Which game is objectively better?

Elite: Dangerous
Star Citizen?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Elite: Dangerous
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2014, 03:38:39 AM »
They don't have to be "linked" to anything, because Elite's interstellar navigation system doesn't involve static warpgates or anything. The systems simply need to be placed by the generator and anybody with sufficient fuel and drive equipment can reach them.

I had to look this up just to make sure:

link
liNGk/
noun
noun: link; plural noun: links

a relationship between two things or situations, especially where one thing affects the other.

Yeah, I don't see warpgates anywhere in that definition. Weird.

Anyway, again, a developer has to link the systems in the game, that doesn't magically happen.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2014, 03:42:24 AM »
It does happen through automation, though. The developers don't hand draw little lines between every system in the galaxy.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2014, 05:37:42 AM »
Who is talking to you? You've just inserted a very inconvenient page break for no reason. ???

Aweee. I'm so sorry, Alex. ::)

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2014, 01:05:43 AM »
Do you feel the beta is worth 150% the retail price?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2014, 02:04:16 AM »
You basically pay 25 extra dollars for early access to a demo of the game. If that doesn't sound too outrageous, then you may find it worth it. It just depends on how patient you are and how enthusiastic you are about supporting the development. There's certainly enough content and  opportunity for emergent gameplay in the game already to keep people busy until release.

I don't regret my purchase, but I am impatient, financially irresponsible, and very enthusiastic about this game. The perfect customer. Fortunately for me, the game is still extremely fun in its current state. So I hope that answer is as ambiguous as possible.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 02:16:16 AM by Alexandyr »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2014, 02:22:50 AM »
Instead of waiting for your answer, I just watched a 30 min gameplay video. It looks horrifically boring and involves arduously trading useless items in a ship that's too small.

Bought game. Now downloading.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2014, 02:37:46 AM »
Trading is definitely the most popular way of making money right now. It's slightly more fun than it looks, though. The game is good at initially making you feel like you're really a shitty poor space captain piloting a small and shitty ship, which makes the satisfaction of actual progression that much sweeter.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2014, 02:40:43 AM »
Trading is definitely the most popular way of making money right now. It's slightly more fun than it looks, though. The game is good at initially making you feel like you're really a shitty poor space captain piloting a small and shitty ship, which makes the satisfaction of actual progression that much sweeter.

I just need this game to fill in my Eve Online craving. In the long run it will save me money by allowing me to play a game similar in style and play without paying per month and ultimately wasting money. Since this game nor SC have skill levels, I will also not have to feel like I could have been playing a better skilled character.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2014, 02:52:50 AM »
I feel the very same way.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2014, 03:05:58 AM »
Within the first five minutes of the game I incurred a fine for firing in a no fire zone because I couldn't figure out how to stow my weapons. While attempting to do so, I discovered the "tab" key is the boost key, and boosted myself right into the side of the station.

10/10 would recommend

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2014, 03:19:13 AM »
It's 'U', in case you somehow still haven't figured it out.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2014, 03:59:03 AM »
I did finally resort to looking at the controls interface after my usual method of "press all the buttons" only got me deeper in shit.

All of the money (~1200 CR) earned from my first mission went to fixing my ship that has 6% health left. I'm absolutely amazed slamming into that station left me alive at all.

Is there a way to actually look at the map while docked? I don't like docking, looking at contracts, undocking, checking the map, then docking again to accept the ones I can actually get to. The meter for whether you can actually make the jumps is totally lying.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2014, 04:00:51 AM »
If you're that damaged in a Sidewinder with default outfitting, it's cheaper to just kill yourself and get a free Sidewinder rather than pay for repairs.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2014, 04:04:00 AM »
If you're that damaged in a Sidewinder with default outfitting, it's cheaper to just kill yourself and get a free Sidewinder rather than pay for repairs.

Well, too late now. Besides, this ship has history now. It slammed into a station at 180 m/s and came out solid as a rock.

Really need a ship with a longer jump range.

Oh, you hold left shift while docked to look at other screens. Probably should look at the control list a bit more...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 04:25:23 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2014, 04:44:57 AM »
I don't think you have to hold it. Just tapping it should toggle through the screens. I really wish you could just use free look to activate them instead like you can when you aren't docked. Hopefully that will be fixed by release.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2014, 01:52:24 AM »
I'm up to 12k credits. Turns out just running around shooting pirates for their bounties is a lot more profitable than trading with the sidewinders tiny cargo hold.

I just learned I'm mostly wasting my time because all beta data will be wiped. That's a shame.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 02:06:31 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2014, 02:16:45 AM »
Protip: Don't shoot at someone just because they interdict you and have a name.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2014, 02:19:46 AM »
I'm up to 12k credits. Turns out just running around shooting pirates for their bounties is a lot more profitable than trading with the sidewinders tiny cargo hold.

I just learned I'm mostly wasting my time because all beta data will be wiped. That's a shame.

Yeah, duh. Why should people who paid extra to play early have an advantage in online play over all of the players who join at release?

Ghost of V

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2014, 02:20:30 AM »

Well you seem to enjoy it. So I think their work is done.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2014, 02:22:12 AM »
Yeah, duh. Why should people who paid extra to play early have an advantage in online play over all of the players who join at release?

There's not really much in the game to give a great deal of advantage to anyone.

Well you seem to enjoy it. So I think their work is done.

Yeah, the game is fun. It's like Eve, except the combat doesn't consist of "orbit @5k" + "hit the gun button"