Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #1540 on: May 24, 2017, 05:59:46 AM »
Trump's budget:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/omb/budget/fy2018/budget.pdf
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/23/politics/trump-budget-cuts-programs/

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/23/529710769/trump-budget-plan-relies-on-optimistic-growth-assumptions-analysts-say

Long story short:

Cut everything but defense and vet care.
Assume the country is gonna be Trump'n awesome by 2027 to give us a surplus*

*Tax reform not included in budget predictions.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: May 24, 2017, 01:29:04 PM »
Okay, first of all, and I'm going to go a bit off-topic here - you're not being true to yourself here. You're willing to set aside your moral reservations to analyze Trump's lewd comments and defend them as not being as incriminating as many people thought, but you'll sit back and act like a tu quoque argument aimed at Hillary's husband somehow implicates Hillary herself? I know you too well for this. Admit it, you don't think it's fair to criticize Hillary for Bill's behavior. You pride yourself on your rationalism far too much to let your political preferences override it.
You're completely right, except it was never my intention to claim that Trump's retaliation there was sound or in any way justifiable. Rama's pretty much nailed it - all I meant to convey was that the retaliation worked, not that it was morally right. For the record, both "grab 'em by the pussy" and "lol Bill is a rapist y'all" incidents are pure sensationalism that should have no place in public debate.

Second of all, at least this gave Trump time to respond, to fight back, to recover from a scandal that many believed at the time to be fatal to his campaign. Releasing the tape just one or two days before the election, letting people vote while the tape was still sinking in and Trump was still reeling in response, would have been a far better strategy for manipulating the vote, something that the media absolutely would have known.
I honestly think that's a sign of incompetence rather than any moral superiority.

A second batch of DNC emails were released the day before the election, and the Podesta emails (which I had been thinking of mainly, but mixed them up with the DNC emails in my mind, sorry), were released in installments every day until the election
Fair enough, I can accept that that was likely a strategic move on WikiLeaks' part. I would still be interested in learning when the e-mails were obtained and thus how long they actually "sat on" the data.

But even though I'm not as convinced as I initially was, I still think my original point stands: Both sides resorted to unethical reporting in an attempt at swaying the vote. That appears to just be normal in American politics. I'm genuinely uncertain why whether or not this sort of behaviour is okay varies depending on who's doing it. For example, CNN was trying to use the very same leaks to bolster their own agenda, telling people that it's okay when reporters look at leaks, but not okay when the everyday Joe does.

Everyone wants to control the narrative. And now that the "bad guys" seemingly managed it, it's suddenly a bad thing. I don't get it. Either we hold people to ethical standards in reporting and journalism or we don't. We can't have it both ways.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 01:31:12 PM by SexWarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: May 25, 2017, 08:19:13 AM »
In other news...

I've no idea how Trump's visits are going but haven't heard anything too bad so yay for that.

But hey, the CBO released this:

http://www.npr.org/2017/05/24/529902300/cbo-republicans-ahca-would-leave-23-million-more-uninsured

Only $119 Billion in 10 years?  Really?  That's it?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: May 25, 2017, 07:27:21 PM »
I've no idea how Trump's visits are going but haven't heard anything too bad so yay for that.
Oh boy you've missed out.

And also: http://v.omgomg.eu/trumpdance.mp4

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: May 25, 2017, 08:13:53 PM »
Saw that.
Didn't need to comment.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: May 26, 2017, 04:01:57 AM »
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: May 26, 2017, 06:27:34 AM »

This is just embarrassing.
Finally, we can confirm that Trump is racist. After all, this was the Prime Minister of Montenegro

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: May 26, 2017, 06:46:33 AM »
https://twitter.com/SteveKopack/status/867759838067118080

Finally, we can confirm that Trump is racist. After all, this was the Prime Minister of Montenegro

Look, I'm not a Racist, ok?  I love Montenegro.  Beautiful country.  Wonderful people.  I do business there.  I was just patting him on the shoulder, you know?  Just like that 'hey, great country' I said.  But the dishonest media and twitter and that guy, who I won't name, they blow it out of proportion.  They weren't there.  They don't know.  I mean, I had a great luch with the guy, great lunch.  But the media won't report on that, will they?  Just some fake news.  Fake.  News.  About me pushing.  I didn't push, ok? 

Rama Set

« Reply #1549 on: May 26, 2017, 01:16:13 PM »

Finally, we can confirm that Trump opponents will literally use anything to criticize him.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: May 26, 2017, 04:23:28 PM »
Finally, we can confirm that Trump opponents will literally use anything to criticize him.
It's not like it's anything new. Just another example of him being a conceited douchebag which we already know he is.

Rama Set

« Reply #1551 on: May 26, 2017, 04:59:23 PM »
It's not like it's anything new. Just another example of him being a conceited douchebag which we already know he is.

It's not new for anyone, much less Trump. Yes, it was douchey, but seriously, this is irrelevant.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: May 26, 2017, 05:41:26 PM »
It's not new for anyone, much less Trump. Yes, it was douchey, but seriously, this is irrelevant.
I'm not sure it's irrelevant. The way a president presents themselves to the rest of the world and treats other politicians does affect relationships and perceptions.

I agree it's not necessarily important, but it isn't irrelevant. It would be irrelevant if everyone were logical, emotionless robots.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: May 26, 2017, 06:03:38 PM »
Yeah, who cares if Trump is a walking armpit fart. He's only the President of the United States. It's not like we need to hold him to a particularly-high standard. Or any standard at all, really.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: May 26, 2017, 06:51:55 PM »
This is just as bad as "two scoops" Trump. Is this news now?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: May 26, 2017, 07:17:48 PM »
BREAKING: Trump uses 3-ply toilet paper, but the rest of the White House is only stocked with 2-ply.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: May 26, 2017, 09:04:35 PM »
Excellent counterarguments, guys. Almost as convincing as SexWarrior's bulletproof debunking of the Trump-Russian connection by repeating the word "meme."

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: May 26, 2017, 09:50:43 PM »
Y'all know that world wars start when big men push aside small countries, right?

I mean, the behavior of a world leader influences alliances, information sharing, dialogs, deals, everything.

Yes it may not SEEM like a big deal but it could be the difference between Trump winning a deal and storming off fuming because he can't get what he wants cause the other side thinks he's a dick and wants to screw him.

Rama Set

« Reply #1558 on: May 26, 2017, 11:24:19 PM »
Excellent counterarguments, guys. Almost as convincing as SexWarrior's bulletproof debunking of the Trump-Russian connection by repeating the word "meme."

Tell me, do you have any context behind Trump's interaction or are you operating on instinct here?

Y'all know that world wars start when big men push aside small countries, right?

I mean, the behavior of a world leader influences alliances, information sharing, dialogs, deals, everything.

Yes it may not SEEM like a big deal but it could be the difference between Trump winning a deal and storming off fuming because he can't get what he wants cause the other side thinks he's a dick and wants to screw him.

It could be. Or this could be blown way out of proportion. I'm going to go ahead and guess that you couldn't tell me definitively either.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: May 27, 2017, 10:09:57 AM »
Oh, diddums, are you still upset about your conspiwacy theowy not being all that popular?

b-but the emails guys right haha? right? the emails thing justifies my bush-did-9/11-level stuff somehow yes???
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 10:11:28 AM by SexWarrior »