Offline Bzz

• View Profile
Cogito ergo sum is
« on: January 11, 2017, 04:23:32 PM »
Cogito ergo sum is. I think, therefore I am.
By accepting the sentence above as “truth”, our existence becomes a fact that one can prove by reasoning. Therefore, the fact I exist is true because I'm thinking it. But how under this light should we try to understand the purpose of our existence? Existence is understood by our minds as an ability to be aware of it: cogito ergo sum is. Do I reason when I’m not aware/conscious of my thoughts? When I’m in a state of sleep, am I able to reason my existence? Am I not being aware of my existence while sleeping?
Reason only accepts physical existence as truth, an event that needs a time and a place to be. Reasoning is a tool used by our mind. Cogito ergo sum is a materialist way of thinking, once it accepts reality just as something physical. This method of investigation per se does not allow us to perceive our existence through our senses, our body. And by reasoning we’re only feeling existence with our mind.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:28:52 PM by Bzz »

Re: Cogito ergo sum is
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 03:58:28 PM »
Can you mail me some Mushrooms?

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 02:50:02 AM »
By accepting the sentence above as “truth”, our existence becomes a fact that one can prove by reasoning. Therefore, the fact I exist is true because I'm thinking it. But how under this light should we try to understand the purpose of our existence? Existence is understood by our minds as an ability to be aware of it: cogito ergo sum is. Do I reason when I’m not aware/conscious of my thoughts? When I’m in a state of sleep, am I able to reason my existence? Am I not being aware of my existence while sleeping?
Reason only accepts physical existence as truth, an event that needs a time and a place to be. Reasoning is a tool used by our mind. Cogito ergo sum is a materialist way of thinking, once it accepts reality just as something physical. This method of investigation per se does not allow us to perceive our existence through our senses, our body. And by reasoning we’re only feeling existence with our mind.

Cool story bro
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 03:54:45 AM »
Someone took Philosophy 101 for Spring semester.

Offline Oami

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 07:18:59 PM »
By accepting the sentence above as “truth”, our existence becomes a fact that one can prove by reasoning.

Not exactly. Not our existence. Only your existence.

Yes, like this you can only prove that you exist, but you can not prove that I exist. (Of course I know that I exist, but in the end, I have no means to prove it to you.)

Within this theory, it is possible that nothing exists except you and some supernatural being, which – in lack of a better word – you might call God. It is possible that everything you sense is only an illusion provided to you by God – including this text on your computer screen, your computer, the internet and me writing this. And this is impossible to prove false. Even your very knowledge of all the laws of physics may be only a part of this illusion. The laws of physics may be anything. Every single photon (or your apparent vision of those) might be tailor-made just for you.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 09:06:31 PM by Oami »

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 01:59:56 PM »
"Cogito ergo sum" is the final endpoint of the philosophy of "radical doubt".

Radical doubt says that you should doubt everything that you don't have firm evidence for - which isn't a terrible starting point - but it goes on to say that we can't trust our eyes and our ears or any of our other senses...which is a bit more extreme than most people accept - but since there are things like optical illusions and auditory illusions, hallucinations, "hearing voices that aren't there"...you can see where that mistrust comes from.

So for the radical doubters - the ONLY thing that you know is true is that you KNOW that you are thinking.   Hence, the only information you have about the universe is that you think, and therefore you exist.

You can't leverage that into higher levels of experience because radical doubt means that you can't trust your senses.

I can see that this is the ultimate end of logic - but it's a complete dead end.  From Cogito Ergo Sum comes nothing.

You MUST decide to trust your senses to at least some degree - or else logic and reason comes to a grinding halt and you can discover nothing more.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?