Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: The Dome
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 05:26:52 PM »
I have not seen anything about a dome in Earth Not a Globe, or any of the other published Flat Earth Literature. I have no idea where you are getting your information from.

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 06:08:23 PM »
Well, to be fair - as I'm sure you're aware, some FE'ers here do claim believe in the "dome" - probably from Bible literalism - although I agree that the Wiki does not say that.

RE'ers who come here to discuss such things can get confused about the multiple explanations for some parts of FET - and should learn to make allowances accordingly.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2017, 05:50:52 PM »
I have no idea where you are getting your information from.
Really, Tom, no idea?  You've been a member here for three and a half years, and have no idea where a person might get the information that some flat earth folks believe in a dome?
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2017, 07:03:02 PM »
Really, Tom, no idea?  You've been a member here for three and a half years, and have no idea where a person might get the information that some flat earth folks believe in a dome?
I can gladly join Tom in saying that I have no idea where this misinformation originated.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

geckothegeek

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2017, 09:24:36 PM »
I have no idea where you are getting your information from.

Here is what I have read about the dome.
What I am looking for are corrections, additions or clarifications from FES experts.
I am just interested in as much information about the dome as possible.
No debate intended.:
Some say it is made of water. Some say it is made of ice. Some say it is made of brass or some other metal.
The dome is solid.
Nothing can get in or beyond it.
Space travel is impossible.
Space travel is a fake and a lie.
So is NASA.
Some say the sun, the moon and the stars are just below the dome.
Again.
Just looking for any consensus amongst FE's ?
I would think Tom Bishop would have some expertise on the subject ?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 02:12:03 AM by geckothegeek »

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2017, 03:47:30 PM »
You're looking for consensus where none exists.

When you drill down to any specific feature of FET, you'll find multiple - often conflicting - answers.

The "Dome" thing is something that the people who arrive at FET from the direction of the Bible believe - it pretty much says it right there - it's a dome, it's made of water - God created it when he "divided the waters" to make the oceans and the dome ("the firmament" in most biblical translations..."the sky" in others).

The "Not-dome" thing seems to come from the FE'ers who arrive at FET from a "what we can actually observe" direction (the "Zetetic Council" group who run this website).  Since they do not directly observe a dome made of water (or anything else for that matter) - they wisely (IMHO) take the "Occam's Razor" approach and say that if there is no proof, we'll assume it doesn't exist.   They do sometimes seem to go a bit far and claim that they've never heard this claim...which is hardly plausible...but it's fair of them to express clearly the view that without evidence it's not credible.

If you want more information about the biblical-origins version of FET, this is most certainly the wrong place to look for it.   But there are a BUNCH of video presentations on YouTube by people who like to talk about FET at various religious gatherings...those people do talk about this dome/firmament thing.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2017, 08:35:25 PM »
Quote from: geckothegeek
I would think Tom Bishop would have some expertise on the subject ?

Really, you would think Tom would have expertise on a subject that he just told you he didn't know exists? While there are multiple versions of FET out there, Tom really is an expert in the original, as described by Rowbotham. Rowbotham does not mention a dome. So I'm failing to see why you think he'd be an expert on it, or (as he expressly doesn't believe in it) would care about it at all.

At any rate the consensus here seems to be that it doesn't exist, so while I'm sure you were chomping at the bit to argue over the specifics and maybe hurl insults at the respondee, perhaps it's time to swallow your disappointment and move on.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 08:38:54 PM by Roundy »
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2017, 01:13:02 PM »
I would just like to see the subject of the dome explained, too....by FE's.
(Am not an FE'er but...)

I think you have your explanation.  There are AT LEAST three or four different Flat Earth groups - some base their beliefs on religious grounds - they tend to believe in the dome because the bible says it exists.  Others are of the "zetetic" approach which basically says that unless you can do the experiment for yourself - you can deny it's validity.

This group (tfes.org) has a Wiki that does not claim that there is a dome.

So continuing to ask them about the dome isn't going to get you anywhere.

For the purposes of discussions here - there is no dome.    There are a couple of the religious-FE'ers here who argue as much with the other FE'ers as you and I might - but since they have ZERO proof of the dome (other than literalist bible claims) - they may safely be ignored.

My first attempt  on this website was on the subject of how amateur radio operators had  done "Moon Bounce" and had come up with an estimate of the distance from the earth to the moon. I think the details were fairly well covered in detail.

Arguments of the form "Some other people did this experiment and it proves X, Y and Z" are not well accepted here.   A common response will be "Did you do that experiment yourself?" - and of course, you didn't.   Hence either you're mistaken - or the people who claimed to have done the experiment are a part of "The Great Conspiracy" - and any such evidence will simply be dismissed.   So unless you actually did this experiment - you're out on a limb here.

Again - if you want to be able to discuss things here - you need arguments that involve only the evidence of our own eyes - preferably with a minimum of fancy equipment.

It's ridiculously easy to disprove FET using nothing more than your own eyes.   A trip to Australia and watching how the stars move.  Searching online for flights from Australia to South America and South Africa.   Going to the equator and watching how moon is rotated 90 degrees compared to how it looks in the northern USA or Europe.

These are all ridiculously easy experiments - and not one of them produces results that FET can explain.

So - let's figure out what the FE'ers believe about those phenomena...every single time I've tried, I get silence.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2017, 03:32:43 PM »
As far as I am aware the bible just says that there is a firmament of some type over the earth. I do not believe that it describes a dome specifically. The firmament could be a box or an infinite ceiling. I do not know how or why some people have interpreted the texts as a dome.

Offline Dither

• The night above the dingle starry,
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2017, 09:57:52 PM »
As far as I am aware the bible just says that there is a firmament of some type over the earth. I do not believe that it describes a dome specifically.

In Genesis Chapter One the Bible describes waters being divided above and below the earth.
Its true it doesn't specifically say "Dome" but it does say there is water up there.
Some may suggest that the waters collapsed during the Deluge when the windows of heaven were opened.
However, the Bible speaks of the possibility of windows still being opened after the Deluge.

Interestingly, the Genesis account does not work with a round earth model and the Bible goes out of its way to suggest the earth is flat but try telling any of this to most Christians and you'll be considered a heretic. 

A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2017, 01:43:24 PM »

Ever considered that it was all just an effort to describe what they saw in a time of ignorance, and now we know better, I mean water above? Clouds, you know where the rain comes from maybe.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2017, 11:07:56 PM »

Ever considered that it was all just an effort to describe what they saw in a time of ignorance, and now we know better, I mean water above? Clouds, you know where the rain comes from maybe.

Bingo.  They had some pretty silly science in the bible.   Too lazy to look it up but remember when the guy had his sheep look at sticks while mating so the lambs would be spotted or black?
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline louise

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2017, 08:12:58 AM »
Hi
I beleive In The dome ;)
Becasue of The bible and The book of enoch, which is Telling In details about the parth of the sun and the moon, the stars, the ports in which they go in and out of.
But actually it was the us operations in the 50' and 60' called operations Dominic and operations fishbowl, which first led me in the dome direction, not the biblical words, easy to find the video about those us operations, showing how the us armies was desperate to find out the size of the dome by hundreds of rockets shouting straight up, after they can back from then operations high jump on the South Pole, as if they just found egdes and now wanna to know "how high" is it  ;)
Btw we see the both the sun and the moon, covered in clouds, which means they got to be very close!

All the best

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 08:55:03 PM »
Hi
I beleive In The dome ;)
Becasue of The bible and The book of enoch, which is Telling In details about the parth of the sun and the moon, the stars, the ports in which they go in and out of.
But actually it was the us operations in the 50' and 60' called operations Dominic and operations fishbowl, which first led me in the dome direction, not the biblical words, easy to find the video about those us operations, showing how the us armies was desperate to find out the size of the dome by hundreds of rockets shouting straight up, after they can back from then operations high jump on the South Pole, as if they just found egdes and now wanna to know "how high" is it  ;)
Btw we see the both the sun and the moon, covered in clouds, which means they got to be very close!

All the best

Operation Fishbowl was to test high altitude nuclear explosions - they wanted to know if enough destructive power could be produced at those altitudes to shoot down a nuclear missile using another nuclear missile.  Fishbowl was a part of Dominic.  They didn't shoot "hundreds of rockets" - there were exactly four launch attempts - only three of which left the launch pad and only one of which actually exploded.

Operation HighJump was an effort to set up a monitoring station near the South Pole to track possible Soviet attacks from planes flying over the South Pole...kinda bizzarre thing to do - but a lot of crazy stuff happened in the cold war.

Offline Jonny5

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2017, 03:09:12 AM »
Any theories on what we are planning with the dome?
I know that antarctica has been employing large crews for "research and science" .
Why are we developing antarctica?
I was thinking of possible dome removal.
What happens when you remove the dome?
What happens?

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2017, 05:11:45 AM »
I didn't search back old threads when I joined but dang, you guys don't get out much.

We may be down to only a couple % of people that actually have read and understand the Bible.

One Nation under God...nope, they don't know him.
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

Offline CriticalThinker

• Polite and Pragmatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2017, 02:08:19 PM »
I didn't search back old threads when I joined but dang, you guys don't get out much.

We may be down to only a couple % of people that actually have read and understand the Bible.

Perhaps because the phrase "under God" wasn't added until 1954.  The US was founded on the principle of freedom of religion.  As in the freedom to practice whatever your religion is without official state sanction.  The founding fathers also expressly forbid the creation of an official state religion.  Not all denominations of Christianity take the Bible as a literal historical document or direct wording from the mouth of God.  Some believe that it is more allegorical in nature and used as a teaching tool not unlike how we use children's books.

Just a little historical context as to why perhaps not all FE supporters use scripture as a literal description of the shape of the earth for things like the presence or absence of a dome.

Thank you,

CriticalThinker
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Offline J-Man

• "Let's go Brandon ! I agree" >Your President<
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2017, 08:56:19 PM »

Perhaps because the phrase "under God" wasn't added until 1954.  The US was founded on the principle of freedom of religion.  As in the freedom to practice whatever your religion is without official state sanction.  The founding fathers also expressly forbid the creation of an official state religion.  Not all denominations of Christianity take the Bible as a literal historical document or direct wording from the mouth of God.  Some believe that it is more allegorical in nature and used as a teaching tool not unlike how we use children's books.

Just a little historical context as to why perhaps not all FE supporters use scripture as a literal description of the shape of the earth for things like the presence or absence of a dome.

Thank you,

CriticalThinker

Couple decade before the fathers hooked us up, 80% went to church and the bible was the most taught. carry on....
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2017, 09:39:41 PM »

I actually read through the bible (King James' version) once.   Started at page 1 and read through to the end.   I've gotta say that if you read through it like that, rather than dipping into it and pulling out odd sections under the command of some priest - you get an entirely different view of the book.

It's painful and turgid - it's self-contradictory in hundreds of ways.   God comes out as a totally evil, arbitrary bastard...even if he was real, *I* wouldn't worship him.   What a nasty piece of work!

Basically, the book is a mess.   It's very clear that it's been patched together and hacked about by every generation or two of religious "translators" to make it fit their ideas of what it should be.   Each person who did that made a really half-assed job of it - leaving those inconsistencies all over the place.

If you think you might just maybe be religious - pick up the book you're supposed to use to run your life - read it, like a novel, from cover to cover.  Trust me, you'll be an atheist afterwards!

Offline elijah

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2017, 08:40:50 AM »
Really hard to get any information on the dome, there are several videos of objects hitting this dome though, I love how majority of mainstream religions and  cultures reference this dome so many times. Also huge military figures and political powers have come out and discussed the dome, I will provide quotes and videos that can hopefully help you understand. A other quite interesting thing to note is the Great Rift, most cultures and religions have taken note of this Great Rift as a crack in the sky, Christians see it as heavens window (I think), Australian aboriginals thought it was where a monster by the name Yura lived. I keep blabbin' on but a other cool thing is Stone Handbags, typically they're seen as hand bags though they have to where to store things, I don't know if the name is just because how it looks but if you pay close attention to any FE it should appear as the dome, interesting huh. There are also people like Hilary Clinton who has actually spoken of the firmament several times and her goal to break it, at one stage she said something about that she hasn't been able to penetrate it as of yet but there are several thousand cracks. ecks dee

Hilary Clinton "I know that we still haven't shattered that highest and hardest glass ceiling, but someday someone will and hopefully sooner then we might think right now. "

Hilary Clinton "I know it may be hard to see right now but we're all standing under the glass ceiling."

Hilary Clinton "Although we weren't able to shatter that highest hardest glassing ceiling, thanks to you we have about 18million cracks in it."

Hilary Clinton "I can't believe we just put the biggest crack in that glass ceiling,"

was going to include more but got lazy, it's not hard to research some of it for yourself