Offline Flatout

• View Profile
The flat Earth and the equinox
« on: April 09, 2017, 06:39:48 PM »
I made a video to try and understand the mechanics of the flat earth map and the equinox.  I made it work using Tom's bendy light theory.  Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 07:03:49 PM by Flatout »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: The flat Earth and the equinox
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 06:58:57 PM »
It's only an unwritten convention in this community, but we generally don't appreciate threads along the lines of "Here's a 10-minute video. Discuss."

Say whatever it is you want to say. Don't expect for everyone to drop whatever they're doing to watch your video without any explanation. This applies especially if you plan on showing that you haven't read the FAQ within the first minute of your video.

Now, I've jumped around your video a bit after watching the first minute and it appears that your argument is along the lines of:

0) The sun is directly above the Equator during the equinox
1) The illuminated portion of the Earth would be precisely of the shape of a half-circle during the equinox
2) This would be very difficult to explain away

Of course, we know that 1) doesn't ever hold and 0) only holds in some models so the rest of the video seems a bit pointless.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 07:09:47 PM by SexWarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 07:01:10 PM »
It's only an unwritten convention in this community, but we generally don't appreciate threads along the lines of "Here's a 10-minute video. Discuss."

Say whatever it is you want to say. Don't expect for everyone to drop whatever they're doing to watch your video without any explanation.
No expectation.  Somethings are just easier to show.

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 07:08:47 PM »

Now, I've jumped around your video a bit after watching the first minute and it appears that your argument is along the lines of:

1) The illuminated portion of the Earth would be precisely of the shape of a half-circle
2) This would be very difficult to explain away

Of course, we know that 1) doesn't hold so the rest of the video seems a bit pointless.
I built the model from the data in the wiki.  The reality is the equinox has equal day and night.  That requires that half the flat earth be illuminated at one time if the sun covers it's rotation in a 24 period and the sun is visible for 12 hours.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 07:12:28 PM »
I built the model from the data in the wiki.
Refer to https://wiki.tfes.org/File:SunAnimation.gif

The reality is the equinox has equal day and night.
I'll tentatively concede that for most inhabited parts of the known Earth, but only if you don't try to make it mean something it doesn't mean.

That requires that half the flat earth be illuminated at one time if the sun covers it's rotation in a 24 period and the sun is visible for 12 hours.
Aaaaaand there we go, you've done it.

I'm sorry, but you've made a video about your own idea of what FET is. It has nothing to do with actual FET. We can't argue your strawmen for you.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 07:15:08 PM by SexWarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 07:23:19 PM »
Can you explain how people all across the globe see the sun for at least 12 hours but the sun doesn't​ cover at least half of the disk?  The only places that see the sun for more that 12 hours are very near the poles.  Can you help me understand? 

I can't for some reason load the sun animation .gif.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 07:26:41 PM by Flatout »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 09:13:22 PM »
Can you explain how people all across the globe see the sun for at least 12 hours but the sun doesn't​ cover at least half of the disk?  The only places that see the sun for more that 12 hours are very near the poles.  Can you help me understand? 

Can you link us to the evidence that all points on earth experience exactly 12 hours of daylight on that day?

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 09:36:45 PM »

Can you link us to the evidence that all points on earth experience exactly 12 hours of daylight on that day?
Pay attention to the green zone in the link below.  Notice that the every latitude experiences twelve hours of sun on the equinoxes.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hours_of_daylight_vs_latitude_vs_day_of_year_cmglee.svg
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 09:39:18 PM by Flatout »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 09:40:16 PM »

Pay attention to the green zone in the link below.  Notice that the every latitude experiences twelve hours of sun on the equinoxes.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hours_of_daylight_vs_latitude_vs_day_of_year_cmglee.svg

This page seems to suggest that the diagram was based on an equation. Can you do better?

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 12:49:46 AM »

This page seems to suggest that the diagram was based on an equation. Can you do better?
Tom, there is no need to do better.  The ancient calender's from various parts or the word were based on the "equinox" schedules and built their celebrations around.  The Gregorian (international), Bengali, Iranian, Indian, Julian (international), Coptic, and many oriental calendars all made the observation that the night was as long as the day twice each year.  In fact, your beloved astrolabe predicts it.  I feel no need to try to convince you of that reality.   The internet is covered with statements that the day is at least 12 hours in length all across the earth.  I took the time to measure at 44N latitude this year and measured 12 hours 8 minutes.  Have you measured it before at your latitude?

When is comes to truth there is no burden of proof.  If you place the burden on someone else then you are rooted in your bias.  I think if you do your own research you will find that the entire earth experiences at least 12 hours of visible sun each day.  If you show me anything that says otherwise I will reconsider my stance on the issue.  I have not personally observed or seen anything written that states otherwise.  Have you?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 12:52:14 AM »
I asked for evidence that all points on earth received 12 hours of sunlight and I got a round earth equation. How does that help us?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 01:13:05 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 01:05:54 AM »
I asked for evidence that all points on earth received 12 hours of sunlight and I got an round earth equation. How does that help us?
Can you show me anything....and I mean anything that states that the sun is not up for at lease twelves hours over the entire earth at each equinox?  Anything please.  Sorry, if your questioning was actually genuine because of a lack of knowledge.  I just assumed that you had done some serious historical and present research about the equinox.  The equinox and the observed day length is far from a modern concept.

http://solar-center.stanford.edu/AO/sunrise.html
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/equinoxes.php
https://darkskydiary.wordpress.com/2010/03/20/equinox-equilux-and-twilight-times/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equinox

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 01:08:08 AM by Flatout »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 01:11:12 AM »
We are well aware of the Round Earth Theory. None of those links show that all parts of earth receive 12 hours of daylight on the equinox.

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 01:42:27 AM »
We are well aware of the Round Earth Theory. None of those links show that all parts of earth receive 12 hours of daylight on the equinox.
Tom, did you read the links?  They all state the whole earth receives at least 12 hours of sun on equinox.  Secondly, the equinox observation have existed long before any official round earth theory.  They even could predict it with the astrolabe with according to you predated the round earth theory.  Please show me some evidence that the earth, round or flat, doesn't have 12 hours or more of sunlight all across the globe on equinox.  I'll take any link that you have.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 01:45:59 AM by Flatout »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 01:47:06 AM »
Tom, I'm not talking about round earth theory either.  I'm talking about the observations my by human being for thousands of years in which they recognized the equinox in various places all over the earth.  They even could predict it with the astrolabe with according to you predated the round earth theory.  Please show me some evidence that the earth, round or flat, doesn't have 12 hours or more of sunlight all across the globe.  I'll take any link that you have.

Well, those humans aren't doing a very good job of keeping track of things if there is nowhere we can go to verify these observations.

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 02:03:40 AM »
Tom, I'm not talking about round earth theory either.  I'm talking about the observations my by human being for thousands of years in which they recognized the equinox in various places all over the earth.  They even could predict it with the astrolabe with according to you predated the round earth theory.  Please show me some evidence that the earth, round or flat, doesn't have 12 hours or more of sunlight all across the globe.  I'll take any link that you have.

Well, these humans aren't doing a very good job of keeping track of things if there is nowhere we can go to verify these observations.
Tom, show me some proof that what I stated in wrong.  If you and I are to get to the truth of the matter then you need to show scholarship yourself.  You seem to be implying that all the time and date websites are posting inaccurate predictions.  Do you have any proof that their predictions are inaccurate?  Anybody claiming they are false? Have you personally checked to see if they are right for your location?  Have you ever measured the day length at your latitude on equinox? I have for mine.  They have been dead nuts on.  Secondly, there are many youtube videos of people who have checked the equinox for themselves.  Would like me to stack those in this thread?  Would you watch them?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:11:12 AM by Flatout »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 02:28:32 AM »
Tom, show me some proof that what I stated in wrong.  If you and I are to get to the truth of the matter then you need to show scholarship yourself.  You seem to be implying that all the time and date websites are posting inaccurate predictions.  Do you have any proof that their predictions are inaccurate?  Anybody claiming they are false? Have you personally checked to see if they are right for your location?  Have you ever measured the day length at your latitude on equinox? I have for mine.  They have been dead nuts on.  Secondly, there are many youtube videos of people who have checked the equinox for themselves.  Would like me to stack those in this thread?  Would you watch them?

"Prove me wrong" is a negative proof fallacy. I don't need to prove that ghosts don't exist. You need to prove that they do.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 02:36:47 AM »
Tom, show me some proof that what I stated in wrong. 

You're literally asking him to prove you wrong. Nice round earth logic.

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2017, 03:47:40 AM »
Why do you guys call it the equinox in the flat earth wiki?

Rama Set

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2017, 04:16:58 PM »

Well, those humans aren't doing a very good job of keeping track of things if there is nowhere we can go to verify these observations.

There is a place you can go to verify this: outside on the equinox. Humans have been doing it for thousands of years.