« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2014, 01:42:24 AM »
*yawns*

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
Re: Elite: Dangerous
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2014, 01:44:01 AM »
Who is talking to you? You've just inserted a very inconvenient page break for no reason. ???
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2014, 02:18:33 AM »
Well, yeah, "400 billion systems" is a lot more attention grabbing than "a few thousand developed core systems".

Not really, anyone willing to play a space RPG is going to instantly know 400 billion systems is bullshit. "Thousands of hand-crafted systems" would have been a much better line.

Are advertisements now better sources of information than FAQs?

No, but I don't recall claiming otherwise.

It is better to have very interesting primary systems than lots of boring empty ones.
Why not both?

It is never a good thing to have lots and lots of something worthless, even if it is only to augment base features.

Maybe one day you'll actually read my posts instead of asking the same question over and over again. I honestly don't know why you drag things on like this. You asked the same thing over and over again in the Morrowind thread, too. Do you do it because you have nothing more interesting to discuss? Really, tell me why.

You can rotate your ship to fire at opponents, regardless of your direction of thrust. You just have to turn flight assist off.

Except there is an artificial yaw limitation you can't turn off. Star Citizen calls this "G-Safe" and E:D calls it "go fuck yourself."

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2014, 02:22:05 AM »
It is never a good thing to have lots and lots of something worthless, even if it is only to augment base features.

Maybe one day you'll actually read my posts instead of asking the same question over and over again. I honestly don't know why you drag things on like this. You asked the same thing over and over again in the Morrowind thread, too. Do you do it because you have nothing more interesting to discuss? Really, tell me why.

Speaking of not reading posts, remember when I said this?

They aren't totally worthless, though, since you'll be able to discover valuable resources in deep space and profit by selling the coordinates or through some sort of claim system. I don't think the full details of that system have been released yet. Aliens will also be added to deep space at some point.

So how would the game be better if it only consisted of human space?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2014, 02:24:54 AM »
So how would the game be better if it only consisted of human space?

When did I say anything about human space?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2014, 02:29:41 AM »
The hand crafted solar systems, I mean. That's human space.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2014, 02:51:01 AM »
The hand crafted solar systems, I mean. That's human space.

Certainly they hand crafted systems other than boring ol' human ones?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2014, 02:54:41 AM »
Humans are the only known sentient race in the galaxy apart from the Thargoid, which won't be included at launch.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2014, 02:56:59 AM »
Humans are the only known sentient race in the galaxy apart from the Thargoid, which won't be included at launch.

Ew.

In other news, my Star Citizen alpha copy is now multiplayer enabled, so I tried it out. Deathmatch was sort of eh, but the capture the core (flag) mode was pretty fun.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:59:13 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2014, 02:57:53 AM »
Did you answer my question yet?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2014, 02:59:26 AM »
Did you answer my question yet?

What question? You post a lot of them.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2014, 03:00:43 AM »
The most recent one. How would the game be better if it only included the hand crafted systems?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2014, 03:06:10 AM »
The most recent one. How would the game be better if it only included the hand crafted systems?

They could craft proper and interesting places to explore, rather than bland systems that just change a few variables between them. I mean, have you tried exploring wormholes in Eve? Oh look, another system that looks just like the last one I was in, except this one has sleepers that can one hit me. great.

Lots and lots of generated systems is only useful if the economy is player driven because you get real economic advantages for finding resources. That is the only reason people ever went into wormholes in Eve. Well, neither E:D nor SC decided to go that route. Now they're just a waste of space, literally.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2014, 03:08:42 AM »
How does that extra space detract from the game? Just stay in the handcrafted areas
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2014, 03:10:21 AM »
How does that extra space detract from the game? Just stay in the handcrafted areas

I never said it necessarily detracted from the game, it just seems like an odd thing to put into it in the first place. "here is a bunch of systems no one will ever use. have fun"

Their time could be better spent improving procedural terrain generation or something.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2014, 03:12:11 AM »

They could craft proper and interesting places to explore, rather than bland systems that just change a few variables between them. I mean, have you tried exploring wormholes in Eve? Oh look, another system that looks just like the last one I was in, except this one has sleepers that can one hit me. great.

What makes you think they aren't crafting proper and interesting places to explore?

Lots and lots of generated systems is only useful if the economy is player driven because you get real economic advantages for finding resources. That is the only reason people ever went into wormholes in Eve. Well, neither E:D nor SC decided to go that route. Now they're just a waste of space, literally.

So now you're arguing that the generated systems simply contribute nothing, not that they're actually a detriment to the game. Space isn't exactly a limited resource in game development, so I don't understand what space is being wasted. If these systems didn't exist, there would simply be nothing there. Would that be an improvement? Besides, I've already explained that they do serve a purpose beyond basic exploration, and will be expanded upon even further as expansions are released.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:14:20 AM by Alexandyr »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2014, 03:15:21 AM »
What makes you think they aren't crafting proper and interesting places to explore?

They're too busy making 400 billion uninteresting places to explore.

So now you're arguing that the generated systems simply contribute nothing, rather than actually being a detriment to the game. Space isn't exactly a limited resource in game development, so I don't understand what space is being wasted. If these systems didn't exist, there would simply be nothing there. Would that be an improvement? Besides, I've already explained that they do serve a purpose beyond basic exploration, and will be expanded upon even further as expansions are released.

The game itself doesn't get worse, but it doesn't get better, either. They're wasting developer resources that could be elsewhere. Why bother implementing 400 billion systems when you can make a few more thousand good ones. Their systems are supposedly 1:1 scale, they could make a single system that would take a lifetime to explore, but instead they choose to make a bunch of boring ones. Weird.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2014, 03:21:04 AM »

They're too busy making 400 billion uninteresting places to explore.

They're already made. Deep space systems are created using the same procedural method used to create the base for the core systems, which are then modified and added to by hand. Since the technology had to be made for the core game anyway, almost no development time had to be sacrificed for the inclusion of deep space.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2014, 03:28:44 AM »
They're already made. Deep space systems are created using the same procedural method used to create the base for the core systems, which are then modified and added to by hand. Since the technology had to be made for the core game anyway, almost no development time had to be sacrificed for the inclusion of deep space.

Uhh, no. 400 billion systems don't just add themselves into the game without having people work on integrating them and debugging the clusterfuck that will be linking them to the primary systems.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2014, 03:35:48 AM »
They don't have to be "linked" to anything, because Elite's interstellar navigation system doesn't involve static warpgates or anything. The systems simply need to be placed by the generator and anybody with sufficient fuel and drive equipment can reach them. The game has been designed around generating an entire galaxy from the very beginning, so it isn't like they developed the core systems and then tacked on the rest of them.