Geocentric Round Earth
« on: July 03, 2017, 02:32:08 PM »
If the government and academia are lying to us about cosmology, perhaps it's more likely they're lying to us about the layout of the heavens, than they are the shape of the earth.
A lot of what academia is telling us about the sun, moon and stars seems counter-intuitive.
If you had no knowledge of academic science, and were to look up at the night sky, would you think the earth is spinning, or the heavens are?
Would you think the sun is 400 times bigger than the moon, but 400 times further away, so they only appear to be the same size and the same distance from the earth, or would you think they are just as they appear, the same size and the same distance from the earth?
Would you think the stars are millions of times bigger than the earth, and trillions of miles away?
That the gaps between the stars are trillions of times larger than they appear?
That the sun orbits the center of our galaxy at 400 000 miles per hour, but where is the evidence for this motion?
Where is the evidence for any of this?
How can mainstream science prove any of this to common people?
I'm not taking their word for any of it, their word doesn't mean a whole lot to me, I require evidence.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
Re: Geocentric Round Earth
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 02:57:22 PM »
If the government and academia are lying to us about cosmology, perhaps it's more likely they're lying to us about the layout of the heavens, than they are the shape of the earth.
A lot of what academia is telling us about the sun, moon and stars seems counter-intuitive.
If you had no knowledge of academic science, and were to look up at the night sky, would you think the earth is spinning, or the heavens are?
Would you think the sun is 400 times bigger than the moon, but 400 times further away, so they only appear to be the same size and the same distance from the earth, or would you think they are just as they appear, the same size and the same distance from the earth?
Would you think the stars are millions of times bigger than the earth, and trillions of miles away?
That the sun orbits the center of our galaxy at 400 000 miles per hour, but where is the evidence for this motion?
I'm not taking their word for any of it, their word doesn't mean a whole lot to me, I require evidence.

There is evidence everywhere.  Primitive man thought like you do.  Then science came along and gradually exposed the true nature of the solar system and the universe.  A long way to go but putting your head in the sand is no way to go.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 04:27:20 PM »

You could always study and learn about why they say what they say.  You seem to assume they are just guessing and making stuff up.  Upon further study (using something besides flat earth youtube videios) you might discover that the claims are well founded.

Offline Dither

• The night above the dingle starry,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 09:39:44 PM »
I held to the Geocentric Round earth model before becoming a Flat Earther.
I did this because I could not reconcile the scriptures with the Heliocentric model.

Its clear to me now that the scriptures are speaking of a Flat Earth.
I am surprised by the antagonism of the Round Earth Geocentric community against us FEers.
I'm even more surprised by the Young Earth Creationists who hate both of us equally.

Anyway, If you are advocating Geo Round Earth then at least we have that much in common.

Caveat, This forum is non religious and I do not represent the views of the majority on here.   
I am coming from a Christian Flat Earth position.
A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

Offline Smokified

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 11:06:43 PM »
I did this because I could not reconcile the scriptures with the Heliocentric model.

I am surprised by the antagonism of the Round Earth Geocentric community against us FEers.
I'm even more surprised by the Young Earth Creationists who hate both of us equally.

Anyway, If you are advocating Geo Round Earth then at least we have that much in common.

Caveat, This forum is non religious and I do not represent the views of the majority on here.   

"The scriptures" are wrong.  There is physical evidence of this you can see for yourself.  There is no question whatsoever that the earth is a globe.

Offline Dither

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 12:17:01 AM »
"The scriptures" are wrong. 

Are you willing to state your own personal belief on here? (Please be specific)   
A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 01:59:09 AM »

There is evidence everywhere.  Primitive man thought like you do.  Then science came along and gradually exposed the true nature of the solar system and the universe.  A long way to go but putting your head in the sand is no way to go.
Have you yourself critically explored the evidence or are you assuming it's there and incontrovertible?
If you have, care to share?

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 02:04:52 AM »

You could always study and learn about why they say what they say.  You seem to assume they are just guessing and making stuff up.  Upon further study (using something besides flat earth youtube videios) you might discover that the claims are well founded.
I'm open to both possibilities, that they are just guessing and making stuff up, and that they have excellent evidence, and any shade in between.
Feel free to post any evidence you have offhand here, evidence as in something that can be verified by stubborn, hard-nosed peasants such as myself with their own eyes and ears.

Offline Oami

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 02:12:52 AM »

I don't see them lying about cosmology.

I wouldn't call the knowledge about the earth spinning "academic". Most learn it in elementary school if not earlier. Well, I learned it from my mother for some time before school. I don't remember when.

If, for some reason, I didn't know about the shape of the earth, then I probably wouldn't know about the existence of England, nor the existence of the English language... which means that I wouldn't be having this conversation anyway.

And furthermore... if my mother didn't know about the shape of the earth, then she'd probably never had known about the existence of the place that actually was my father's home city... and this would obviously look very bad for me.

Maybe you could start by looking up at the night sky from several parts of the world, far enough from each other. This doesn't give you all the answers you want, but it's a start.

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 05:08:18 AM »

I realize flat earthers vary spiritually, from monotheist to atheist to pantheist.
I'm an agnostic, for the record.
I'm also antiscience, to some extent, and somewhat of an epistemological anarchist.
I think science began as something good, but has since become dogmatic and oppressive.
I'm not here to advocate anything for now, except open-mindedness, freethinking and civility, I'm just here to share and explore ideas.
That being said, right now I'm finding geocentric round earth more attractive than flat earth, and I'd like to explore it further.
You mentioned there's a community of geocentric round earthers, are there any here, on this forum?
Could you link me to them?

Offline Dither

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 05:44:18 AM »
You mentioned there's a community of geocentric round earthers, are there any here, on this forum?

There are no Geocentric RE's on this forum to my knowledge,

Most if not all of them (GRE's) are either Roman Catholics or Reformed Confessional Protestants.
There may be some Orthodox Believers out there as well who hold to this position.
Again, these are people who cannot reconcile the scriptures with a spinning earth. 

The Roman Catholic Geo's will more than likely chat with you but the Protestant Geo's I was involved with require membership to a Confessional church and because you are a confirmed agnostic its not likely you will make much headway with them. I left my church as I was silenced from discussing this subject (Flat Earth) and very soon after that I was also kicked off the Reformed forums (The reason they gave me was I had no church)

Thanks for chatting and being open towards new ideas, you have encouraged me  :)

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 05:45:52 AM by Dither »

Offline Dither

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 07:37:09 AM »
Antithecystem  :D

You may also be interested in this movie (I haven't seen it as yet)
You can probably track it down on youtube if you haven't watched it already.
Its basically a Geocentric Round Earth doco funded by some Roman Catholics.

http://www.theprinciplemovie.com/

If you watch it let me know what you think.

Offline Smokified

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 03:34:51 PM »
"The scriptures" are wrong. 

Are you willing to state your own personal belief on here? (Please be specific)

I don't have a "belief".  I am capable of processing the information to come to an accurate scientific conclusion.  Entirely different than a belief.

You have a belief that is not based on any real evidence that you are trying to use to contradict the facts.  There is no intelligence in that kind of thought process.

Offline Dither

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 09:18:19 PM »
I am capable of processing the information to come to an accurate scientific conclusion.

Based on your scientific conclusions, where did mankind come from?

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 01:13:52 AM »
Why would you even try?  Why should the shape of the earth affect the message of the scriptures? ???
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 02:43:23 AM »

There are no Geocentric RE's on this forum to my knowledge,

Most if not all of them (GRE's) are either Roman Catholics or Reformed Confessional Protestants.
There may be some Orthodox Believers out there as well who hold to this position.
Again, these are people who cannot reconcile the scriptures with a spinning earth. 

The Roman Catholic Geo's will more than likely chat with you but the Protestant Geo's I was involved with require membership to a Confessional church and because you are a confirmed agnostic its not likely you will make much headway with them. I left my church as I was silenced from discussing this subject (Flat Earth) and very soon after that I was also kicked off the Reformed forums (The reason they gave me was I had no church)

Thanks for chatting and being open towards new ideas, you have encouraged me  :)

It's funny how most GREs are catholic.
I guess it's cause the catholic church has a history of espousing GRE, where as it never espoused flat earth, + yea that guy who made the Principle was Catholic, Robert Sungenis, I'm sure he turned a lot of people onto GRE.
I heard of that doc, never saw it thou, would like to see it.
Right now I've banned myself from youtube, so when I'm allowed back on in a week, I'll see if I can find it.
Yea I wouldn't mind talking to some Roman Catholic GREs, or any GREs,

And You're welcome.
We shouldn't let anyone shame us from asking questions or examining things critically for ourselves.
I say question and critique anything/everything, not only specific subjects like physics, chemistry and cosmology, but science itself, its methodology, if it even has a consistent one, its corruptibility.
Only those masquerading as being objective have something to fear from questions/criticisms, and no one and no thing can be perfectly objective, there's no such thing, we are subjects after all.
We don't owe anyone our assent.
The economy is buyer beware, and information, science is business.
Just as there is a need to question the politicians and the media, and form our own independent media, we ought to question scientists, and form our own independent science.
No one and no thing can or should have a monopoly on information, evidence, metaphysics or method, competition is good.

Offline Dither

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 06:20:29 AM »
Why should the shape of the earth affect the message of the scriptures? ???

That depends on how you view the scriptures,

If you view the scriptures as a cultural record of an obscure religious sect then it doesn't mean a tinker's cuss.

But to a person who views the scriptures as infailable, then it absolutely affects the message as there are warnings in the scriptures regarding holding on to false views against the knowledge of the truth and the scriptures do promote a Flat Earth cosmology as do many ancient cultures. (Ancient cultures also share a deluge mythology)

Jesus is the WAY the TRUTH and the LIFE, He is not just the way and the life.

The message of salvation becomes skewered because the Truth part is missing.

Offline Dither

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 07:00:40 AM »
The catholic church has a history of espousing GRE, where as it never espoused flat earth,

Its true that the Church was aware of the Greek Globe model yet many early Saints and Church Fathers were sceptical of the antipodes idea and some considered it heretical.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipodes

Offline Smokified

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 09:14:23 PM »
I am capable of processing the information to come to an accurate scientific conclusion.

Based on your scientific conclusions, where did mankind come from?

Where mankind came from and whether or not the earth is flat are 2 completely different things.

Also, your scriptures are irrelevant.  The earth is not flat, regardless of what it says in the bible.  I am not sure how you feel it is valid to place faith in front of facts.