Offline Clem

• View Profile
I'm looking for a volunteer, a true flat earth believer.
« on: March 06, 2017, 11:03:04 AM »
Hi, everybody, I'm French and I am looking for a volunteer.
He needs to be a true believer, and if possible, has a youtube channel or a blog.
I want to start a Kickstarter campaign to gather money to send him into the stratosphere with a Mig29 or a ballon if we reach a higher goal.
Everything will be on my charge. I just need him for a couple days and for some interviews.
I want to make a documentary about that.
All the unspent money would be given to an association that promotes education and knowledge.
Please, let me know if you're interested.
Thank you.
Clem

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
Re: I'm looking for a volunteer, a true flat earth believer.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 03:13:15 PM »
In all honesty such an experiment wouldn't prove anything to me so I'd probably be a bad candidate (as much as I'd love to see the apparent illusion of curvature caused by electromagnetic acceleration firsthand).
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 05:35:42 AM »
Here am I. Send me!
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline Flatout

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 02:11:28 AM »
Why a flat earth believer?  If your experiment is really a "proof" then a roundy should be converted with a eye witness account.  Even better would be to send a flatty and a roundy on the same flight.  Then interview them both. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 02:13:08 AM by Flatout »

Offline Clem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 08:08:47 AM »
If i taise enough money to send two people up there, I'll be the roundy :)

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 08:15:07 AM »
So, a pre-vetted "Flat Earther" who may or may not say exactly what you want him to under financial incentive, and yourself.

Wow, I wonder how those interviews will go!
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 08:20:37 AM »

Well you go then ! Instead of prejudging the outcome, send the incorruptible, razor minded Sexpest.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 09:29:14 PM »
Well you go then
Aside from the fact that I strongly doubt I'd be allowed on board, I can't see how I would be any more convincing. If I came back down and told you I clearly saw the Earth as flat, beyond a shadow of a doubt, would you believe me?

This is an experiment that's destined to fail from the get go. We already know what the Round Earther on board will say, and what the Flat Earther will say very likely depends on factors other than the shape of the Earth.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 09:53:02 PM »
But even so if this guy is for real, this would be an amazing experience. You're right in the fact if you came back and said it's flat I would discount everything you say, as you're clearly mad and I have read and seen enough testaments of those who have been, to do so, but on a purely personel level I would snatch his hand off, aren't you at least curious enough (any of you) to test your ideas?

I mean, you would be first flat earther to reach that boundary, the new prophet. "I've been there and it's all bollocks" says the one eyed King. You could blow Dubay into the weeds, why wouldn't you go?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 10:31:51 PM by Jura-Glenlivet »
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 11:57:31 PM »
I mean, you would be first flat earther to reach that boundary, the new prophet. "I've been there and it's all bollocks" says the one eyed King. You could blow Dubay into the weeds, why wouldn't you go?
This may seem counter-intuitive given your frequent criticism of my egotism, but I'm not a glory seeker. Think about it - I brag so much as-is, obviously I've already found my glory.

All in all, it just sounds like a waste of time. It would achieve nothing, benefit nobody, all I'd be doing is participating in the waste of some random people's money. It just doesn't appeal to me.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 12:27:03 AM »
I will volunteer and be honest about what I see.

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 01:50:29 AM »
Will you give vague answers like you did about the Bishop Experiment?
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 07:00:52 AM »
He needs to be a true believer, and if possible, has a youtube channel or a blog.
I want to start a Kickstarter campaign to gather money to send him into the stratosphere with a Mig29 or a ballon if we reach a higher goal.
Everything will be on my charge. I just need him for a couple days and for some interviews.
All the unspent money would be given to an association that promotes education and knowledge.
Thank you.
Clem
low cost, can buy their own

Offline Bonhomme

• Zeitlose Garde
    • View Profile
    • Le Pur
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 04:16:16 PM »
Thank you.
Clem

Hello Clem, I hope you get that money - even for two people.
I'm a french/italian+german/chinese mix and want to be your volunteer to start up with you in that great expedition!

sadly, I hardly can believe, that even with the money, we will get a "licence" to explore that ... because those keeper of round-earth-theorie are in control of such things .... why why why ? ;)

salut et a bientôt :D
Unsere Wissenschaft kann nicht von Fixpunkten sprechen, so lange sie nicht in der Lage ist, Punkte ausserhalb unseres Weltraumes zu messen und damit zu rechnen.
Hans-Christian Friedenthal

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 01:48:53 AM »
I have a cheaper experiment which I posted on Eric Dubay's videos and facebook page (I did not realize he is a controversial figure) but here is my experiment as addressed to Mr. Dubay:

I wonder if we could start a crowd funding campaign to buy Eric Dubay a series of plane tickets that would allow him to fly around the world in one easterly direction without ever leaving the southern hemisphere in a fraction of the time that any map of a flat earth would indicate was possible. Here are some flights and flight times taken from Kayak.com that would do the trick:
3:55p — 6:40p
Economy 2h 45m
Buenos Aires (EZE) — São Paulo (GRU)
GOL Linhas Aéreas 7453  ·  Narrow-body jet  ·  Boeing 737-800
Change planes in São Paulo (GRU)  Long layover
4h 55m
11:35p — 1:00p
Lands Sat, Apr 1
Economy 8h 25m
São Paulo (GRU) — Johannesburg (JNB)
South African 225  ·  Wide-body jet  ·  Airbus A330-200

7:10p — 3:55p
Lands Sat, Apr 1
Economy 11h 45m
Johannesburg (JNB) — Sydney (SYD) 2 seats remain
Qantas Airways 64  ·  Wide-body jet  ·  Boeing 747-400

16h 00m
1:50p — 6:55p
Economy 3h 05m
Sydney (SYD) — Auckland (AKL)
Air New Zealand 710  ·  Narrow-body jet  ·  Airbus A320-100/200
Change planes in Auckland (AKL) 
1h 10m
8:05p — 3:50p
Prem 11h 45m
Auckland (AKL) — Buenos Aires (EZE)
Air New Zealand 30  ·  Wide-body jet  ·  Boeing 787-9

Total time in the air is 37 hours and 45 minutes (not counting layovers). With an average speed in the air of say 580 mph (which is very generous given the aircraft being used), this would mean a maximum total distance of 21,895 miles to circumnavigate the globe while staying within the Souuthern Hemisphere. Note that these flights actually includes some north and south deviation which will add distance and time in the air which means this figure is higher than would be absolutely necessary to circumnavigate, but again all of these flights stay entirely within the Southern Hemisphere and so do not cross the equator.

Since both flat earthers and globe earthers agree that the distance around the equator is more than 24,000 miles (flat earth models actually have the distance around the equator as 39,000 miles-see note below), then it should not be possible to circumnavigate the globe within the southern hemisphere while only being in the air for 37 hours and 45 minutes while using modern day commercial aricraft. And it should be even more impossible with a flat earth model where the distance at the southern latitudes of the cities traversed would be much, much greater. Sao Paulo is the northernmost city on this itinerary and is 7991 miles from the North Pole. So the circumference of the earth at that latitude on a flat earth would be over 50, 200 miles.

The question I would pose to Mr. Dubay is "If you personally traveled around the world in a combined flight time of less than 38 hours without leaving the Southern Hemisphere, would you then be willing to admit that the flat earth model you propose is fatally flawed?" If the answer is yes, then maybe we could get a crowd-funding project to buy your tickets and put this whole debate to rest. What do you say, Mr Dubay? Are you willing to test your theory in a real world experiment that cannot be faked and that would allow you to time your own flights, and use whatever means you need to use to determine that you were truly in the cities included on this circumnavigation trip and had stayed within the Southern Hemisphere?

Note regarding the distance around the equator: I found this post on the following page:https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=59426.0

"A thought occured to me when doing the maths for my ladder experiment: the distance around the equator is drastically different between FE and RE models. Both models use the same equation: C = t*r, but each have a different radius. For RE, the radius is that of the Earth at 6371 km (3,959 mi); for FE it's the distance from the north pole to the equator, roughly 10,009 km (6219 mi).

Thus, RE says the equator is roughly 40,000 km (24,874 mi) while FE says it should be 62,888 km (39,077 mi). In 1986 an historical and well-documented flight took place wherein two people got into an airplane at Edwards Air Force Base and took off. Just over nine days later they landed at Edwards Air Force Base, having circled the Earth more or less about the Equator[1][2] with a total flight distance of 40,212 kilometers (24,987 miles).

Was this a scam? Did the pilots fly a shorter, northern route for nine days instead of sticking to the equator? Or is the FE distance around the equator false?"

It is from these calculations that I came up with the 39,000 mile length of the equator for the flat earth, and then extrpolated based on the distance to Sao Paulo from the North Pole.

Who knows, we might even get some flat earth people to go along and test it with Mr. Dubay. The total cost for the around the world portion of the journey would be under $5000 (there is a cheaper flight from Sydney to Buenos Aries through Santiago). Are there any true believers in the flat earth that would be willing to put their beliefs on the line for $5000? Or are there enough people who are just tired of the arguments back and forth that would be willing to pay for Mr. Dubay to make the trip and settle this question once and for all? I would chip in $100 to such a crowd-funding effort.

The ball is in your court, Mr. Dubay. Are you game to test your own theory?

Note added: Anyone on this website willing to make the journey? At just $5-7000, it would seem like a quick and easy way for the believers in a flat earth to test their theory.

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 05:46:19 PM »
I posted the challenge described in my previous post in a PM to Tom Bishop and he replied:

"I would just say that I was in the Southern Hemisphere of the Bi-Polar Flat Earth model."

So I wrote him again and asked:

Using the bipolar map that has been displayed many times on this website, how would you explain the flight times:
Auckland to Buenos Aries 11 hours 45 minutes
Sao Paulo to Johanneburg: 8 hours 25 minutes
When clearly on the bipolar map Aukland is twice as far from Buenos Aries as Sao Paulo is from Johannesburg.
Also there are flights from Sydney to Santiago that take 12 hours and 40 minutes. On the bipolar earth model Sydney to Santiago is around three times as far as Sao Paulo to Johanneburg.
Finally, Sydney to Auckland takes only 3 hours and 5 minutes, and it is TWICE as far as Sao Paulo to Johannesburg on the bipolar map.
Can you explain these glaring differences in flight times versus distance traveled on the bipolar map?

He replied:

"The bipolar map is just a guide for the idea. No one mapped out where the continents would appear."

So I replied to him again with:

So, are you saying that after thousands of years of land and sea travel, and 100 years of air travel, that no one has worked out the location and shape and size of the continents relative to each other in a way that can be accurately represented on a map? We are talking about creating a two dimensional map of the relatively two dimensional surface of a flat earth, and yet the best visual representation of it that you can provide shows Singapore to be over 10,000 miles from Auckland, when I can fly commercially between the two cities in under 10 hours?

This strains credulity to the breaking point and beyond.

I saw claims that this site is just a joke meant to draw people into pointless discussions, and now I think that has got to be the only explanation for the glaring inconsistencies that no flat earther on here can explain.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 03:38:35 PM by Nirmala »

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 09:35:38 PM »
Another response from Tom:

"Maps aren't accurate. Why should we assume that they are? Have you looked at the size of Greenland lately on a Mercator map?"

My reply to him:

No one has ever claimed that a Mercator map was accurate, and in fact it is notoriously inaccurate. That is what happens when you transfer a three dimensional object to two dimensions. It becomes distorted.

However, that would not happen when you represent a two dimensional object on a two dimensional map. There is absolutely no reason why someone cannot create a two-dimensional map of a flat surface that is completely accurate and to scale. That should be a strong point in favor of a flat earth....except that no one has ever been able to accomplish this ridiculously simple task, probably because the object being represented is not two-dimensional or flat.

Distortion matters less in a map of a small area of a sphere, which is why say a map of the state of Florida is pretty accurate in two dimensions. The differences in the third dimension are slight enough to not matter as a practical matter. This is also why Buckminster Fuller's map is roughly accurate in terms of scale

However, there is one form of map that shows a completely accurate representation of the continents, where distances from any two points on earth are completely accurate according to the scale of the map, and according to the observed distance when driving or sailing or flying between those two points. What kind of perfect map is that? It is called a globe! A globe even explains perfectly why in the northern hemisphere, what appears to be a flight path that curves to the north is often the shortest route between two points. Hence the use of northern routes to fly from say Los Angeles to Dubai. If you measure the distance on a globe, the shortest path is over the northern end of Greenland.

So for hundreds of years we have had a map that works perfectly to show the correct distances and now flight times between any two points. It seems fatuous to claim that maps aren't accurate when there is one map that is completely accurate. Unfortunately, it also can be used to prove that the earth is a round ball. Does that seem like a good reason to deny the accuracy of the perfect map? Airlines use this map. Ships use this map. And when I drive across the US, I am actually using the info from the globe to calculate my driving distances, or it would take me much longer than it does in the real world.

If the flat earth was real, there would be a corresponding accurate map. There just is not. Again it seems silly to blame the map makers, when it is the underlying model of reality that is incorrect.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 10:43:00 PM »
Lets just talk here.

However, that would not happen when you represent a two dimensional object on a two dimensional map. There is absolutely no reason why someone cannot create a two-dimensional map of a flat surface that is completely accurate and to scale. That should be a strong point in favor of a flat earth....except that no one has ever been able to accomplish this ridiculously simple task, probably because the object being represented is not two-dimensional or flat.

Mapping the world is a ridiculously simple task?  ???

So for hundreds of years we have had a map that works perfectly to show the correct distances and now flight times between any two points. It seems fatuous to claim that maps aren't accurate when there is one map that is completely accurate. Unfortunately, it also can be used to prove that the earth is a round ball. Does that seem like a good reason to deny the accuracy of the perfect map? Airlines use this map. Ships use this map. And when I drive across the US, I am actually using the info from the globe to calculate my driving distances, or it would take me much longer than it does in the real world.

If the flat earth was real, there would be a corresponding accurate map. There just is not. Again it seems silly to blame the map makers, when it is the underlying model of reality that is incorrect.

Where is your evidence that the distance between every point on earth is completely accurate? You are just waving your hands around without any real large scale evidence to point to.

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 10:56:37 PM »
I sent another reply before seeing your invitation to discuss it here.

You say, "Mapping the world is a ridiculously simple task?"

Mapping a two dimensional object onto a two dimensional sheet of paper is ridiculously simple....in comparison to mapping a three dimensional object to a two dimensional piece of paper. The latter requires the use of perspective. The former does not. Again, a small enough area makes this obvious, so a blueprint or elevation drawing of a 20,000 square foot building is for all practical purposes completely accurate and does not require the use of perspective techniques. If I want to focus on one corner of the building/blueprint, I just move my eyes over that part of the blueprint to get an accurate sense of the proportions of the rooms in that corner. However an artist's rendering of that same building as it appears from a distance would need to use all of the tricks of perspective to make it look proportional due to the introduction of a third dimension to the drawing (the distance from the artist's eyes to the various parts of the building). So the artist would draw a distant part of the building with smaller dimensions and a nearer part of the building with larger dimensions. If a builder tried to build the building by using the dimensions of the artist's view, the building would be bizarrely proportioned.

Same thing with a map. Any two-dimensional viewpoint of a three dimensional object, like a round planet, will introduce all kinds of distortions. However, a two dimensional drawing of a flat object as seen from above does not have these problems. Even if it is a very large map or drawing, the distances everywhere on the map should correspond to the scale of the map with complete accuracy. No map of the flat earth accomplishes anything close to this simple task. All of the distances are known and have been measured on the surface of the earth or in the air in numerous surveys. All the map maker would need to do if the earth was flat is enter all of those distances. Someone on youtube actually tried to do this with the flat earth map by adjusting it to show distances that correspond to actual flight times:   Unfortunately, he was unable to adjust his map to take into account all of the flight times and distances. To check this,you just need to look at some of the flights I have already mentioned, i.e. Sydney to Johannesburg versus Sydney to Santiago. Or you can just look at the flight from Sydney to Perth and realize his map is grossly inaccurate. On his map, the distance from Sydney to Perth is much greater than the distance from the Panama Canal to the north pole.

And I notice you did not address the simple fact that all of the distances between any two points on earth correspond exactly and perfectly to scale when using a globe. Why do you suppose that is the case? Do you not find it intriguing at the very least that a ball shaped representation of the earth is completely accurate when any two-dimensional representation is invariably inaccurate? Why would any two dimensional representations of the earth have any distortion if the earth were truly flat (and therefore the earth was two-dimensional for the purposes of map making)? Even a flat representation of the United States incurs these distortions if you use a large enough scale and measure carefully enough. Do you think it should be difficult to show the distances and shape of the United States accurately on a map, even though it has been so carefully measured and mapped? And yet, it is impossible with only two dimensions to show it's shape and all of the distances involved with complete accuracy, even though the map as we know it is accurate enough for most purposes. But if you wanted to accurately compute the flight distance from Seattle to Miami, you better use a spherical model or you will be incorrect in your calculation. You can do this with either a globe, or with a three dimensional calculation that includes the curvature of the earth.

Your response that maps are not accurate is a classic straw man argument. I did not say maps are accurate. I said the globe is accurate. How do you explain that fact?

You also said, "Where is your evidence that the distance between every point on earth is completely accurate? You are just waving your hands around without any real large scale evidence to point to."

The evidence is all of the recorded info throughout history about the distances between two points when traveled by foot, car, ship or airplane. All of these are somewhat affected by the curving nature of roads and mountains, water currents, air currents, etc, but when these are taken into account the distances are just as they appear on a globe. Can you show me one example where with repeated experiments, the actual distance on the surface of the earth was inexplicably different than what is calculated using a globe or three dimensional geometry? All of the flight times and distances I have quoted in this thread and tens of thousands more are accurate when plotted on a globe. How much evidence do you need? It is easy to test for yourself. Pick any two cities, say Sydney and Perth. Measure them on a globe with a clearly marked scale and then compare that to a driving map showing distances or a flight path showing distances. Any inaccuracies would be due to the shape of the roads on the ground, but in the air, they will compare to within a small degree. Remember that even airplanes must follow "highways" in the sky, so some inaccuracies would be introduced. But the results will be more accurate and consistent than any two dimensional map ever created. And in the case of the flat earth maps I have seen so far, the consistency and accuracy is many orders of magnitude greater on a globe.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 01:25:26 AM by Nirmala »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 12:28:46 PM »
I sent another reply before seeing your invitation to discuss it here.

You say, "Mapping the world is a ridiculously simple task?"

Mapping a two dimensional object onto a two dimensional sheet of paper is ridiculously simple....in comparison to mapping a three dimensional object to a two dimensional piece of paper. The latter requires the use of perspective. The former does not. Again, a small enough area makes this obvious, so a blueprint or elevation drawing of a 20,000 square foot building is for all practical purposes completely accurate and does not require the use of perspective techniques. If I want to focus on one corner of the building/blueprint, I just move my eyes over that part of the blueprint to get an accurate sense of the proportions of the rooms in that corner. However an artist's rendering of that same building as it appears from a distance would need to use all of the tricks of perspective to make it look proportional due to the introduction of a third dimension to the drawing (the distance from the artist's eyes to the various parts of the building). So the artist would draw a distant part of the building with smaller dimensions and a nearer part of the building with larger dimensions. If a builder tried to build the building by using the dimensions of the artist's view, the building would be bizarrely proportioned.

Sorry, but I don't see how anything of you said really has mapping the world trivially easy.

All of the distances are known and have been measured on the surface of the earth or in the air in numerous surveys.

Please provide us the database of the measured distances between every point on earth if you think that all of this exists somewhere. This is the second time I have asked.

All the map maker would need to do if the earth was flat is enter all of those distances. Someone on youtube actually tried to do this with the flat earth map by adjusting it to show distances that correspond to actual flight times:   Unfortunately, he was unable to adjust his map to take into account all of the flight times and distances. To check this,you just need to look at some of the flights I have already mentioned, i.e. Sydney to Johannesburg versus Sydney to Santiago. Or you can just look at the flight from Sydney to Perth and realize his map is grossly inaccurate. On his map, the distance from Sydney to Perth is much greater than the distance from the Panama Canal to the north pole.

Did he use the bi-polar model of the earth? Were his numbers for flight times from a website that merely gave a predicted estimate?

And I notice you did not address the simple fact that all of the distances between any two points on earth correspond exactly and perfectly to scale when using a globe.  Why do you suppose that is the case?

I have yet to see evidence from you that this is the case.

Do you not find it intriguing at the very least that a ball shaped representation of the earth is completely accurate when any two-dimensional representation is invariably inaccurate? Why would any two dimensional representations of the earth have any distortion if the earth were truly flat (and therefore the earth was two-dimensional for the purposes of map making)? Even a flat representation of the United States incurs these distortions if you use a large enough scale and measure carefully enough.

Navigators sure seem to have been using these inaccurate maps to navigate the world for hundreds of years. What makes you think that they could not use an inaccurate globe?

Your response that maps are not accurate is a classic straw man argument. I did not say maps are accurate. I said the globe is accurate. How do you explain that fact?

Navigators are able to use those inaccurate maps to navigate, despite Greenland being the size of Africa. How do we know that the globe is accurate?

You also said, "Where is your evidence that the distance between every point on earth is completely accurate? You are just waving your hands around without any real large scale evidence to point to."

The evidence is all of the recorded info throughout history about the distances between two points when traveled by foot, car, ship or airplane.

Where are these records then? Come on.

All of the flight times and distances I have quoted in this thread and tens of thousands more are accurate when plotted on a globe.

It appears that you merely went to Kyak.com and got some flight estimates. How do we know that those estimates will meet reality? 1 out of 4 flights are delayed.

How much evidence do you need? It is easy to test for yourself. Pick any two cities, say Sydney and Perth. Measure them on a globe with a clearly marked scale and then compare that to a driving map showing distances or a flight path showing distances.

Any inaccuracies would be due to the shape of the roads on the ground, but in the air, they will compare to within a small degree. Remember that even airplanes must follow "highways" in the sky, so some inaccuracies would be introduced. But the results will be more accurate and consistent than any two dimensional map ever created. And in the case of the flat earth maps I have seen so far, the consistency and accuracy is many orders of magnitude greater on a globe.

Again, please show us where these accurate measurements have taken place.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 12:32:34 PM by Tom Bishop »