How do we know it's not octagonal?
« on: May 30, 2017, 05:37:09 PM »
A fellow member pointed out to me that nobody knows the shape of the earth as it stands. The circle theory hasn't been entirely proven, so how do we know it's not an octagon? In the Bible, God rested on the 7th day, but what about the 8th day? Octagons are commonly referred to, in the Hindu bible, as godly figures and symbols of nature and purity. Ancient Chinese explorers throughout the Han dynasty used octagonal maps to separate territories and are largely accurate to this day. Before the Greek gods were influenced by the Romans, there were only the 8 powerful deities. These deities were commonly associated into one worldy figure, each making up a side of the octagon.

I don't know, but it seems plausible to me. It's a serious consideration in my mind.

geckothegeek

Re: How do we know it's not octagonal?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 05:59:34 PM »
A fellow member pointed out to me that nobody knows the shape of the earth as it stands. The circle theory hasn't been entirely proven, so how do we know it's not an octagon? In the Bible, God rested on the 7th day, but what about the 8th day? Octagons are commonly referred to, in the Hindu bible, as godly figures and symbols of nature and purity. Ancient Chinese explorers throughout the Han dynasty used octagonal maps to separate territories and are largely accurate to this day. Before the Greek gods were influenced by the Romans, there were only the 8 powerful deities. These deities were commonly associated into one worldy figure, each making up a side of the octagon.
onm
I don't know, but it seems plausiblse to me. It's a serious consideration in my mind.
e
The shape of the earth has been known for quite some time. Unless you completely deny reality, there is no question about it.
But keep in mind that this  IS The Flat Earth Society website and it belongs to them and you have to take that into account in anything you read about anything that the earth is not a globe.

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 09:33:35 PM »
Well, first, let's assume you mean "octohedral" and not "octagonal" - because an octagonal earth would be flat - and since the Wiki carefully points out that the Flat Earth Society doesn't know (or at least doesn't agree) on what's past the giant ice wall - "octagonal" works just fine here.

Octohedral would be problematic for reasons that both FE and RE folks might agree upon.

If we're trapped on just one flat face of the octohedron - then on the face of things, this would be a Flat Earth - but all of the fancy ways the sun and moon might work would be broken and things like gravity would cause problems that the normal FE view of things has carefully avoided.

If we're able to roam the entire octohedron - then we're all wondering what happens as we cross over one of the edges - and neither FE nor RE folks very much approve of the idea of "edges" that must be crossed.

So octohedral earth is much MUCH less plausible then FE or RE.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 05:41:29 PM »
Well, first, let's assume you mean "octohedral" and not "octagonal" - because an octagonal earth would be flat - and since the Wiki carefully points out that the Flat Earth Society doesn't know (or at least doesn't agree) on what's past the giant ice wall - "octagonal" works just fine here.

Octohedral would be problematic for reasons that both FE and RE folks might agree upon.

If we're trapped on just one flat face of the octohedron - then on the face of things, this would be a Flat Earth - but all of the fancy ways the sun and moon might work would be broken and things like gravity would cause problems that the normal FE view of things has carefully avoided.

If we're able to roam the entire octohedron - then we're all wondering what happens as we cross over one of the edges - and neither FE nor RE folks very much approve of the idea of "edges" that must be crossed.

So octohedral earth is much MUCH less plausible then FE or
(I FULLY AGREE)