Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Terrible Wiki Writing
« on: July 18, 2015, 10:39:32 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/flatearthsociety/comments/3dorwf/seeming_contradiction_in_the_description_of_the/

As a connoisseur of strange ideas I have naturally found myself here. I was looking at the flat earth wiki and can't help but want to have this explained to me.

On the page for the Bedford Level Experiment (http://wiki.tfes.org/Bedford_Level_Experiment[1] ) , it says:

"The Bedford Level Experiment remains one of the most widely-accepted examples of Flat Earth proof."

Then says "...a set of three poles fixed at equal height above water level along this length. As the surface of the water was assumed to be level, the discovery that the middle pole, when viewed carefully through a theodolite, was almost three feet higher than the poles at each end was finally accepted as a new proof that the surface of the earth was indeed curved."

So the experiment showed that the Earth is actually curved? Am I missing something here?

Some fellow on Reddit actually read the Wiki, and to no surprise, the damn thing contradicts itself because some dolt copy and pasted passages straight from Wikipedia. Is the Wiki account separate from the TFES account? I can't seem to logon as it recognizes none of my usual userids.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible Wiki Writing
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 06:58:06 AM »
Shameful.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 09:40:48 AM »
Yes, the wiki is entirely independent of the forum, and it's run by SexWarrior. He's both the best placed and best qualified to respond to this, so I'll leave it at that.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 11:58:01 AM »
This particular article has mostly been unaltered since the establishment of the Mediawiki-based Wiki on Daniel's site, meaning that whoever included that sentence in the text did so before 2011. Unfortunately, we don't have access to the edit history of Daniel's Tikiwiki, so we can't really trace it further.

Anyone interested in editing the Wiki can just ask me to set them up with an account. I have called for help with sorting out the Wiki multiple times in the past, but as it stands I'm the only somewhat active editor. The only reason we don't have open registration is that the last time I tried this we got flooded with spambots, and there never was enough interest to warrant looking into technical solutions other than me manually creating accounts.

If you're willing to help, send me a PM and I'll hook you up with an account. If you include an e-mail address, I'll have a password randomly generated and sent to you without me seeing it. Otherwise, I'll have to make one up and PM you back.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 12:48:49 PM by SexWarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume