Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #1720 on: February 01, 2017, 11:09:11 AM »
I remember going through a rollercoaster of emotions for BvS, ranging from being confused at the opening, being forgiving because I hadn't seen Man of Steel so I thought it was probably unfair of me to criticise a sequel for leaning heavily on its predecessor, then I was bored, then I was confused again (seriously, what the hell was with that apocalyptic dream sequence and the appearance of a time-travelling Flash?), then I was angry that Batman apparently decided to break his one rule, then confused, then bored, then amused that they would try to build a DC universe with 5-second embedded teasers, then I fell asleep when Batman went to rescue Martha Kent (seriously, nothing kills the tension in an action sequence to see the hero take a bullet to the head and not even react.)

Apparently I missed Lex summoning a rock troll from General Zod's decomposed body or something, then Wonder Woman shows up apropos of nothing - I'm summing up the wife's description.

Elusive Rabbit

« Reply #1721 on: February 02, 2017, 12:29:34 AM »
Lex Luthor was, far and above, the weakest, worst aspect of Batman vs. Superman. I hated that portrayal, but Suicide Squad's Jared Leto-Joker was absolute trash, too. Probably even worse.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: February 11, 2017, 05:41:50 AM »
Catching up on a few things...

John Wick (Chad Stahelski)

Solid nuts and bolts action with a simple revenge plot that doesn't get in the way of the glorious violence. Keanu Reeves looks miserable all the time anyway so this is a perfect role for him.

Ant-Man (Peyton Reed)

Another good action movie with very impressive CGI both in its believability and in its creativity of application. Too much comic relief from one-note characters can get a bit grating, but this isn't so big a deal as to take too much away from the experience as a whole. This is the most fun I've had with a Marvel movie since Guardians of the Galaxy.

Captain America: Civil War (Anthony and Joe Russo)

Too many directors, too many characters, too many plots, too many minutes. Better than the last big Avengers bash, but still pretty clumsy in its attempts to handle too much shit going on at once. None of the characters have any particular weight to them, the reveals that should add pathos to their motivations lack impact, and generally I just feel like there wasn't much of a point to it. Having said that, the action seems to have taken some cues from the Netflix Marvel shows, the hits are chunkier, the choreography more elaborate, more physical, and this is definitely a good thing. It was kind of cool to see Spidey, but they seriously need to work on that banter, his appearance seems to have been inserted at the last minute just to show that they finally have the rights to their most iconic hero back. On balance it's okay.

Whiplash (Damien Chazelle)

Like good music, a film better watched than talked about. Aside from a pointless romantic subplot, the film has an intensity and claustrophobia to it which makes the combative relationship between the young drummer and his perfectionist mentor very exciting to watch. I was impressed by the musical sequences in particular, and with the respect the people who made the film obviously have for music, it takes centre stage rather than being an occasional interlude between long scenes of heavy-handed dialogue. Highly recommended.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: February 12, 2017, 07:56:41 AM »
12 Monkeys (Terry Gilliam, 1995)

This was a really good and story and the cinematography was gud
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: February 12, 2017, 05:33:01 PM »
The Lego Batman Movie (Chris McKay, 2017)

But what is this? A fun Batman movie? A Batman movie that doesn't grovel at the altar of Frank Miller and furiously try to prove how dark and serious it is at all times? Preposterous! No, but this is actually great. Nonstop gags, a hilarious cast, an encyclopedic array of references from the character's very long history, and a sincere emotional core under the jokes. I especially loved all the voices they got for the villains, like Doug Benson doing a parody of Tom Hardy's silly Bane voice and Billy Dee Williams finally getting to play Two-Face.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 04:02:30 PM by honk »
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: February 13, 2017, 12:47:13 AM »
John Wick: Chapter 2 (Chad Stahelski, 2017)

Definitely not as good as the first, but it's honestly a very close call and this is a very good successor. My only real qualms with it are that the story suffers from being more expansive than the first, and they retread a fair number of sequences and events. There are a number of action scenes that blow all of the ones in the first out of the water, but then there are a few (particularly near the end) that were...boring. Which is awful, because I can't think of a single scene in the first that wasn't superb.

I mean, I'd definitely recommend it if you enjoyed the first movie, but it's not quite as tight.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: February 13, 2017, 02:03:15 AM »

<3

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: February 13, 2017, 05:32:14 AM »

It is good but Brazil is better no offence
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

« Reply #1728 on: February 20, 2017, 05:43:59 AM »
this was my favorite episode of homeland to date.

i fucking love this season.  slow burn is best burn.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: February 25, 2017, 02:58:01 AM »
The Raid 2 (Gareth Evans, 2014)

That was, hands down, the best action movie I have ever seen. Holy fuck. That motherfucking choreography was art.

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: March 05, 2017, 07:34:40 AM »
'The Lion of the Desert'

with Anthony Quinn as Libya's nomad rebel leader against Italian occupiers sent by Mussolini played by Rod Steiger.

Produced in the 1970's, the movie has a lot of the same actors from the earlier and more famous 'Guns of Navaronne' like Irene Pappas and a kindred spirit. Also a great action movie.

https://archive.org/details/LionOfTheDesertumarAlMukhtar1

I have to say that among others I greatly appreciate the role played by the Italian colonel as the diplomat who deeply sympathised with the rebels and sincerely respected their leader, especially as all the characters were real people whose names are not changed in this film which runs over with character.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 07:53:51 AM by Dionysios »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: March 13, 2017, 08:40:34 AM »
Logan (James Mangold, 2017)

Amazing. Seriously. Saw it with my friend and my nephew, they looked over at me just as the credits hit and saw me just sobbing openly. Not just a few tears, but a full-on stream and shaky breathing and inability to talk. I can't think of a single superhero film that's made me feel the things that movie did.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: March 13, 2017, 10:52:49 PM »
Samurai Jack - Season 5 episode 1

Yep, he's still got it.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: March 15, 2017, 02:14:59 AM »
Watchmen (Zack Snyder, 2009)

I didn't really like this. There is some merit to it, as the story it faithfully adapts is of course great, but at the same time, that's kind of the film's biggest problem - it's too faithful. Watchmen, the comic, isn't structured like a movie, paced like one, or written like one. It's lengthy, episodic, revolves around a number of very complex characters, hops backward and forward in time frequently, and takes place in a universe with plenty of both subtle and major differences to ours. So, on the one hand, it's not a great choice for a film adaptation (a TV show might have worked better), but if they insisted on making it a movie, then they really needed to take a scissors to the source material and make a proper adaptation, rather than just including everything that was in the comic because that's what the fanboys hoped for. Moloch, for example, should have been left out. The news vendor and the animated depiction of the Black Freighter story absolutely should have been left out, and I was honestly stunned to see it be included. Even the dialogue should have been trimmed down considerably, as a lot of what was in the comic is too wordy to really work in live-action, when you need to have actors actually sounding out the lines and have it flow with what's happening onscreen. The "What happened to the American Dream?" line stood out as a big example of that. It's a neat exchange in the comic, but in live-action it sounds so rehearsed that it just comes across as hokey.

I mentioned the word "fanboys" above, and that's one way to summarize the whole issue. This is a movie for fanboys, and only for fanboys. I can't imagine anyone not already at least reasonably familiar with the comic being anything other than confused by this. Also, the blood and gore in this movie is disgusting, and I don't mean that in a good way. It's not artsy, it's not beautiful, it's just ugly. And nobody try and say that was the point, because Snyder films it far too lovingly for that to have been the intended effect.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 11:58:24 AM by honk »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: March 15, 2017, 08:41:45 AM »
Wasn't the Black Freighter only in the extended cut?

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: March 15, 2017, 02:17:25 PM »
Yeah, I should have mentioned that the version I saw was the longest cut of the movie. I understand and appreciate that editing and cutting is an important part of the filmmaking process, but even the fact that they spent the time and money animating and shooting those scenes is baffling. It's the most obvious "cut this" material imaginable.

Rama Set

« Reply #1736 on: March 15, 2017, 03:59:03 PM »
Yeah, I should have mentioned that the version I saw was the longest cut of the movie. I understand and appreciate that editing and cutting is an important part of the filmmaking process, but even the fact that they spent the time and money animating and shooting those scenes is baffling. It's the most obvious "cut this" material imaginable.

It was cut in the original release, which I thought was a good movie.  They add that stuff in to generate extra revenue from fanboys.  Generally extended cuts are worse than original cuts.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: March 16, 2017, 01:57:13 AM »
I thought the opening montage set to Dylan's "The Times They Are A'Changing" was truly beautiful. After that it lost me.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: March 16, 2017, 01:00:10 PM »
I loved that movie and I definitely am not a fanboy. Never read the comic and had no idea what it was before I watched it. I thought the hokiness really added to the dark satire. And yeah, that opening scene was beautiful.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 01:03:46 PM by rooster »

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: March 18, 2017, 07:08:59 PM »
I've suffered through about half of Marvel's latest Netflix series Iron Fist, and it is fucking horrendous. Finn Jones is horrible in the lead role - he has no physical presence, very little charisma, and comes across as an irritating jackass more than whatever Zen master he's meant to be. The dialogue is atrocious. The characters are mostly unlikable and unsympathetic with no clear motivation - David Wenham's villain is fun to watch, and Colleen Wing might be an interesting character in a better show, but that's about it. The action is several steps down from Daredevil - when fight scenes do happen, which isn't often, they quickly dissolve into a blurry mess of quick cuts where a guy who clearly doesn't know martial arts (our lead, ladies and gentlemen) awkwardly fumbles about until the other guy falls down. And there's more. Iron Fist regularly tells rather than shows, focuses on the boring and mundane instead of the potentially interesting, and in general just seems embarrassed to be capeshit in the first place. Oh, and its title sequence is also shit.