horrendously-written and horrendously-delivered punchline. I get that he's supposed to be awkward and have poor social skills, but there are ways to make that funny, and this isn't one of them. Alfred is the only one getting any laughs here.

My view of the action and general aesthetic hasn't really changed since the last trailer. It's ugly, incoherent, drowning in CGI, and the villain is looking to be yet another generic CGI nothing who'll have another destructive DBZ-style beatdown with the heroes in the end. And speaking of Steppenwolf, he's so obviously just going to be a prelude to Darkseid for a sequel that it's tiring. I'd say that they should drop the pretense and just go straight to Darkseid, but they won't do that simply because Marvel is using Thanos right now.

Also, on the notion of an extremely gratuitous ass-shot.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Rama Set

• Round and round...
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 23, 2017, 01:07:27 PM »
They are re-shooting a bunch, so perhaps a bunch of this stuff will be moot by the time the finished project came out.
FE'ism requires suspension of disbelief...

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 25, 2017, 04:33:48 AM »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ben-afflecks-batman-future-doubt-as-warner-bros-plots-franchise-future-1023296

We've heard rumors like this before, but if THR is reporting it, it's almost certainly true. (Affleck has denied it, but of course he would.) It's a shame, as I liked Batfleck, but WB/DC were bound to run into this problem before too long, even if BvS had been well-received. What can you do with a Batman who's clearly at the end of his career? There's the Justice League, sure, but it's not the best jumping-off point for a solo Batman movie, let alone a new trilogy of them. It just goes to show how shortsighted it was to immediately jump to partially adapting TDKR for no better reason than it being the most famous and successful Batman story. It's interesting that the author speculates about legacy characters inheriting the name, because the idea that WB would make a Batman movie without Bruce Wayne being the man in the cowl is fucking insane. I'm not saying that there aren't any worthwhile stories about different Batmen, but for a big-budget, mainstream tentpole film - no, there's no way it'll happen, at least not any time in the next several years.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 25, 2017, 03:01:58 PM »
Batman Beyond was successful enough that I wouldn't write the idea off completely, though it seems unlikely.
Electro-Theologist, Poet, Philosopher, Musician, Etymologist, Egyptologist, Astro-Theologist, Geocentrist, Flat Earther, and Collector of Rare Books.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 11, 2017, 04:41:34 AM »
I also meant to comment on the news that the Flash movie will be an adaptation of Flashpoint. It seems like a really weird choice to turn his first solo movie into what'll essentially be another event movie. Some people have suggested that WB might use the time-travel/alternate-universe shenanigans involved as a way to retcon out the poorly-received elements of the DCEU, and/or possibly replace Batfleck with a younger actor with less A-list pull. But really, though, we all know that this is just going to be a grimdark Batman movie in disguise, starring Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Lauren Cohan as the alt-Batman and alt-Joker, respectively. The Flash himself might occupy the same role that Wolverine did in DoFP, but the movie won't truly be about him.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 11, 2017, 06:20:21 AM »
I'm sure it will be an attempted retcon of the less popular elements of the DC cinematic universe and yet another grimdark Batman movie, don't be so negative Saddam.

And if this doesn't work there's always Crisis the Movie.
Electro-Theologist, Poet, Philosopher, Musician, Etymologist, Egyptologist, Astro-Theologist, Geocentrist, Flat Earther, and Collector of Rare Books.

« Reply #606 on: August 11, 2017, 06:30:00 AM »
DCCU's big problem is that they saw batman as being so successful and assumed it was because of grimdark, not realizing that it was because batman is supposed to be grimdark and we liked it because it was batman.

This is why executives should not make movies based on numbers and polls.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 16, 2017, 06:50:50 PM »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • I pledge allegiance to Everything Now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 17, 2017, 09:55:17 AM »
Batman's outfit looks so hilariously uncomfortable in all the older movies. Honestly in a lot of Nolan's work, too. Batfleck doesn't seem as comfortable as many of the spandex heroes do, but it's better.
Quote from: garygreen date=1480782226
i also took an online quiz that said i was a giraffe.  and i guess you're dumb enough to believe that i must be because the internet said so.