Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
Elections and Impeachment
« on: September 16, 2014, 01:37:23 AM »
The Zetetic Council has officially voted to impeach Roundy. It's nothing against him, but he seems to have abandoned us and multiple attempts to contact him have failed. We didn't have much choice.

So, who would like to replace him? Post in this thread if you're interested in running for a position on the council. I ask that only serious contestants compete.

In addition, PM me if you would like to be an Official Member. At the moment this title will give you the ability to vote in elections and not much else. I reserve the right to refuse your official membership.

EDIT: Ignore that last bit. I am dumb.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 03:28:13 AM by Tausami »
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
Re: Elections and Impeachment
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 02:42:27 AM »
The Zetetic Council has officially voted to impeach Roundy. It's nothing against him, but he seems to have abandoned us and multiple attempts to contact him have failed. We didn't have much choice.

So, who would like to replace him? Post in this thread if you're interested in running for a position on the council. I ask that only serious contestants compete.

In addition, PM me if you would like to be an Official Member. At the moment this title will give you the ability to vote in elections and not much else. I reserve the right to refuse your official membership.
I vote to remove tausami from the council. Reserve the right to refuse membership. You suck.
God is real.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 02:48:04 AM »

I vote to remove tausami from the council. Reserve the right to refuse membership. You suck.

You had every opportunity to say that while we were writing the constitution. It was agreed that it's not a good solution to the problem of angry noobs, but it's the best solution.

If you want to try to impeach me, feel free. I think you have to become an official member first (I'd have to check the constitution to be sure), but I'm not going to refuse official membership to a regular in good standing.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 03:01:19 AM »
You had every opportunity to say that while we were writing the constitution.
Right, yeah, let's talk about the constitution. I will omit for a moment the fact that it has yet to be ratified as per its own rules - I understand that this is beyond the control of the currently active members.

As per the "third draft", which is the version you voted upon and therefore presumably the current working version:

All society members with more than 100 posts will be allowed to vote in the elections, which will be held in a specially created subforum on the website. Nominees may be selected by any member, although the Council holds the right to veto nominations for any reason. The council also has the right to revoke voting privileges from a member.

Since the term "society members" (or any reasonable equivalent) has not been defined anywhere throughout the document, and since you gave yourself no right to appoint such members (membership is currently completely undefined, as that entire section was removed after the second draft - I think there was a vague idea being discussed, but it never went anywhere), we have to assume that an existing facility will be used. The closest existing facility is forum members, and it seems to logically tie together with the post-count requirement.

So no, as per the constitution no one will be PMing you to demand voting privileges. If there's anyone you'd like to withhold voting rights from, I'd like to ask you to reach an agreement about that with the ZC and post publicly a list of forum members to be disallowed from voting, together with your reasoning for that.

You should also probably tell us when you intend for the whole council to be re-elected. You agreed that this would happen every six months, but never specified the date of the first election; unless you want to apply it retroactively to the December election, in which case it's well overdue.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 03:03:11 AM by pizaaplanet »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 03:07:49 AM »
I apologize. I must have been working with the wrong draft when I wrote the OP. This was decidedly dumb of me.

You should also probably tell us when you intend for the whole council to be re-elected. You agreed that this would happen every six months, but never specified the date of the first election; unless you want to apply it retroactively to the December election, in which case it's well overdue.

I planned to have a full election upon ratification of the Constitution

____

Yeah, forget anything I said about official members. Those aren't currently a thing. Anyone with more than 100 posts can vote in the election.

On that note, PP, how would you like to hold the election? It's not specified in the constitution and I'd prefer to do it however would be easiest for you and Parsifal. Should we have a special board for it?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 03:14:10 AM by Tausami »

Ghost of V

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 03:17:47 AM »
I will become part of this election. And I will win. Sign me up.

And no, I'm not kidding.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 03:21:49 AM by Vauxhall »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 03:34:05 AM »
The constitution says it would be a subforum. :P

That said, it's probably the easiest way to go ahead anyway. We can easily create a membergroup and a forum restricted to said group, and it's probably easier for members than us sending them to another site to vote.

Offline Vongeo

• I don't get it either
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 03:56:24 AM »
I vote for me. I have all the time, and will probably lose the election.
Maple syrup was a kind of candy, made from the blood of trees.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 09:27:07 PM »

Would you please clarify. To impeach is just to accuse. Have you held a vote to convict and remove from office? Should you publish the meeting minutes with the record of those votes?
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

Rama Set

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 01:19:06 AM »

Would you please clarify. To impeach is just to accuse. Have you held a vote to convict and remove from office? Should you publish the meeting minutes with the record of those votes?

Dude, enough.

Ghost of V

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 01:53:41 AM »
Once I become elected my first order of business will be the perma-banning of Gulliver.

Vote for me!!

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 03:29:56 AM »

I'm ignoring the first half because it doesn't deserve a response. As for the second bit, the minutes of the thread where the impeachment/removal from office took place are recorded in the thread where the impeachment/removal from office took place. This is generally how forums work.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 06:20:11 AM »
Would you please clarify. To impeach is just to accuse. Have you held a vote to convict and remove from office?
First things first: you're wrong. Again. It's not even funny at this point. I really wish I could make some smug remark about your lack of proficiency in English, but I just can't.

c :  to remove from office especially for misconduct

Please, for the love of Bambi, understand that you're shit at English and look things up before trying to look smart online.

Now, please stay out of this thread unless you have something of value to add. Since this thread has to do with the running of the ZC, I'm going to treat infractions here more seriously than elsewhere. Light-hearted discussion (e.g. Vongeo's and Vauxy's posts) is perfectly fine, but coming here to show off how many words of the English language you (don't) know is off-limits.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 06:24:29 AM by pizaaplanet »

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 10:54:42 AM »
I wish to nominate for the council.

Thork

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 11:00:59 AM »
Wow, what a mess.

So Roundy has gone MIA and so that you don't end up with a Thork-Bishop heavy tyranny, you have an opportunity to vote in someone else to prevent an evil age of oppression and darkness sweeping over this forum.

So get your shit together and find someone new.

Ghost of V

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 12:27:26 AM »
When will I be elected? *taps foot*

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 12:05:08 PM »
Wow, what a mess.

So Roundy has gone MIA and so that you don't end up with a Thork-Bishop heavy tranny, you have an opportunity to vote in someone else to prevent an evil age of oppression and darkness sweeping over this forum.

So get your shit together and find someone new.
ftfy
God is real.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 12:46:53 AM »
Maybe we should just admit that the ZC was a mistake and move on.

I agree.  That really seems like the best option.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 02:13:00 AM »
Maybe we should just admit that the ZC was a mistake and move on.

I agree.  That really seems like the best option.

In what way was it a mistake? It seems to be working fine to me. We got a member who wasn't active, so we're replacing him. Why is that such a big deal?

Rama Set

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 02:16:40 AM »
Haters gonna hate