Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Movies & Comics General
« Reply #580 on: February 18, 2017, 05:34:39 AM »
Er...you realize most of us watch Marvel, right?

Also >implying Fox's Marvel movies are grown up

They're often shitty edgelord wankfests, just on a smaller scale than DC's.

X-Men: Days of Diamond Absoluture Past

i just woke up go easy on me

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 24, 2017, 06:42:10 PM »
(2/18)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/batman-negotiations-break-down-director-matt-reeves-977266

For fuck's sake, WB, what the hell is going on down there? This is the goddamn Batman we're talking about! Your comfort zone! And yet you've got people not wanting to play him, not wanting to direct him...if JL turns out to be shit - which it probably will - then I'll have no choice but to conclude that WB has managed to thoroughly ruin Batman.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/matt-reeves-is-officially-directing-the-next-batman-mov-1792685477

Oh, okay. That's good.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/warner-bros-plotting-nightwing-movie-lego-batman-movie-director-978737

Well, uh...cool? I mean, LEGO Batman was great. Maybe this will work out all right?
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 25, 2017, 10:06:33 PM »
(3/12)

It looks good, but WB will probably find a way to fuck it up.

I can't get over how bad Cyborg looks. I'm not even sure which is worse - his messy, convoluted design, or how badly integrated the CGI is. Besides that, this movie looks terrible. I can barely even see what's happening half the time. It's visually muddy, full of obvious CGI, seems to have been filmed entirely at night, and basically just seems to be Snyder at his Snyderiest. Also, that's a terrible cover of "Come Together."
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 05:55:51 PM by honk »

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 26, 2017, 04:05:46 AM »
Guys I just got the lowdown on the Spider-Man: Homecoming villain.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 02, 2017, 02:14:40 PM »
Sadly, that is impossible. Sauron is owned by Fox. Also, Sony seems determined to destroy the Spider-Man brand via a series of shitty spinoffs:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/sony-just-randomly-announced-a-venom-movie-will-be-out-1793351904

http://io9.gizmodo.com/next-up-for-the-spider-man-movieverse-black-cat-and-si-1793543558

Nolan's action scenes definitely worked better from a storytelling perspective, but as far as style and choreography went, they were severely lacking.

Just look at how slow and ungainly Batman is.  I mean, I wouldn't want to fight him or anything, but I don't buy him as any kind of brilliant martial artist capable of taking on crowds of enemies and winning.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 06:00:38 PM by honk »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: May 04, 2017, 04:48:10 AM »
That first one is brilliant
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 04, 2017, 02:01:43 PM »

I can't get over how bad Cyborg looks. I'm not even sure which is worse - his messy, convoluted design, or how badly integrated the CGI is. Besides that, this movie looks terrible. I can barely even see what's happening half the time. It's visually muddy, full of obvious CGI, seems to have been filmed entirely at night, and basically just seems to be Snyder at his Snyderiest. Also, that's a terrible cover of "Come Together."
How can you not see what's happening? Is there something wrong with your eyes?

I agree it looks dark, but you can still see what's happening. I think it looks okay. Yeah, the CGI looks obvious and muddy. But almost all movies in this genre rely on CGI and it's always pretty obvious so I won't hold that against this movie in particular, it's just something I hate in general.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 10, 2017, 12:41:09 PM »
I was being somewhat hyperbolic, but a lot of these action beats are happening really fast, and they all seem to take place in a world of very similar dark blues/grays. Even the Flash's lightning is blue, for some reason. Look at this shot, for example:

The supposed impact is an incomprehensible blur, and afterward, not only does the shot slow down quite a bit, but Wonder Woman very awkwardly lands in a pivot to face the camera. The reason she does this is to help the viewer understand what just happened. I bet you didn't even notice what happened to the two Parademons she hit the first time you saw the trailer, did you? And I can't imagine there won't be plenty more scenes like this in the movie.

Hopefully Wonder Woman will be good, though?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 11, 2017, 02:47:24 AM »
It's even worse of a shot because that city(?) hardly looks like a city(?). It looks like Silent Hill, some place disconnected from reality; blue, orange, , washed-out and foggy.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 11, 2017, 03:57:21 AM »
Speaking of the colors, while it's an old cliché to complain about Hollywood's overreliance on blue/orange contrasts, there isn't even enough orange here to make the contrast work the way it's supposed to. It's like, 10% orange and 90% blue. Just explosions, fire, and lasers to occasionally light up the digital darkness. Bringing up Wonder Woman again, at least the contrast looks quite nice there. They can play around with elements like the shine of Diana's bracelets, sunrises, sunsets, deserts, etc.

I will say one positive thing about the trailer, though - at least they're finally letting Aquaman have some fun.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 24, 2017, 11:50:18 PM »
Just finished season three of The Flash. This show is really fucking bad. Holy shit.

Shout out two those two trees that fell down faster than the speed of sound, though.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 25, 2017, 02:03:52 AM »
Just finished season three of The Flash. This show is really fucking bad. Holy shit.

It definitely has its flaws. It has some good things going for it though. I rolled my eyes at the more serious-minded stuff but really enjoyed the more humor-oriented episodes this season. They have to stop using time travel as a shortcut for plot development because they have no clue how to make it make sense, from either a logical or a character perspective. They also have to stop making the Big Bad another speedster every fucking season because it's just lazy. Where is Vandal Savage?
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 25, 2017, 07:15:14 AM »

It definitely has its flaws. It has some good things going for it though. I rolled my eyes at the more serious-minded stuff but really enjoyed the more humor-oriented episodes this season. They have to stop using time travel as a shortcut for plot development because they have no clue how to make it make sense, from either a logical or a character perspective. They also have to stop making the Big Bad another speedster every fucking season because it's just lazy. Where is Vandal Savage?
Dead.  Legends of tomorrow killed him.  And they had a crossover with flash so its all the same universe.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 25, 2017, 12:35:58 PM »
Oh that's right. I forgot he was on Legends. I stopped watching that one because they can't make time travel work either and the show is all about time travel. And Savage really is Flash's best villain in the comics, what a waste.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 25, 2017, 03:02:46 PM »
Oh that's right. I forgot he was on Legends. I stopped watching that one because they can't make time travel work either and the show is all about time travel. And Savage really is Flash's best villain in the comics, what a waste.
Agreed.
And how they beat him was just... stupid.

By contrast, The Savage from Smallville?  Him I liked.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 27, 2017, 04:46:03 AM »

The second season was an enormous improvement. It replaced the weaker characters with much more likable ones, stopped focusing on the whys and hows of time travel, stopped having the main characters cause most of the problems they have to solve, and gave them a goal that they could actually progress towards over the course of an episode, rather than one single task they could only fail repeatedly at until the finale. And in contrast to how tragically Vandal Savage was wasted, the villains in this season were fantastic. Not because they had especially flashy abilities or powers, but because they were fleshed-out characters with distinctive personalities and interesting motivations. They were fun to watch. That's what Flash has been missing from its last two main villains. It's not the fact that Zoom and Savitar were evil speedsters that stopped them from working well; it's that they spent most of their respective seasons as anonymous figures with no real character or personality, until the dramatic reveals that essentially turned them into completely different characters with nonsensical motivations.

That being said, though, it would be nice to get some variety and not have a speedster for once. Grodd would probably be too expensive from a CGI standpoint. I feel like they really missed an opportunity with Mirror Master by introducing and defeating him in a single episode; he could easily have made for a great arc villain under different circumstances. Shade is cool too, but he was completely fucking wasted by the show - I vaguely remember that he was only the B story in the episode that introduced him. The show hasn't done anything with T. O. Morrow or the Thinker, despite teasing the latter - oh, who am I kidding, they'll just go with this asshole, who'll be voiced by Steve Blum until he pulls his mask off two episodes from the finale and reveals he's fucking Cisco:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wonder_woman_2017

Holy shit, it looks like they finally made a good one.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 05:11:24 AM by honk »

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 03, 2017, 05:29:42 AM »
Almost all live-action Batman fight scenes are pretty bad, to be honest.  My personal favorite is the one at the climax of the first Burtman:

(lol video was deleted here's another one)

He's getting his ass handed to him by a guy who looks like Ray Charles.  Fucking Ray Charles!  And that dive from the bell, only to be caught and flung into the staircase, is just embarrassing.  Come on, Batman, up your game!  His eventual victory (by murder, no less) feels more like a stroke of luck than any kind of strategy paying off.

With Batman Returns, the fight choreography was improved quite a bit:

<Saddam> Crudblud: [dead link]
<Saddam> This is terrible
<Saddam> Why couldn't he just throw Batarangs at all of them?
<Saddam> Surely he carries enough
<Saddam> And it can't have been very powerful if a tiny little dog could intercept it like that
<Crudblud> Saddam: Who gives a fuck
<Blanko> Saddam: But that's hilarious
<Blanko> Why can't capeshit be like that anymore
<Saddam> It is, but I'm not sure that was the intention
<Blanko> A dog catching a batarang isn't meant to be comedic
<Crudblud> Burton Batman was very knowingly goofy
<Crudblud> It fits with his other films of the period like Ed Wood and Beetlejuice

I forgot to note that the batarang apparently dropped several feet closer to the ground before the dog jumped up and caught it. To better explain my issue here, though, while I understand that this scene is clearly meant to be silly, it makes Batman look inept by having a dog intercept him like this. Even in silly takes on Batman (an approach every bit as valid and narratively-rich as him being a tormented vigilante), it doesn't work to portray him as a bumbler who doesn't know what he's doing. Instead, he's the straight man, the one who responds to every new challenge and enemy with the same level-headed pragmatism and steely competence, no matter how overtly ridiculous they are. He has no time to be shocked and overwhelmed by his nonsensical circumstances when the city needs saving, after all. Virtually every silly/lighthearted portrayal of Batman I'm familiar with* uses him like this, and to his credit, so did Burton in his movies, for the most part. Keaton almost always played the Batman side of his role straight, with his dialogue, fighting style, and movement being very minimal and to-the-point. And it was the right call. It's true to the character, and far more funny than having him be someone just adding to the goofy chaos.

*The one example I can think of where Batman is arguably something of a screw-up is Will Arnett's turn as him in the recent Lego movies, where he's largely a parody of himself and certainly not the straight man. Even then, though, he's shown to be an extremely effective crimefighter and an unmatched master of combat and technology.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 01:43:38 AM by honk »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 22, 2017, 08:54:42 PM »

I can't seem to find any of these trailers more than sorta kinda vaguely having one or two moments of entertainment.