Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #1760 on: April 30, 2017, 02:36:07 AM »
SU and I just finished binge watching Lost. She had never seen it and it has been about 5 years since I watched it.

It was good.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: April 30, 2017, 06:25:07 AM »
Stranger than Fiction (Marc Forster, 2006)

That was really ok. I expected a lot more fun out of the premise (a guy suddenly realizes his life is being narrated by someone in real life writing a story, who doesn't know she's writing his story), but it's kinda wasted. Not to mention most people in the movie are dumb.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: April 30, 2017, 07:57:16 AM »
Just scoped Louis CK's newest special. It was good but not my favourite !
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: May 01, 2017, 12:05:19 AM »
Coherence (James Ward Byrkit, 2013)

Jesus actual Christ. I have watched a lot of mind-bending movies. I watched and made sense of Primer, of all things. But I don't think I have ever been as conclusively mind-bent, as thoroughly confused, as hopelessly lost and trying to keep track, as consistently having "holy shit" realizations throughout a film as I have with Coherence.

Do yourself a favour and don't read anything about it, don't watch a trailer, just watch the movie. All you need to know is a group of friends are at a dinner party when the power goes out, a couple of them go find another house that has the power on and they see themselves. That's all you need to know. Watch it.

Devil (John Erick Dowdle, 2010)

This was a fun watch, but it wasn't very good and I definitely wouldn't watch it again. I'm just a sucker for concept films.

Wandering Son (Ei Aoki, 2011, Episodes 1-3)

This show is stunningly beautiful (in art style, music, and story) and adorable and I love it. It basically centers around a boy in middle school, just before puberty, who wants to be a girl and the struggles that that situation brings. It's not a very negative show at all, though, and it's all the more adorable for it. It doesn't go out of the way to hit you over the head with talking points, it just shows his life, developments, and struggles. I'm excited for the rest of the show.

Exam (Stuart Hazeldine, 2009)

Very flawed, but very interesting. This movie reminds me of another concept film I watched before, called Circle. It's a one-off sort of movie that doesn't seem like it'll warrant any repeats, since what's interesting about it is pretty much the basic concept and seeing how it plays out. Also like Circle, I wouldn't say it's a very good movie, but I don't at all regret watching it since it was fun to see how everything went down. It's just about eight applicants who enter a bare room (save for a single armed guard) after rigorous testing and are seated with a sheet of paper in front of them and told "There is only one question, and only one answer. Any questions?" before being left to figure out said question and answer, with only the rules that they cannot talk to the guard, they cannot talk to the 'interviewer', and they cannot spoil their papers or willingly leave the room. If that sounds interesting to you, it's worth a watch. If not, don't bother.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 07:38:04 AM by Snupes »

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: May 01, 2017, 11:50:47 AM »
Wandering Son (Ei Aoki, 2011, Episodes 1-3)

This show is stunningly beautiful (in art style, music, and story) and adorable and I love it. It basically centers around a boy in middle school, just before puberty, who wants to be a girl and the struggles that that situation brings. It's not a very negative show at all, though, and it's all the more adorable for it. It doesn't go out of the way to hit you over the head with talking points, it just shows his life, developments, and struggles. I'm excited for the rest of the show.

I really liked this one back when I watched it. I'd put it at the top of the "slice of life" genre for sure.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: May 01, 2017, 01:54:44 PM »
I've been on a movie kick lately.

Doctor Strange
Eh. I didn't really like Benedict Cumberbatch in this at all. He's not funny, but I can't tell if that's the movie's fault or his. The story itself didn't interest me but the magic was cool.

Ant-Man
I liked it. Paul Rudd, Michael Peña, and the ants were great. Overall pretty entertaining.

Get Out
I already knew the whole gist of the plotline, but the movie was still extremely unsettling. Jordan Peele did a really good job with the vibe and discomfort.

Split
Loved it. I suppose I'm one of the few who still enjoys M. Night Shyamalan movies. I really enjoyed James McAvoy's characters, the girl's past made me pretty emotional, and the tension was good. Also that little cameo at the end?! Loved it. I would watch Unbreakable 2 and I hope it would include James McAvoy's characters as well.

Passengers
I heard it wasn't good, but what the fuck. What a boring piece of shit movie. There was no emotion, heart, or feeling to it even though they were clearly trying for it. The only time I really felt their situation is when Jennifer Lawrence's character tried to kill Chris Pratt's character. But aside from that, the only one I was actually concerned about or felt anything for was Arthur, the android bartender.

Arrival
So great I watched it twice in one weekend. I normally don't like Amy Adams or Jeremy Renner in anything, but I thought they were both perfect for their parts. Music was great, I cried for Abbott, and I thought the overall story was beautiful.

Your Name
Wasn't sure I'd like it since the premise didn't interest me, but I kept seeing all these great reviews so went for it anyway. I didn't see the twist coming. I wouldn't say it was great and definitely didn't make me cry even though I've seen people say it made them cry and I usually tear up pretty easily. But it was fine.

Moana
Holy shit, the Rock cannot sing. But it was pretty and it made me cry. Disney gets me every time.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: May 01, 2017, 03:03:09 PM »
Arrested Development

I've watched all four seasons over the course of probably a couple of weeks, which is pretty fast for me, since it's rare for me to find a show that engages me enough to watch multiple episodes per day. As you can probably guess, that means I like this a lot. The show has long been a cult hit, and I remember seeing it briefly when it first aired over here back in the day, but I was in my early/mid teens at the time and I just thought it was a "show about adults talking" which was the kind of thing I found intensely boring. Cue my surprise when I found it on Netflix and discovered that it was in fact a spectacularly complex farce with densely packed layers of jokes with a cast of well observed characters.

Since the original run is so well known I won't really talk about it much, except to say that every episode is hilarious. Even the Wee Britain arc, which starts off cringe inducingly bad, but turns out to be a brilliant satire on American sitcoms using non-British actors to play British characters, is great. The fourth season is quite a bit different, mostly owing to its structure, which is about showing the same period of time (specifically the time since the original run ended) from the perspective of each character, and at first it seemed kind of slow and depressing. It's only when you start to get into the structure and see how all the different perspectives come together that you realise it might even be the best season yet (a 5th is supposedly shooting or will be soon), and the way it deals with the characters coping with the fallout of the original finale mixes hilarity and poignancy in equal measure.

I've also been watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and I thought I'd mention it here because these two shows seem to get put together quite often. It is taking me a lot longer to watch, I started watching it before Arrested Development, but I'm still only a few episodes into the third season. I enjoyed the first season a lot, and quite a few episodes of the second, but the third has been slow going and it feels like the show has very quickly become less about self-obsessed people trying to get away with doing questionable things for their own personal gain, and more about the writers running out of ideas and just throwing together ridiculous situations that have no basis in reality whatsoever. The overreliance on the McPoyles, a family of inbred weirdos, for shock/gross-out humour, gets old very quickly, and the main cast have gone from being narcissistic and petty yet still relatable, to being alienating and unfunny. There are still isolated laughs here and there, but the engine of the show seems to have run out of steam rather quickly, and I think this is because the characters are more a collection of superficial traits and gimmicks, and the greater extremes they reach the thinner those elements are spread, exposing a core with nothing much in it. Maybe it finds its edge again later on, but it would take some doing.

I'm really not sure why the two shows get compared. Sure they both centre on flawed people who get into ridiculous situations via an admixture of self-absorbed hubris, misunderstanding, and sheer stupidity (but then what is any sitcom ever if not variations upon or even straight repetitions of this theme), but Arrested Development has strong characters with complexities which give rise to those situations, and there is always an underlying sense of humanity. But in It's Always Sunny the ridiculous situations seem to arise because they must, otherwise there would be no episode, and with the characters becoming harder to care about as they become further removed from reality, each episode just seems to drag on longer than the last. Seinfeld, often seen as a predecessor to It's Always Sunny, was always about complex dissections and send-ups of social faux pas, and no matter how dated it may seem today (it was the great cutting-edge laughtrack sitcom that effectively killed the genre as a viable format for "mature" comedy going into the 2000s) it still far outstrips its would-be successor in subtlety and in its understanding of why people do stupid things. So, too, does Arrested Development, simply the most brilliantly crafted comedy I've encountered in a long time.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 03:52:10 PM by Crudblud »

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: May 01, 2017, 08:26:32 PM »
I really don't think the characters on Sunny were ever meant to be relatable. At any rate if that's your benchmark for quality don't expect it to get better.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: May 01, 2017, 10:20:48 PM »
I really don't think the characters on Sunny were ever meant to be relatable. At any rate if that's your benchmark for quality don't expect it to get better.

Not necessarily a benchmark, different things work in different contexts, I just feel like in this case the show has taken itself to extremes that it can't walk back from in terms of making the characters enjoyable to watch. The first season and a half felt grounded in the extremely questionable but still plausible, despite how stupid a lot of the situations were (the cancer episode notwithstanding), now it's just like I expect the next episode to be about Dennis making a bet with Mac that he can shove 40 pinecones up his ass because someone said he has a small ass.

I won't keep going on about it because I'll just end up sounding like Saddam ranting about Iron Fist sooner or later, but yeah, I feel like something changed (beyond the addition of Frank) after the first season that made the show get less and less funny in a short space of time. I'm going to keep watching to see if it picks up again, but at this rate I doubt I'll catch up with the newer seasons.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: May 01, 2017, 10:44:37 PM »

Not necessarily a benchmark, different things work in different contexts, I just feel like in this case the show has taken itself to extremes that it can't walk back from in terms of making the characters enjoyable to watch. The first season and a half felt grounded in the extremely questionable but still plausible, despite how stupid a lot of the situations were (the cancer episode notwithstanding), now it's just like I expect the next episode to be about Dennis making a bet with Mac that he can shove 40 pinecones up his ass because someone said he has a small ass.

I won't keep going on about it because I'll just end up sounding like Saddam ranting about Iron Fist sooner or later, but yeah, I feel like something changed (beyond the addition of Frank) after the first season that made the show get less and less funny in a short space of time. I'm going to keep watching to see if it picks up again, but at this rate I doubt I'll catch up with the newer seasons.

Oddly enough, the two most recent seasons do what you are hoping for, at least in my opinion.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: May 02, 2017, 02:48:19 AM »
If it makes you feel better, Crudblud, I had the same issue. Supposedly the show picks up right at the episode "The Nightman Cometh", which I skipped to and was pretty funny, so I'm hoping it keeps up.

Locke (Steven Knight, 2013)

This was fantastic. It's like a Coen brothers movie without the comedy. It's all set in a single car ride, and you just practically watch this man's life fall apart all around him over the course of two hours of phone calls. I won't say if his situation improves or not, but Tom Hardy did a wonderful job showing all those emotions in such a limited situation.

π (Darren Aranofsky, 1998)

It was great. Fucked-up and hard to follow at times, but great. Did a fantastic job of making me feel anxious and claustrophobic when the protagonist did, and a wonderful job of having the film's visuals reflect his mental state.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:28:51 AM by Snupes »

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: May 02, 2017, 11:43:52 AM »
If it makes you feel better, Crudblud, I had the same issue. Supposedly the show picks up right at the episode "The Nightman Cometh", which I skipped to and was pretty funny, so I'm hoping it keeps up.

I've heard a lot of praise for that one, but I ain't no skipper, ya kipper.

Oddly enough, the two most recent seasons do what you are hoping for, at least in my opinion.

This is also good.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 07:11:30 PM by Crudblud »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: May 03, 2017, 03:38:16 AM »
ARQ (Tony Elliot, 2016)

A nice time loop thriller sort of thing. Nothing groundbreaking, but it throws enough wrenches into the stereotypical loop scenario to make it gleefully unpredictable. A good performance from the cast (including one ex-half of Budget Human Torch) made it a fun watch.

Triangle (Christopher Smith, 2009)

And my binge of concept films continues. This one's about a group of people who, on a boating adventure, end up wrecked in a storm and climb aboard a passing yacht. Of course, nothing is as it seems and shit gets weird.

I did enjoy this, though there were either inconsistencies or a number of things I missed, and I felt like I was paying close attention.

The Signal (William Eubank, 2014)

Literally none of this movie went as I expected. Which is a pleasant surprise. Plus the final song was fantastic so it left me with a good taste in my mouth. The movie was overall a little dumb and scatterbrained, but it entertained me so it's cool.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 04:36:47 AM by Snupes »

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: May 04, 2017, 08:41:33 AM »
Locke (Steven Knight, 2013)

This was fantastic. It's like a Coen brothers movie without the comedy. It's all set in a single car ride, and you just practically watch this man's life fall apart all around him over the course of two hours of phone calls. I won't say if his situation improves or not, but Tom Hardy did a wonderful job showing all those emotions in such a limited situation.

I loved Locke. My wife and I went to see it entirely on a whim when we fancied going to the cinema, knowing nothing about it and not having seen any publicity for it. It's such a claustrophobic film, such a simple premise, and so well acted that I was captivated. (That I make the same journey down the M6 motorway every month and knew exactly where we were by which junction was going past was a little cherry on top.)

Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol.2

I think it's fair to say that you already know whether you're going to see this by now, but it's also safe to say that if you enjoyed the first film, you'll enjoy this one. It has the same pulpy energy as Vol.1, the same snarky humour, and the same self-awareness of just how ridiculous it all is.

My biggest criticism is that it maybe goes too ridiculous, especially in the first act. The jokes are delivered so quickly, and without the time to let them build naturally, that it starts to feel in places like a Loony Tunes cartoon played in fast-forward. Fortunately, by the time that the plot kicks in, the Guardians are split up and dealing with their own smaller-scale problems, the film calms down and becomes serious enough that a single well-placed joke delivers more comedy than the cavalcade of slapstick and farce that makes up Act 1.

Ego is a decent villain, smarmy enough to be likeable, and cruel enough to be hated. The final battle in the core of the planet is a visual treat, too, with both Quill and him trading appropriately super-powered blows while Baby Groot sets up the escape.

On the subject of Baby Groot, I'm so glad that one of the stingers implies we won't have to deal with him again. Yes he's funny, yes he's cute, but only in small doses. The extent to which he's pushed very quickly starts to grate until I was wishing that Yandu's arrow would pierce the squeaky little git between his too-cute-by-half eyes.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: May 05, 2017, 07:24:11 AM »
The Man from Earth (Richard Schenkman, 2007)

That was incredible. I'm gonna watch that again tomorrow because wew. The film is literally just a few people talking, but it's utterly captivating. It's a man who claims he's lived a long, long time telling it to people he knows at a small little going-away get-together before he leaves to something else. That's the entire conceit and concept, but the group is comprised of fellow college teachers who are experts in their fields, all testing and probing him on everything he says.

That's the whole concept and it's great, thanks to fantastic writing by Jerome Bixby. The film covers paleontology, geography, history, theology, philosophy, biology, linguology (shh), everything. It doesn't get everything perfectly right, but that's not all that important.

It was just great. I love this movie.

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (Akiva Schaffer & Jorma Taccone, 2016)

I mean...on a really shallow level, I had some fun with this movie. It's really dumb but it has some funny dumb moments, but I would definitely not ever watch it again. Most disappointingly, though, none of the songs are nearly as entertaining as literally any of The Lonely Island's actual real life songs. So it's a half-baked comedy with half-baked comedy music. Never thought I'd see a movie with the Lonely Island where the songs were the worst part of the film.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:51:54 AM by Snupes »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: May 08, 2017, 04:44:10 PM »
Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons

This is definitely one of my new favorite movies. I love Chinese mythology and this was such a perfect combination of silly and serious.
I even got the boyfriend to watch and enjoy it and he hates movies.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: May 08, 2017, 05:32:53 PM »
he hates movies.

Why is he an awful person?

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: May 08, 2017, 08:05:25 PM »
he hates movies.

Why is he an awful person?

I think roos is dating my grandma.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: May 08, 2017, 09:15:40 PM »
I generally dislike them as well but not to the same degree he does.

I prefer a TV show. It's almost difficult for me to find movies that pique my interest. They try so hard for award wins, to be as thought provoking as possible, or super funny, and many times I think they come off as pretentious, dull, or cringey. And if I'm really enjoying it then I kinda rather it be a show so the story can keep going.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: May 09, 2017, 05:59:09 AM »
It sounds like you watch a very weirdly specific subset of movies