Re: Teen let off the hook because of bad parenting
« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2013, 05:39:26 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2521743/Ethan-Couch-crash-Drink-driving-teen-killed-spared-jail-hes-rich.html

A psychologist called by the defense, Dr. Gary Miller, blamed the teen's behavior on his parents, claiming they gave him whatever he wanted including 'freedoms no young person should have.'

Miller called Couch a product of 'affluenza,' where his family felt their wealth bought privilege and there was no rational link between behavior and consequences. He added that the boy had an 'intellectual age' of 18 but an 'emotional age' of 12.

'The teen never learned to say that you’re sorry if you hurt someone,' Miller said, according to the Star Telegram. 'If you hurt someone, you sent him money.'

There is the context.  Whether you say sorry or send money, you still recognize the fact that hurting people is not right.

Rama Set

« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2013, 06:06:41 AM »
Well I still really do not know what to make of that comment except to say he is immature. But that was already fairly obvious. If I am to believe that this boy did not make connections between actions and consequences, which the article clearly states, then that is even more reason to treat him as sick rather than lock him up.

« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2013, 08:44:32 AM »
It's all the more reason to keep him out of society (perhaps a mental institution) because he needs more rehabilitation to make him safe within it.

He should be 'locked up' longer not given a lite sentence.

This kid has got away with it and I'm willing to bet this kid will commit another crime.

Rama Set

« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2013, 01:55:15 PM »
It's all the more reason to keep him out of society (perhaps a mental institution) because he needs more rehabilitation to make him safe within it.

He should be 'locked up' longer not given a lite sentence.

This kid has got away with it and I'm willing to bet this kid will commit another crime.

Why would you bet that?  It's extremely rare for people to commit a similar offense again, especially while on probation.

« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2013, 02:59:17 PM »
Maybe the people I've encountered on probation are unique, but most of them commit similar offenses while on probation as what got them probation in the first place.  Also, I don't necessarily think he really has a disconnect with action to consequence as the article is trying to say as much as he has a disconnect with proper consequences and has grown up thinking that you pay people off whenever you do something bad.  Anyone with an intellectual age of 18 should know that there are consequences for killing people which includes jail time.

All this teen learned is that money still gets him out of major trouble.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2013, 03:14:42 PM »
This boy deserves more serious punishment. He killed 4 people. I realise he didn't set out to do that. As said before, its not murder. But conditional liberty (which is what probation is) is not enough. Since we don't use penal labour (corrective, hard, or otherwise), I'm not certain what should be done. 20 yrs seems a bit much. Perhaps ten would be more appropriate?

« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2013, 04:30:25 PM »
By the way, under the 20 year sentence he would have been eligible for parole after 2 years.  If he would have only served the 2 years and the parole board felt he was eligible (so long as they weren't bought and their review was legitimate) the 2 years served would have been a long enough in my eyes.

Rama Set

« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2013, 04:31:39 PM »
Recidivism goes up with prison sentences. The longer the sentence the higher the rate.

As to him reoffending on probation, do murderers often kill again on probation?  I would doubt it until I see some evidence. But really Duck, you should not assume what this boy has or has not learned. You have no idea.

Rama Set

« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2013, 04:33:18 PM »
By the way, under the 20 year sentence he would have been eligible for parole after 2 years.  If he would have only served the 2 years and the parole board felt he was eligible (so long as they weren't bought and their review was legitimate) the 2 years served would have been a long enough in my eyes.

Yeah maybe. It would be nice if judges published their decisions in these cases.

« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2013, 05:16:58 PM »
I'm struggling to find studies about people violating probation by committing the crime again.  I did find one article regarding gun offenders which stated that gun offenders on probation were more likely to be arrested for murder than other felons http://www.suntimes.com/news/23095185-418/u-of-c-study-bolsters-call-for-stiffer-firearms-sentences-police-supt.html.  I know that's not really answering the question, but it shows that the repeat offenses are more likely to be for the same thing than for something different.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2014, 02:24:13 AM »
Why should a 15 year old teen receive an adult punishment if he is not an adult?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2015, 05:48:38 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/17/us/texas-affluenza-drunken-driving-teen-missing/

Wow, he's going to be in for a stern talking-to when they finally catch him!

« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2015, 09:04:25 PM »
This may be the first Necropost you've made that's actually been relevant.

He probably decided to go on Vacation, and thought his parole officer would be cool with it.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2015, 12:21:08 PM »
Lol got em

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2015, 01:01:33 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35192267

I doubt that the Mexican legal system will be quite so understanding.