Common Flat Earther Claims DEBUNKED
« on: July 20, 2017, 04:34:53 AM »
1. "The horizon always rises to meet eye level - which is impossible on a ball earth"

Except it doesn't. To anyone who makes this claim, it's clear that you haven't done any measurements for that. What surprises me is, how easy it is to make the measurement and see for yourself by using a regular smartphone theodolite app. I've actually managed to do the measurement myself, something you can find here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1bP0G7nxCnFRGZISnlCc2RkVFE/view

Another friend of mine, "Epistemology for the Truth" did the measurements, of which you can find here, on his google plus:

https://plus.google.com/113346108947766797502

What's even more is, if you ever even bothered working out the trigonometry, it comports almost exactly of what we would see if the Earth had a radius of 3959 miles. If any of you are interested, I did the math right here, and I apologize if it’s a little messy. "h" is in miles.

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/6hfoyy7xpj

What's really ironic is that this is pretty much definitive proof that we don't live on a flat earth.... :-X

2. "The surfaces of bodies of water has been shown to be level"

Yes, and level doesn't equal flat. Those are two very different geographical terms. Now I understand this is just pesky semantics, but please use the term correctly, if you are going to use it as an argument. But more than semantics, defining sea level is actually a fairly difficult task....If you are interested on finding out what level ACTUALLY means, I recommend watching this one video by minute physics....

But for the sake of argument, let me explain what sea level actually means on a ball....Flat Earthers often say "have you ever seen water curve"? The answer is "YES". A great example would be a RAINDROP!

Now, why does a raindrop curve? Because the intermolecular forces (hydrogen bonds) holding it together. (Now in order for a raindrop to form in the first place, the water molecules must cling to a dust particle, but that's something for sometime else). The raindrop is CURVED because there's a force that allows it to be in its most stable resting position with the least potential energy. Now what does this mean on a spherical Earth?

The water molecules would be on a curved surface, BUT THEY WOULD FIND THEIR OWN RELATIVE LEVEL. Now the force that defines this relative level, is gravity. (Which is something we will cover some other time....) Before, the intermolecular forces allow the water to find their own level, which is a curved raindrop. This is more or less the same concept that is being applied on a curve earth.

3. "There is no visible curvature to the horizon even from airplanes"

Well, this is a little more simple. You can just graph a circle, and with the correct proportions, you can zoom out to the point where it would be proportional to 35k feet. Then tell me how much curvature you see. As seen earlier, the drop in the horizon from eye level at airplane altitude is around 3 degrees. Depending on your field of view, the “dip” in the horizon is going to be 1 degree every 69 miles, from side to side.

4. " We don't even have a full shot of the Earth rotating from space!"

Again, this is also really simple if you actually bothered to do any research. The Himawari 8 satellite offers a great view of earth, and it takes a shot every 10 minutes. Now whether you believe this is real or not is irrelevant to the statement... (Not to mention, the Himawari 8 satellite offers a live view of Earth with a resolution of 11000 x 11000 pixels that accurately predicts weather and cloud patterns....If anyone can tell me how exactly that can be faked, please tell me)

Re: Common Flat Earther Claims DEBUNKED
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 10:53:28 PM »
About the raindrop needing dust to form. I thought dust was needed to catalyze water vapor in clouds to give traditional rain. However doesnt water form into spheres when in freefall or zero g. On science documentaries i have seen people drop bukets of water from a tower and air risistance causes it to break into smaller particles until it forms a droplet made stable by surfaace tension. This is just me being pedantic and i fully agree with the rest of your post.  :)

Re: Common Flat Earther Claims DEBUNKED
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 12:02:15 AM »
About the raindrop needing dust to form. I thought dust was needed to catalyze water vapor in clouds to give traditional rain. However doesnt water form into spheres when in freefall or zero g. On science documentaries i have seen people drop bukets of water from a tower and air risistance causes it to break into smaller particles until it forms a droplet made stable by surfaace tension. This is just me being pedantic and i fully agree with the rest of your post.  :)

Haha, yea you're right. : :P