Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Uber
« on: January 28, 2017, 11:42:53 PM »
Has anyone here used Uber?

I'm thinking about giving it a try. I installed the app on my phone, only to find out that you need Google Apps to use it. (I have historically avoided Google Apps on my phone as I don't like how tied the Android ecosystem is to Google's services.)

If it's all it's jazzed up to be, I don't mind installing Google Apps to give it a go, though I do wish there wasn't such a dependency.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
Re: Uber
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 11:49:31 PM »
Has anyone here used Uber?

I'm thinking about giving it a try. I installed the app on my phone, only to find out that you need Google Apps to use it. (I have historically avoided Google Apps on my phone as I don't like how tied the Android ecosystem is to Google's services.)

If it's all it's jazzed up to be, I don't mind installing Google Apps to give it a go, though I do wish there wasn't such a dependency.

I have friends that have used it. It can be great. There are no proper price controls though, apparently. The price is based strictly on supply and demand. During periods of high demand the price can get ridiculous! You have to watch out for that.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 12:19:39 AM by Boots »
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 11:57:08 PM »
i'll never use any other taxi service ever again.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Rama Set

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 12:33:53 AM »
i'll never use any other taxi service ever again.

Depending on how big the price surge is in Toronto, taxis are occasionally cheaper.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 12:46:35 AM »
In my city Lyft has like three times the drivers, and treats the drivers better. So while I prefer Lyft, both Uber and Lyft are miles better than taxis.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 12:55:35 AM »
I've used Uber and Lyft in various cities. They're fine, nothing life changing. A bit more comfy than a taxi.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 01:05:55 AM »
I only use uber. Taxis are usuallyat least about double the price and I've had bad experiences with customer service with our local taxi.

I've not had to worry about surge prices inthe last couple of years and I've traveled in and out of Boston during peak weekend hours.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 01:06:39 AM »
I also like it cause you know exactly where your taxi is and about what time they'll arrive
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 01:09:00 AM by Sean »
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 01:18:41 AM »
In my city Lyft has like three times the drivers, and treats the drivers better. So while I prefer Lyft, both Uber and Lyft are miles better than taxis.

Lyft doesn't appear to exist outside the US, so Uber is my only option for this kind of thing.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 08:06:02 AM »
Following my installation of LineageOS, I have set up Google Apps and got Uber up and running. Still don't have anywhere to go, though.

Maybe I'll try an Uber tomorrow.