Flat Earthery is plane-ly false
« on: June 21, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »
The flat Earth concept can be destroyed on any clear night by observing satellites in the sky, provided one accepts either common sense or sanity as valid stances.

Unless governments around the world are launching one-shot satellites every night to maintain the conspiracy, or using holograms to project satellites into the night sky (or something equally insane), a flat Earth simply won't support a constellation of orbiting objects. They'll fall right over the edge, giving you nothing but blurry images.

Worth noting is that spherical trigonometry and astro-trigonometry are exact sciences, which only work in a spherical environment.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Earthery is plane-ly false
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 10:00:15 PM »
Why can't the satellites rotate around the same barycenter the run and moon orbit around under the Flat Earth model?

Offline Oami

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 10:35:56 PM »
Why don't they fall?

Religious people may claim that God has created the sun and the moon, and they don't fall because God wants them not to; but God has not created satellites, so this cannot apply. Or can it?

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 10:41:42 PM »
If you are looking up at the night sky and you see flashes of light then it is advised you see an optometrist. Your retinas could be detaching. If you get an all clear then maybe you should lay off the drugs

People make up all sorts of stories. Iridium flares?? Never heard of anything more preposterous in my life.

Offline Boodidlie

• God is sovereign and I'm just along for the ride
    • View Profile
    • dadmansabode
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 02:45:12 AM »
Why can't the satellites (or the ISS) rotate around the same barycenter the run and moon orbit around under the Flat Earth model?

regardless ..... you claim the ISS does not exist ?? < just a media fabrication ..... right ?
..................................................... ><> God's ability is according to his will <><

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 09:04:01 PM »
Why can't the satellites rotate around the same barycenter the run and moon orbit around under the Flat Earth model?

What about the ones on a polar orbit?
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Dither

• The night above the dingle starry,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 04:52:37 AM »
Why don't they fall?

Why don't planes fall?

You are assuming satellites have no engines or propellers. Its possible they have nuclear engines (like submarines) and can run for years without refuelling, we already know they do have nuclear satellites so why not.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nuclear-powered-satellites-space-2016-3/?r=AU&IR=T

They (NASA) could also possibly be utilising magnetic fields for high flying craft like satellites, I would assume some technology has been suppressed from the general public, we are not privy to all the information. 

A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 10:51:46 AM »
They (NASA) could also possibly be utilising magnetic fields for high flying craft like satellites, I would assume some technology has been suppressed from the general public, we are not privy to all the information.

Counterpoint
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline Oami

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 05:49:54 AM »
Why don't planes fall?

You are assuming satellites have no engines or propellers. Its possible they have nuclear engines (like submarines) and can run for years without refuelling, we already know they do have nuclear satellites so why not.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nuclear-powered-satellites-space-2016-3/?r=AU&IR=T

So I could believe that they stay in the sky with a technology that you cannot prove to exist, or I could just believe that the earth is round and no such technology is required.

It's all a matter of belief. We may all choose, what to believe in. Usually I pick the most simple option.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 07:47:49 AM »
Why don't they fall?
Because once they've escaped the Earth's cover, they are being affected by Universal Acceleration.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 03:42:59 AM »
Why don't planes fall?

So I could believe that they stay in the sky with a technology that you cannot prove to exist, or I could just believe that the earth is round and no such technology is required.

It's all a matter of belief. We may all choose, what to believe in. Usually I pick the most simple option.

Orbital mechanics are really quite simple once you get past the problems of a rocket design that can get you there.   We got past that in the 60's.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?