Narnia
« on: April 29, 2015, 07:18:45 AM »
I am sure many (if not all) of you are familiar with C.S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia, but have any of you read them as an adult?

The reason I ask is because the setting (Narnia) is somewhat similar to my understanding of the FE model. For example, Narnia is a flat, circular world with trecherous boundries, and what lies beyond is a subject of great mystery to its inhabitants. The Narnian sun and moon are relatively small, and stars are something of a completely seperate nature (I'm guessing, however, that most FEers don't believe our stars are actually magical, sentient beings as they are in Narnia :) ).

I mean no insult by comparing your believed worldview to that of a work of fantasy fiction, but I found the similarities interesting. It almost makes me wonder if Lewis was familiar with the FE model as it was understood in the mid 20th century.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
Re: Narnia
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 08:41:50 AM »
No Bro', you are correct, this is a world of make believe, current research indicates that belief systems are less of a thought out process,  more of pick and mix to suit your needs.
Apparently there are some people out there who believe the whole kit & caboodle was made by an all encompassing sky being?
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 09:08:40 AM »
No Bro', you are correct, this is a world of make believe, current research indicates that belief systems are less of a thought out process,  more of pick and mix to suit your needs.
Apparently there are some people out there who believe the whole kit & caboodle was made by an all encompassing sky being?

Interesting. I am curious to see what dedicated members of the society will have to say in regards to your comment.

As for an "all encompassing sky being", I assume you are making reference to theism? If so, you can count me among your group of "some people out there."

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 04:20:28 PM »
The world of Golden Sun, Dark Dawn on the Nintendo DS is also a flat, disc shaped world. A lot of worlds of fantasy are. I have read the Narnia series many times as an child and as an adult. Enjoyed them each time, also. I don't know how much connection the FET there has to FET on here, though. Narnia is rich with symbolism and concept and idea. Although most early concepts of FET in the real world were indeed theistic, it seems that most of the FEers here, at least, are atheists, and militant ones at that. So, I don't know that they would be able to appreciate what you are saying, really, though I can and do.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 02:16:44 AM »
I read them all as an adult, never read them as a kid. I read them in chronological order, not publication order. As a kid I always thought it had one of the most intriguing titles, "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe."  Imagine my surprise when I find out it's just thinly veiled Christian propaganda.

Spoilers:

I found it especially odd that Susan rejects Aslon (God) and gets to live while everyone else dies in a horrific train wreck. But then they go to lion-heaven (I guess that's good?), where the dwarves reject God and the main characters run with leaps and bounds to some mountains. Also, someone turns into a dragon at the end of the world to teach us about gluttony. The devil is also almost exclusively represented as a woman which I find sexist.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 08:03:20 PM »
I don't so much see the Devil portrayed by the witches as much as Evil per se. Yes, Lewis was a traditional Anglo-Catholic, but so what? A lot of people are NOT atheists, like 80% of the world. I suggest very strongly that you learn to get used to that fact. The books were written in the 50's & 60's when liberal femi-nazism wasn't in charge. Crying "sexism" every time a woman menstruated wasn't in vogue yet. & no, PONGO, I don't know your gender, or care. & I'm on a dumb-phone w/ the WAP2 interface, so I can't easily check. Smart phone crapped out on me.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 09:38:46 PM »
What would my gender have anything to do with C.S. Lewis' portrayal of women?

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 10:25:48 PM »
I read them all as an adult, never read them as a kid. I read them in chronological order, not publication order. As a kid I always thought it had one of the most intriguing titles, "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe."  Imagine my surprise when I find out it's just thinly veiled Christian propaganda.

Spoilers:

I found it especially odd that Susan rejects Aslon (God) and gets to live while everyone else dies in a horrific train wreck. But then they go to lion-heaven (I guess that's good?), where the dwarves reject God and the main characters run with leaps and bounds to some mountains. Also, someone turns into a dragon at the end of the world to teach us about gluttony. The devil is also almost exclusively represented as a woman which I find sexist.

Wasn't Tash the devil? You know the god that the evil dark skinned hook nosed desert dwellers worshipped...

Gotta admire the dwarfs though. Fuck you Aslan, dwarfs are for dwarfs!

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 12:01:06 PM »

Spoilers:

Wasn't Tash the devil? You know the god that the evil dark skinned hook nosed desert dwellers worshipped...

Gotta admire the dwarfs though. Fuck you Aslan, dwarfs are for dwarfs!

Yes, I believe that is true, THE TERROR.

PONGO, it doesn't. At least you recognise that much. And the fact that there are two witches does not imply that Lewis portrays women in any certain way. He has other women and girls, like Aravis, and Lucy herself, playing heroic roles.