Geology of a flat earth
« on: January 18, 2015, 08:59:56 AM »
Hi all,
The conventional view of geology states that the earth is composed of a thin crust or lithosphere, then a large molten area known as the mantle, then a semi-solid outer core, and finally a solid iron inner core. This can explain things like continental drift, volcanoes, earthquakes and mountains. But, this view relies on gravity existing, the earth being spherical, and the word of governmental mining and research bodies. Thanks to this website, all three of these can be debunked(?).
If so, using the flat earth model, what would the internal composition of the world be?
Do tectonic plates exist? if so, how do they move without gravity induced convection currents?
And if tectonic plates don't exist, then how can volcanoes, earthquakes and mountain ranges be explained?
And please don't redirect me to the FAQ's, as they don't contain any of these answers.
Thanks
Proving the opposition wrong is not the same as proving yourself right

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
Re: Geology of a flat earth
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 05:42:53 PM »
Hi all,
The conventional view of geology states that the earth is composed of a thin crust or lithosphere, then a large molten area known as the mantle, then a semi-solid outer core, and finally a solid iron inner core. This can explain things like continental drift, volcanoes, earthquakes and mountains. But, this view relies on gravity existing, the earth being spherical, and the word of governmental mining and research bodies. Thanks to this website, all three of these can be debunked(?).
If so, using the flat earth model, what would the internal composition of the world be?
Do tectonic plates exist? if so, how do they move without gravity induced convection currents?
And if tectonic plates don't exist, then how can volcanoes, earthquakes and mountain ranges be explained?
And please don't redirect me to the FAQ's, as they don't contain any of these answers.
Thanks

I personally believe that gravity does exist.  I do not, however, pretend to understand the machinations of the areas under the earth.  I read an interesting essay once that postulated (on a round earth, no less) that subduction doesn't exist, rather the earth is growing, and found it pretty interesting.  The oldest land on earth are the continents, and everything else gets younger going to areas like the mid-atlantic ridge, and even places thought to be subduction zones.  I believe it was called expanding earth theory, if you want to look into it. 

I thought about what that would mean on a flat earth for a bit, but I never got around to constructing a model for it.  Perhaps I should revisit it.

Re: Geology of a flat earth
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 11:48:56 PM »
Thanks very much
Proving the opposition wrong is not the same as proving yourself right