geckothegeek

Re: Ask a Flat Earth Theorist Anything
« Reply #160 on: July 18, 2014, 02:09:02 AM »
Sorry, but yes.

If the earth is a plane, I would be able to see polaris with a telescope from anywhere in the surface, the same as I would be able to see the clouds in New York from Berlin with a telescope, excluding the obstruction of buildings and mountains, as well as the atmospheric distortion.
FEers use both of those reasons to explain the limited view of the stars.
But from South Africa, I can't see polaris or any othe star in the northern hemisphere, according to my observations or anyone else's observations.
Many northern stars are visible from SA at 30o S.

If the flat earth model proposed is a semi-spheroid over a flat ocean, then you are not talking about a flat earth, but rather a semi-round earth. In this case, all your model from its foundations loses its validity since you are applying plane theories and maths to a curved surface.

Also, given your argument that the distance to the stars noticeabely change, I must ask what method is used in the flat earth model to measure the distance to each star.
It's not my argument,  but, yes, FEers do manage to post (and re-post) wildly inaccurate measurements of the distance to object in the sky. Please see my thread in Flat Earth General critiquing EnaG for an example of Rowbotham's botched attempt to measure the distance to the Sun.

Also see my thread about "Ham Radio Measurements Of The Distance From The Earth To The Moon."

« Reply #161 on: August 17, 2014, 01:57:15 PM »
Hi- sooo... I'm new here. When I first came across this website I laughed, but this was quickly replaced with intrigue.
You guys have quite a compelling argument, and a model of physics that- well- actually kinda makes some sense. I still don't quite buy into it,
but I have found myself increasingly questioning all my pre-conceived notions on reality.
I'm now quite familiar with how you guys explain earthy phenomena, and how you believe the government is concealing the 'truth'
I just have a few questions- like, how do you explain this: http://earthsky.org/space/how-to-spot-the-international-space-station ?
I know that flat-earthers don't believe in the space program, nor in prolonged un-powered orbits because- well- you don't believe there
is anything TO orbit. But you can actually directly observe the ISS from your own backyard. Get the timing right, and you can even observe
shuttles docking with it. Using a powerful camera lens, you can clearly observe it's structure and confirm it really is man-made. Type "ISS
from earth" into google images to see what I mean.
Can a flat-earther offer their perspective on this? I'm not mocking, I am genuinely intrigued with the idea presented by this site.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #162 on: August 17, 2014, 07:23:41 PM »
Its a legitimate question. I am a Round Earther myself. I too began my visits to this site intrigued. I still am, in a way. But I think you will find that your intrigue, like mine, will gradually fade the more you realise the heights of illogic that are allowed to occur here.But I shan't let spoil it for you. I shall let you see it for yourself.

However, to be perfectly fair to Flat Earthers, as a student of the Bible and other holy texts, many of them, although not intended as science books in the first place, do assume a Flat Earth worldview. The Bible certainly does. The Qur'an does. I am exploring ancient Greek myth now, and it would appear that they did originally, although by the time of Aristotle, that was no longer the case. Most educated persons by about 400 BCE had determined that the Earth was a sphere, although they were still wrong insofar as they thought it was the center of the universe, and the Sun revolved around it, rather than the Sun being the center of our Solar System, with the Earth revolving around it. Of course, we have since learned that the Solar System itself is only one of many, and is NOT the center of the universe itself.

But I digress. The point I am reaching here is that you will be intrigued until such time as you ask more questions, and continue to get more and more bizarre answers, and you begin to realise you are getting the runaround. Then you will know that the FES doesn't have a compelling argument, they just know how to argue, but not logically. They are slick with words, but once you pin them logically, you've got them. I'll continue to observe this thread, and point that out to you. Good luck.

« Reply #163 on: August 23, 2014, 07:49:49 PM »
Hello, so I'm new to the site and was doing some research and found that many Flat Earthers believe that the "North Pole" is actually located in the center of the planet.  If this is true, how come it has a lower temperature and filled with ice compared to other bodies of land with water on the same plane?

Thork

« Reply #164 on: August 24, 2014, 02:14:19 PM »
Because the sun revolves around the centre of the disk along the equatorial regions. The centre and the rim (north and south poles) are therefore furthest from the sun and of course the coldest.

« Reply #165 on: August 25, 2014, 04:25:44 AM »
so how does the sun revolve around the other planets in our solar system?

Ghost of V

« Reply #166 on: August 25, 2014, 04:44:56 AM »

It doesn't.

Thork

« Reply #167 on: August 25, 2014, 09:04:03 AM »

It doesn't.
If you aren't able to provide a source, it probably means you are getting the answer wrong.

The planets revolve around the sun, albeit in pretty patterns as the sun revolves around the earth.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:05:51 AM by Thork »

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 25, 2014, 11:16:11 AM »

It doesn't.
If you aren't able to provide a source, it probably means you are getting the answer wrong.

The planets revolve around the sun, albeit in pretty patterns as the sun revolves around the earth.

Please tell us when we can observe any planet north or south of the Sun's "orbit" about the Northern Hub as you claim happens every time a planet completes as orbit of the Sun.
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

Thork

« Reply #169 on: August 25, 2014, 11:36:30 AM »
You can observe this any time you like. As long as its dark. And not cloudy. And you have a good telescope. Check a star chart for where to point your peepers.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 25, 2014, 04:33:26 PM »
You can observe this any time you like. As long as its dark. And not cloudy. And you have a good telescope. Check a star chart for where to point your peepers.
Obviously false. Why would one need a good telescope? How would one observe, for example, Mercury during a transit since it's not dark then? How far north does Jupiter go of the Sun's orbit? How often does Jupiter orbit the Sun? How often does it go retrograde? Please provide the data, to Zetetic method standards, that allow you to make this claim, "beyond the reach of contradiction"?
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

Thork

« Reply #171 on: August 25, 2014, 06:44:58 PM »
Obviously false. Why would one need a good telescope? How would one observe, for example, Mercury during a transit since it's not dark then?
With a telescope and a light filter. Why are you being contrarian? Observing something in the sky isn't any different whatever shape the earth is.

How far north does Jupiter go of the Sun's orbit? How often does Jupiter orbit the Sun? How often does it go retrograde? Please provide the data, to Zetetic method standards, that allow you to make this claim, "beyond the reach of contradiction"?
Read ENaG. I haven't time to individually pander to your endless silly questions.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 25, 2014, 07:10:40 PM »
How far north does Jupiter go of the Sun's orbit? How often does Jupiter orbit the Sun? How often does it go retrograde? Please provide the data, to Zetetic method standards, that allow you to make this claim, "beyond the reach of contradiction"?
Read ENaG. I haven't time to individually pander to your endless silly questions.
As near as I can tell, ENaG does not describe the motions of the planets relative to the sun.  In fact, I haven't seen where ENaG mentions planets at all.  Perhaps you could point out which chapter we should be looking at.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Thork

« Reply #173 on: August 25, 2014, 08:09:02 PM »
Meh. Read Ptolemy then.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 25, 2014, 08:21:40 PM »
Why?  Ptolemy was an RE'er.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Thork

« Reply #175 on: August 25, 2014, 08:55:07 PM »
Geocentrist.

Ghost of V

« Reply #176 on: August 26, 2014, 02:27:31 AM »
The Sun doesn't revolve around the Earth. The Sun floats above the Earth. This is basic FE theory. Where are you getting your information and how the hell does your FE model work if the Sun revolves around the Earth disc??

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 26, 2014, 03:38:10 AM »
Geocentrist.
Yes, Ptolemy was a round earth geocentrist.  Glad that we can finally agree on something.

Thork

« Reply #178 on: August 26, 2014, 08:47:18 AM »
The Sun doesn't revolve around the Earth. The Sun floats above the Earth. This is basic FE theory. Where are you getting your information and how the hell does your FE model work if the Sun revolves around the Earth disc??

Indeed. I think I have some 20,000 posts between the two sites. I am also pretty sure I have explained how the pattern is the same at least 50 times. search Ptolemy on either site. I have given far more information than I care to regurgitate for you again now.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 26, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »
How many times did you adequately explain how Ptolemy's round earth geocentric model could possibly work on a flat earth?