Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
Question about perspective.
« on: May 18, 2017, 12:52:05 PM »
So I was reading in the Wiki about the FE "perspective effect" - as shown in this diagram:

It's an interesting concept.

It says (in effect) that perspective isn't a "symmetrical" effect - it forces things downwards toward the horizon with increasing distance - right?   I say not "symmetrical" because it evidently doesn't push things that are below the horizon upwards.

Then we're told that this is a defect of human vision - but that can't be the cause because cameras produce the same effects...so perhaps cameras have the same effect built into them so they take "natural" looking photos?

Trouble with that is that if I turn my camera upside down and take a photo - the same effect happens - the depression happens downwards.

For that to be the case, then this has to be caused by the Earth/Atmosphere - and not by the camera/eye.

So I think the Wiki could use some correction here.

Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Re: Question about perspective.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 09:22:15 PM »
Perspective only happens inside eye or camera. It does not happen out in the scene being viewed which is the faulty assumption in that diagram. Nothing is actually forced down to the horizon out in the world we are viewing, and so the idea that perspective could hide something behind the earth that is actually located up in the sky is completely incorrect.

Here is a video that explains it pretty well:

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:34:18 PM by Nirmala »

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 07:35:47 PM »
Yes, I know.   I'm hoping someone in the FE world will explain why their diagram is wrong.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 08:12:55 PM »
Yes, I know.   I'm hoping someone in the FE world will explain why their diagram is wrong.

Um no. Their worldview is the think that's wrong. The earth is a globe.

İntikam

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 06:45:39 AM »
So I was reading in the Wiki about the FE "perspective effect" - as shown in this diagram:

It says (in effect) that perspective isn't a "symmetrical" effect - it forces things downwards toward the horizon with increasing distance - right?   I say not "symmetrical" because it evidently doesn't push things that are below the horizon upwards.

Then we're told that this is a defect of human vision - but that can't be the cause because cameras produce the same effects...so perhaps cameras have the same effect built into them so they take "natural" looking photos?

Trouble with that is that if I turn my camera upside down and take a photo - the same effect happens - the depression happens downwards.

For that to be the case, then this has to be caused by the Earth/Atmosphere - and not by the camera/eye.

Wiki is created by NASA officers. All of wiki is a garbage, this site and another, both are created by NASA. Don't trust it.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 03:11:57 PM »

Wiki is created by NASA officers. All of wiki is a garbage, this site and another, both are created by NASA. Don't trust it.

Now that makes sense LOL
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 03:29:18 PM »

So NASA (who - it is claimed - are trying to hide the fact that the Earth is flat) are the owners of The Flat Earth Society web sites?!?

Why would they do that?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 04:36:39 PM »

Please refrain from low-content posting in the upper fora. You are welcome to spout your drivel in Complete Nonsense and Angry Ranting, but do not derail threads with this crap. Consider this a warning.

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 04:45:37 PM »

Please refrain from low-content posting in the upper fora. You are welcome to spout your drivel in Complete Nonsense and Angry Ranting, but do not derail threads with this crap. Consider this a warning.

My apologies for my followup to that one - it's hard not to get pulled in with accusations like that.   I'll be more vigilant in future!

Offline Oami

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 05:14:10 PM »
It's hard to argue, when you don't know, against whom and against which beliefs you are supposed to argue.

There seems to be a great deal of flat earth supporters, who disagree with the wiki in one or several points. As a newcomer it is hard to tell, but apparently İntikam is one.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 05:19:47 PM »
There seems to be a great deal of flat earth supporters, who disagree with the wiki in one or several points. As a newcomer it is hard to tell, but apparently İntikam is one.
Intikam has also gone on record saying that most of us are actually one person, and that we're all CIA/NASA agents with connections to the BBC. He's also very quick to diagnose everyone who disagrees with him with schizophrenia. Have a look at his recent posts. I wouldn't take him too seriously.

In other words: Nothing to see here, citizen. Move along.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 05:21:36 PM by SexWarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume