Antarctica
« on: May 18, 2015, 12:12:10 AM »
So I'm new at this
Has anyone crossed the Antarctica?! Because I've heard that people crossed the Antarctic so that proved flat earth we wrong.. Right?
And if not.. Then why don't flat earthers cross it? To see if it's real?

Re: Antarctica
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 01:41:00 AM »
And how long would it take to cross it?

Offline alex

• Always Curious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 09:52:54 AM »
Interesting article:

http://www.transantarcticexpedition.com/

They crossed Antarctica in about 20 days.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 10:31:42 PM »
Sooo flat earthers are wrong?...

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 03:10:39 AM »
So I'm new at this
Don't worry, I'll be gentle.
Has anyone crossed the Antarctica?!
I'm sure plenty of people have claimed to, in the same sense people have claimed to have spoken to god or that their water system can cure cancer.
Then why don't flat earthers cross it? To see if it's real?
I can only attest for me personally, but because I can't afford to fly there and cross it. If you're willing to give me the funds I'll gladly do it.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline alex

• Always Curious
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 10:45:02 AM »
Benjamin Franklin: do you indicate that all people (including scientists) claimed to have crossed Antarctica are not telling the truth? If this is the case, do they all lie on purpose?

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 05:49:25 PM »
Benjamin Franklin: do you indicate that all people (including scientists) claimed to have crossed Antarctica are not telling the truth? If this is the case, do they all lie on purpose?
No, it's very possible these people fully believed they were crossing Antarctica. Much in the same way people believe they have spoken to god, or that their water system can cure cancer. I'm not going to claim every actor involved has malicious intent.

Offline alex

• Always Curious
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 05:54:52 AM »
You suggest that those people stating they have crossed the Antarctica did not know what they are doing?

If a person believing in the round earth believes to have crossed the Antarctica, what do you think has really happened?

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 06:21:42 AM »
You suggest that those people stating they have crossed the Antarctica did not know what they are doing?
I'm sure many people have claimed to have crossed Antarctica and fully believed they were crossing Antarctica.

If a person believing in the round earth believes to have crossed the Antarctica, what do you think has really happened?
There are many possible explanations why someone would claim something like that. I know one guy that will claim anything to get laid. I know people that say obvious lies for attention. I'm hardly trained in human behavior, but people will claim any number of things for any number of reasons. I'd hardly wish to speculate why.

Offline alex

• Always Curious
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 06:23:55 AM »
My question was about people who do not deliberatly lie. People which really believe they have crossed the Antarctica!

What happened to them? What exactly have those people have done?

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 06:56:39 AM »
My question was about people who do not deliberatly lie. People which really believe they have crossed the Antarctica!

What happened to them? What exactly have those people have done?
I don't know why they believe what they believe. I've never met a person that has claimed to have crossed Antarctica. I just know that human memory has flaws, and that people will often believe things that do not stand up to logical scrutiny.

Offline alex

• Always Curious
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 07:05:22 AM »
This discussion does not bring any conclusions, your comments are just to handwaving...

Ghost of V

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 07:08:00 AM »
You are asking questions that only the Antarctica travelers would know.

How do you expect us to tell you what others are thinking?

Offline Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 06:39:58 AM »
But in this case it does stand up to logical scrutiny. Crossing the Antarctic is very possible.

Not so much with the speaking to God or cancer-curing water...

Offline alex

• Always Curious
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 06:50:37 AM »
Nicely said, dog!

Some things can be verified experimentally, some other cannot!

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 11:08:26 PM »

Quote from: James Randi
Scientists, like the rest of us, have an uncanny ability to find what they
are looking for. Whether it is there or not.

Offline alex

• Always Curious
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 04:46:33 AM »
Scientists do NOT find what they expect. Scientists are looking for the truth.

There happened to be an experiment a while back when scientists were trying to find the 'Ether'. They were all pretty convinced the Ether must exist. However, in order to proof that theory, they conceived an experiment (Michelson-Morley experiment). To the big surprises of everyone, they did NOT find the Ether.

So, the scientists had to overthink they're view from the world, and they all accepted the truth that the Ether does not exist.

So the statement from James Randi is incorrect. Scientists are looking for the truth, whatever this might be!

Offline dave

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 04:34:48 AM »
I crossed Abtarctica in 3 days on my snowmobile...i saw the wall ...it was over 1,000 ft. high.