Offline rooster

• cock-a-doodle-doo, darlin'
    • View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #1780 on: May 09, 2017, 12:49:11 PM »
Well, yes. I won't dislike every single movie. But I'm pretty picky because overall, I don't like them. I'll go for a really really long time without watching a single one and then I'll catch up on the ones that I thought looked interesting - hence the list I posted recently.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: May 10, 2017, 01:46:11 PM »
I'll just end up sounding like Saddam ranting about Iron Fist sooner or later

ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Bird with a broken wing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: May 14, 2017, 12:00:13 AM »
Sword Art Online (Tomohiko Itō, Season 1 Episodes 1-12, 2012)

Holy shit. This is actually the worst anime I've ever seen. My nephew rants about it all the time and finally made me start watching it with him and it's like the anime version of Suicide Squad in its awfulness; every second is terrible but I can't stop watching and laughing and making fun of it with him.

I'm suffering but I'm hooked.
Quote from: garygreen date=1480782226
i also took an online quiz that said i was a giraffe.  and i guess you're dumb enough to believe that i must be because the internet said so.

Offline rooster

• cock-a-doodle-doo, darlin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: May 14, 2017, 12:03:13 AM »
Oh god, the harem trope too! So bad. I enjoyed the idea but pretty much hated all the characters except for the main girl. Also, after they leave the game it gets bizarre and so much worse.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: May 14, 2017, 02:38:07 PM »
capeshit capeshit

Logan (James Mangold, 2017)

This was great. My one gripe with it was the Wolverine clone. The idea of giving Wolverine an evil counterpart has been played out (in one form or another) by the franchise to death now, it was an unwelcome dose of goofiness to a movie that was clearly making a point of staying on the gritty end of the capeshit spectrum, and most importantly of all, it just wasn't necessary. Logan's deteriorating physical condition and diminishing healing already provided all the stakes and tension needed for the fights. Everything else was solid, though. The acting was good from everyone (even the guy playing the villain, whom I was dreading after how obnoxious I found him in Narcos), the music was nice, and overall, the film was a worthy finale for the titular character.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Bird with a broken wing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: May 16, 2017, 12:02:30 AM »
Double Down (Neil Breen, 2005)

I...I want to write a summary of this film, but I honestly don't know what happened. I just...I don't know. That was somehow the worst and greatest experience of my life. I would defer an explanation to Crudblud, but I don't know if he can help any more than I can. It was a thing that kind of vaguely happened and I think I'm retarded now.
Quote from: garygreen date=1480782226
i also took an online quiz that said i was a giraffe.  and i guess you're dumb enough to believe that i must be because the internet said so.

Offline Crudblud

• A Most Respectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: May 16, 2017, 06:42:35 AM »
Double Down (Neil Breen)

I am 100% with Snupes on this one.

The best explanation of the plot, such as it is, that I can manage, is as follows: Neil Breen is an elite hacker/soldier/agent/spy/assassin who can literally do anything except prevent his wife from getting shot to death, and that makes him angry, though you can't tell because his superpower is not being able to convey any sort of emotion or recognisably human trait, so he hangs out in the desert with her corpse, a bunch of flip phones, broken laptops (his other superpower is the ability to use non-functioning and/or outright broken communications technology to... do something... possibly...), empty cans of tuna, vials full of drugs etc. and plots his revenge on someone whose identity is never made clear (this is a major element of the film: at no point do you have any fucking clue who anyone is or what they're doing) through means which are never really specified. There's also a side "plot" about him assassinating random people for some guys he apparently works for, possibly the CIA, it is not exactly clear, but this goes nowhere and doesn't seem to serve a purpose other than to give Neil Breen more time to narrate what he's doing and thereby make everything more confusing than it already was.

Reading the above probably makes this film sound terrible (it is), but in Neil Breen's clumsy, incoherent, thoroughly ugly and uncomfortable style there is something unique and compelling. Compared to a lot of low budget, badly made films, Neil Breen's productions have a kind of weird blockheaded sincerity at their core, and no matter how brain-meltingly awful they are, they bear the mark of something that was made by someone who believes in what they're doing, furthermore that they are the only one who could have conceived of it and brought it to fruition. I can think of plenty of well-made films that have no heart in them or any remarkable features, this is the exact opposite. A film so singularly, amazingly bad as this should not exist, yet here it is.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 06:44:48 AM by Crudblud »
I've never seen the show, but just from reading the synopses on Wikipedia and articles like these, I can tell I'd hate it.