Re: If the Earth were really round...
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 07:08:49 PM »
NIRMALA, I encourage you to edit out the the F-Bomb in your post. One, it is gratuitous. Two, it may get you banned. Just my thoughts.

It is Novarus who has the f-bomb in his post, but your advice is still good.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 07:10:35 PM by Nirmala »

Poseidon

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 07:15:03 PM »
NIRMALA, quite correct. Post edited to reflect that.

totallackey

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2017, 08:55:16 PM »
Some guy on Youtube named Rob Skiba has posted videos of a trip he took on Lake Michigan which he claims proves the earth is flat because he can still see part of the Chicago skyline from over 40 miles away. Unfortunately for him, the video actually proves the curvature of the earth as the visible portion of the Skyline is reduced the further he got away from Chicago....by the proportion one could predict from a calculation based on a round earth.

It is great when flat-earthers set out to prove the earth is flat and in the process prove that the earth is actually round!

Here is an analysis of the images taken by Rob Skiba:

What do you know about Lake Michigan?

I happen to live nearby and I can certainly tell you the waters of that lake at times tend to collect in greater amounts toward the end of the "fingertip."

Skiba's video does nothing to prove RE.

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2017, 09:29:48 PM »

I happen to live nearby and I can certainly tell you the waters of that lake at times tend to collect in greater amounts toward the end of the "fingertip."

I have a feeling that if enough supposedly flat water collected in the tip of Lake Michigan to hide 2/3 or more of a skyscraper, then quite a few people would have drowned.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:25:46 PM by Nirmala »

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2017, 10:25:37 PM »
Some guy on Youtube named Rob Skiba has posted videos of a trip he took on Lake Michigan which he claims proves the earth is flat because he can still see part of the Chicago skyline from over 40 miles away. Unfortunately for him, the video actually proves the curvature of the earth as the visible portion of the Skyline is reduced the further he got away from Chicago....by the proportion one could predict from a calculation based on a round earth.

It is great when flat-earthers set out to prove the earth is flat and in the process prove that the earth is actually round!

Here is an analysis of the images taken by Rob Skiba:

We're is your proof?  How much is "greater" amounts?  By my calculation you have to have about 280 feet greater.  I'm not going to believe you until you can prove it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:36:29 PM by Flatout »

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2017, 10:32:26 PM »
Skiba's boat was on top of the water. Even if you had a Hurricane Katrina sized storm surge of say 25 feet, then Skiba's boat would have been 25 feet higher and also there would have been serious flooding along the entire southern tip of the lake. The water and his boat both being up higher than normal would have had some effect on the appearance of a skyscraper at a distance, if the surface of that higher water was truly flat. However, if the surface is curved as predicted by a round earth, then the sky scraper still would have gradually disappeared just as it did at the various distances in the video, no matter how much "extra" water had collected in the tip of the lake, due to say wind.

A more typical surge of water in a body of water that size without a major storm would have been at most a foot or two. It was a clear sunny day with waves about 1-2 feet high, so clearly no major storm surge would have been in effect.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 05:11:13 PM by Nirmala »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2017, 01:51:16 AM »

I believe that gecko's post was right on topic and his ban should be lifted, since until the Flat Earth Society can agree on a reliable repository of information rather than an "unregulated mess" that gets chucked out in a heartbeat, then none of you have any concrete information to back yp the Flat Earth claims.

Do you have any idea what context is? Have you read the thread? Is simple logic hard to follow? No wonder roundies have such a hard time following a very basic set of rules.

And our sources? Try and fucking encyclopedia on the planet, every geophysicist that has ever published and even a cursory Google search that will reveal countless images from space.
So unless you guys can stop being deliberately stupid, this is not a debate forum - it's a place where "roundies" get banned for pointing out baseless arguments.

So, you have no sources, then. Gotcha. It isn't our job to do your homework. And no one gets banned for for pointing out baseless arguments. People get banned for repeatedly breaking the rules. Again, I know it is hard for you round earthers to grasp such a simple concept, but you should really work on it.

Avoiding the use of the F-Bomb, the above is a correct perspective. There certainly IS a Flat Earth Repository on this site. But banning someone for being unable to accept the totally illogical arguments contained therein is simply juvenile. It certainly doesn't improve your case any. It merely makes you look like a 5-year-old. Perhaps improving the arguments, to the point that they can be accepted by respectable scientists and historians would be a start.

I too thought the statement for which he was banned was entirely apropos.

I would suggest you review the rules, then. They really are quite simple. The rest of your post is irrelevant to the topic, and about as nonsensical as most of the drivel you have posted up to this point. Anyway, if you are really struggling this hard with understanding how the rules are applied, I would suggest asking a question in the appropriate forum. Again, it really isn't hard to understand.

Poseidon

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2017, 03:05:05 AM »
JUNKER, the fact that you have to be heavy-handed with your Moderator status simply indicates an inability to present logical arguments. And yes. Every encyclopedia, every geophysicist who has published, and a cursory Google search DO in fact add up to an impressive list of sources.

I see you STILL have not responded to my points re: Rowbotham. I find that interesting.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 03:07:29 AM by Poseidon »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2017, 03:12:38 AM »
JUNKER, the fact that you have to be heavy-handed with your Moderator status simply indicates an inability to present logical arguments.

Not only is this assertion false, it is also a non-sequitur. I am actually incredibly lenient. Very few people ever get banned, which can be verified as the ban log is publicly viewable for any user. Nice try, though. It seems you put about as much effort into this claim as your other nonsensical claims so far.

And yes. Every encyclopedia, every geophysicist who has published, and a cursory Google search DO in fact add up to an impressive list of sources.

Yet, you roundies cannot seem to cite them in arguments. You seem to be happy to allude to them, though.

I see you STILL have not responded to my points re: Rowbotham. I find that interesting.

I don't recall what your "points," were, but it doesn't matter as they are irrelevant to the discussion.

Poseidon

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2017, 03:25:50 AM »
My advice would be to look up "Earth" in any currently published encyclopedia, in any language. It will immediately alert you to the fact that the object so designated is an oblate spheroid, third in orbit about a star, designated the Sun, or Sol. Said object is a planet, approximately 25,000 miles in circumference, with one satellite, designated the Moon. To date, it is the only known object in space to have life, although it is possible that life MAY exist on Mars in microscopic form.  Usually said encyclopedia will contain a picture of said spheroid, so designated as Earth. Occasionally, one might find the Moon pictured as well.

I would recommend looking under the Volume of whatever encyclopedia you use that is designated to the letter "E". That will assist you considerably. World Book is excellent for its pictorial aspects. And it still publishes a hard-copy volume. Britannica is better in terms of information, but is now only found electronically.

There. I have just satisfied your request for citation of sources. Enjoy your research.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2017, 03:53:25 AM »
There. I have just satisfied your request for citation of sources. Enjoy your research.

You obviously have no clue whatsoever as to what it means to cite sources, or you are just trolling at this point. Have you ever written a research paper, or performed actual research? Nothing you are saying is even remotely accurate. I think we are done here since you can't grasp simple concepts such as evidence or citing sources.

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2017, 04:01:32 AM »

You obviously have no clue whatsoever as to what it means to cite sources, or you are just trolling at this point. Have you ever written a research paper, or performed actual research? Nothing you are saying is even remotely accurate. I think we are done here since you can't grasp simple concepts such as evidence or citing sources.
Please cite your sources and data that proves it's flat.  That is your claim.  The wiki doesn't count because you all wrote it.  Please link outside sources.  Data and map plots please.

Poseidon

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2017, 04:03:53 AM »
Actually, yes. I have written a book. I have an MA, and 2 BAs, which probably is equal to or greater than your own education, likely greater, since I at least know the shape of the Earth.

And yes, I did validly cite any general encyclopedia article you might want on the oblate spheroid commonly designated "Earth". Your refusal to look up said information does not decrease the validity of the citation. I don't happen to have an encyclopedia with me at the moment, hence the general citation. But it should be sufficient for anyone with a 4th Grade education or better to find the information.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2017, 04:05:23 AM »
Please cite your sources and data that proves it's flat.  That is your claim.  The wiki doesn't count because you all wrote it.  Please link outside sources.  Data and map plots please.

Can you point out where I have made the claim that you are suggesting? Asking me to cite sources to support something I haven't claimed seems a bit nonsensical, don't you think?

Also, I am not sure who you are referring to relative to the wiki. I haven't written anything for it.

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2017, 04:06:30 AM »

Can you point out where I have made the claim that you are suggesting? Asking me to cite sources to support something I haven't claimed seems a bit nonsensical, don't you think?

Also, I am not sure who you are referring to relative to the wiki. I haven't written anything for it.
So you don't claim that the earth is flat?

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2017, 04:11:08 AM »
Here is an 8-page article on Encyclopedia Britannica:
https://www.britannica.com/place/Earth/Basic-planetary-data

Part way down the second page, there is even a short embedded video showing 10 reasons we know that the earth is round!

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2017, 04:11:39 AM »

Irrelevant. But I see you can't point out where I have made that claim. You sure do a good job of assuming, though.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2017, 04:16:40 AM »
Here is an 8-page article on Encyclopedia Britannica:
https://www.britannica.com/place/Earth/Basic-planetary-data

Part way down the second page, there is even a short embedded video showing 10 reasons we know that the earth is round!

I don't see the video in that wall of irrelevant text. If I were to assume it is the same video that has been posted here repeatedly, then you are going to have to do better.

Poseidon

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2017, 04:18:38 AM »
Given your title of "Planar" Moderator, it is not an unreasonable assumption. And again, a general citation to any respected encyclopedia IS sufficient. The fact that you don't like that is irrelevant.

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2017, 04:20:37 AM »

Irrelevant. But I see you can't point out where I have made that claim. You sure do a good job of assuming, though.
Nice deflection.