George

Rogue One (with spoilers)
« on: December 18, 2016, 02:26:31 AM »
This deserves its own thread.  What'd you think, huh huh huh?  To start us off, here's what Chris said:

Just got back from Rogue One. Holy shit,that's how you make a Star Wars prequel. No grand heroics to destroy yet another weapon, just the average grunts in the civil war fighting one small front. The characters were well drawn, being free from the curse of the saga meant that every time the characters were in danger there was genuine jeopardy. The Death Star was a properly intimidating threat instead of the ludicrous silliness of Starkiller Base, the visuals were stunning and Vader is honestly the most badass he's been throughout all 8 films.

There are a few niggles but honestly not enough to spoil the fun. Great film, go see it.

I enjoyed it, but not quite as much as TFA.  There were a lot of characters and a lot of story to cover, and I feel like it was all spread a little too thin.  For example, Jyn's relationship with Mads - yeah, it's there, but a bit more time with the two of them would have sold it better.  And Jyn's relationship with Diego Luna, once again, is there, and I see what they were doing, but it needed more time to really resonate.  Reorganizing the first act of the movie to focus on introducing and developing the characters that were going to be sticking around until the third act would have helped a great deal, rather than all the planet-hopping shenanigans involving Forest Whitaker and the defecting pilot.  Also, using CGI for Tarkin's face was a terrible idea.  Anytime he was onscreen, it was a major case of uncanny valley.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
Re: Rogue One (with spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 02:41:18 AM »
it was p dope

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 04:47:31 AM »
I enjoyed it, but not quite as much as TFA. 

Not even sure what to say to this. I was incredibly skeptical going into it, but Rogue One was objectively better than TFA in every single possible way.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 09:53:48 PM »
I saw Rogue One last night. It was okay, but I wish they wouldn't try so hard to make so many cheesy references to the other films. Aside from that, it was a pretty good film.

I haven't yet seen The Force Awakens, so I can't make a comparison to that, but Rogue One is certainly better than the prequel series.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

George

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 03:08:17 AM »

Not even sure what to say to this. I was incredibly skeptical going into it, but Rogue One was objectively better than TFA in every single possible way.

TFA's characters were much better on the whole.  Rogue One had a few neat characters, like K-2SO and Donnie Yen, but the two leads in particular were a little bland.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 03:11:19 AM »
How did they manage to make two leads more bland than the two blandest leads in cinematic history

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 03:17:15 AM »
How did they manage to make two leads more bland than the two blandest leads in cinematic history

They didn't. Saddam is wrong. The leads in RO have much more chemistry and work significantly better than TFA

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 11:25:41 PM »

Agreed. Much better character development and story progression especially. TFA was just Episode 4 with weaker characters.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 11:27:35 PM by Hollocron »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 10:53:36 PM »
Just saw it.
Loved it.
It filled in a plot hole!  Decently well, not great but hey, it works.

I also noticed: stormtroopers are worse shots in narrow corridors than open spaces.

Plus the added "what powers the damn thing" basically means "oh, its a giant lightsaber beam".

I however disagree on saddam's uncanny valley.  I could tell it was cgi but it didn't bother me.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 12:22:16 AM »
I saw this movie earlier today. It was...okay at best, IMO. Even for a movie with a predefined ending we already know in advance, it was super predictable. There weren't really any "wow what is going to happen??" moments in the film because everything either follows standard formulas or is telegraphed super hard.

Characters were okay, plot was dull imo, and, yeah, there was really more time needed to show relationships rather than tell us about them.

I don't get the wonderful reception it's gotten, but whatevs, strokes and folks and stuff. I thoroughly enjoyed the first half, or the middle third, but the last 40-60 minutes of the movie was kinda boring because they were obviously going to achieve their goal and everyone was obviously gonna die. It felt like I was just sitting there waiting for an ending I knew was coming.

Vader's scene at the end was probably the scariest he's been in the entire series though, yeah. And CGI Tarkin was horrendous.

Overall I definitely liked The Force Awakens more.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Elusive Rabbit

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 03:36:57 AM »
I liked Rogue One better than Force Awakens. Honestly, I liked RO better than most of the other Star Wars movies, besides maybe New Hope and Empire Strikes Back.  It was a very solid film that handled its material really well and did a lot of things right.

Rama Set

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 04:08:59 AM »
Just saw this shit finally. Agree that Tarkin was a low point. Totally ruined my immersion but meh, not worth dwelling on. I was not surprised by any of the story but I was satisfied by it. It's not easy to sell a movie where you kill everyone and I thought it was the best choice in terms of adding depth to the Death Stars history. The last scene with Cassian and Jyn reminded me a bit of Dr Strangelove in the weird acceptance of the holocaust that was coming.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 08:56:16 PM »
Vader's scene at the end was probably the scariest he's been in the entire series though, yeah.

That scene really bugged me. It was blatant fanservice with no real effect on the story, thrown in at the last minute (both in the sense of the movie's runtime and its production) to pander to the vocal minority loudly demanding that the movie focus on Vader slaughtering people. Give Abrams some credit, at least his fanservice revolved around the near-unanimous agreement that the original trilogy was far superior to the prequels. He wasn't simply catering to reddit. If the filmmakers had really wanted a scene of Vader being a badass, they should have made something that actually impacted the story, perhaps a scene near the beginning of the film to establish how dangerous the Empire is. Of course, they weren't interested in what such a scene might add to the story, and so they threw it on the end as a last-minute plea for reddit's approval.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 07:31:47 AM »
Vader's scene at the end was probably the scariest he's been in the entire series though, yeah.

That scene really bugged me. It was blatant fanservice with no real effect on the story, thrown in at the last minute (both in the sense of the movie's runtime and its production) to pander to the vocal minority loudly demanding that the movie focus on Vader slaughtering people. Give Abrams some credit, at least his fanservice revolved around the near-unanimous agreement that the original trilogy was far superior to the prequels. He wasn't simply catering to reddit. If the filmmakers had really wanted a scene of Vader being a badass, they should have made something that actually impacted the story, perhaps a scene near the beginning of the film to establish how dangerous the Empire is. Of course, they weren't interested in what such a scene might add to the story, and so they threw it on the end as a last-minute plea for reddit's approval.

I disagree.
To me the scene was about the overall resistance.  One one side you have the empire: a force of power.  On the other side, escape.  Escape was futile and death was inevitable as it advanced towards you.  Yet still you fought.  Still you persisted.  And at the end, when you realized escape was impossible, you passed on the hope with bravery.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.