a question I am puzzling over
« on: March 20, 2015, 05:01:20 PM »
Hi all,

If we look at the ball earth model we are told that the earth's circumference is 40,075 km and that the distance between Santiago Chile and Sydney  Australia is 11,339 km --- ignoring date lines and "daylight savings times" etc shouldn’t their local times be closer together?  The distance between them is about 1/4th the circumference of the earth so shouldn't the time difference be about 6 hours rather than the 12 hour difference we see ?

Rama Set

Re: a question I am puzzling over
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 05:13:14 PM »
On the globe model that circumference is taken at the equator. The sector of a sphere's surface that each time zone represents will necessarily taper to a point as it meets at the equator. As a consequence, as you travel north or south from the equator, the distance between time zone boundaries will decrease.

Does that make sense?

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 05:21:03 PM »
so high noon ( the sun at the highest point in the sky) from a given point on the globe is effected how?Does this "high noon" actually fall 12 hours later between Sydney and Santiago ?

Rama Set

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 05:50:13 PM »
If by high noon, you mean solar noon, the time when the sun is highest above the horizon, then it would be a function of latitude and longitude and would not necessarily correlate with either 12:00h or time zones.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 07:13:12 PM »
so high noon ( the sun at the highest point in the sky) from a given point on the globe is effected how?Does this "high noon" actually fall 12 hours later between Sydney and Santiago ?
Don't count miles, count degrees of longitude.  One is a constant distance, the other isn't.  I'll let you ponder which is which.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 07:54:04 PM »
ok guys lets see if I have this correct Sydney is at 151.2 degrees east and Santiago is at 70.667 degrees west so we add those two together we get roughly 221 degrees or 139 degrees of separation that is about a 9 hour difference still not the 12 hour difference we are led to believe is there -- if my math is off please correct me

Rama Set

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 08:14:34 PM »
ok guys lets see if I have this correct Sydney is at 151.2 degrees east and Santiago is at 70.667 degrees west so we add those two together we get roughly 221 degrees or 139 degrees of separation that is about a 9 hour difference still not the 12 hour difference we are led to believe is there -- if my math is off please correct me

So it looks like part of the problem is that you had some basic facts wrong.  The time difference between Sydney and Santiago is actually 14 hours.  When travelling West, from Sydney to Santiago, the separation is, as you said, approximately 221 degrees.  For sydney to be 14 hours ahead, we would expect it to be between 210 and 225 degrees from Santiago (14 hrs x 15 degrees/hr to 15hrs x 15 degrees/hour), which is exactly what we observe.  There appears to be no problem with the RE model in this regard.

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 08:29:28 PM »
current UTC time Friday March 20 20:25 current local Time Sydney Saturday 07:20:25 --- current Time Santiago Friday 17:25 but both report sunrise at less than an hour apart local time
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 08:59:42 PM by knuckle »

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 10:15:01 PM »
Don't forget that time zones often do not strictly follow lines of longitude.  If you look at a world time zone map, you'll see some pretty goofy time zones.  Also, keep in mind that some regions (especially in the tropics or near the equator) don't follow daylight saving time.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 11:41:18 PM »
forgetting time zones and meridians there is 139 degrees difference in their longitudes  -- if 15 degrees = 1 hour their sunrise or solar noons should be 9 hours apart but they aren't -- they are closer to 12 which suggests that FE with South America and Australia at opposite ends of the disk fits reality more closely.

Rama Set

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 12:59:53 AM »
Your nine hour time difference is going west from Santiago to Sydney which means you cross the international date line. the commonly cited time difference which I provided a source for is 14 hours.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 02:50:46 AM »
forgetting time zones and meridians there is 139 degrees difference in their longitudes  -- if 15 degrees = 1 hour their sunrise or solar noons should be 9 hours apart but they aren't -- they are closer to 12 which suggests that FE with South America and Australia at opposite ends of the disk fits reality more closely.
The problem is that you can't forget time zones, or daylight saving time.  Just because the sun is at its highest, that doesn't mean that the clock says that it's noon.  Also, don't forget that just because the sun is coming up at one end of the time zone, that doesn't mean it's dawn at the other end of that same time zone.