Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: The Wall
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2017, 11:26:06 PM »
Actually I have only maintained in this thread that the ice wall features claimed for the Antarctic coast actually do exist, and it is the length of Antarctica which is in question, not the fact that there are walls of ice there.

geckothegeek

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2017, 01:14:37 AM »
Actually I have only maintained in this thread that the ice wall features claimed for the Antarctic coast actually do exist, and it is the length of Antarctica which is in question, not the fact that there are walls of ice there.

Ummmm.........Try some reality.
We do know this.:
Antarctica is a continent, not some rim of ice.
The length of the coastline of Antarctica is approximately 11,000 miles.
There are numerous ice shelfs along the coast of Antarctica.(Call them "ice walls" if you will.)
These ice shelfs are not continuous, but separated along the coast.
There is evidence of all of this in surveys, maps and photographs.
The so-called ice wall is just the way Antarctica is shown , a result of distortion on the Unipolar Equidistant Projection of the globe.
The earth is a globe.
The flat earth fantasy of the ice wall simply does not exist.

The only thing we know about the ice wall is from the writings of Rowbotham.
It would have to be a continuous ring around a flat earth, 150 feet high, with a circumference of approximately 78,000 miles."Beyond which, there is total darkness, freezing temperatures, snow, ice and howling winds." (That might not be the exact quote, but the gist of it. LOL)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 01:32:07 AM by geckothegeek »

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2017, 01:18:13 AM »

Of course - you are completely innocent, and completely intellectually honest. My mistake, reading "sentences" and stuff.

geckothegeek

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2017, 01:25:40 AM »

Of course - you are completely innocent, and completely intellectually honest. My mistake, reading "sentences" and stuff.

Of course, Tom Bishop is right as long as he admits there are parts of several non-continuous  ice walls (notice plural) on the Antarctic coast, but wrong if he claims there is one continuous ice wall (notice singular) around the entire Antarctic  coast.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 04:09:32 PM by geckothegeek »

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2017, 01:51:56 AM »

We do know this.:
There are numerous ice shelfs along the coast of Antarctica.(Call them "ice walls" if you will.)
The so-called ice wall is just the way Antarctica is shown , a result of distortion on the Unipolar Equidistant Projection of the globe.
The earth is a globe.

It would have to be a continuous ring around a flat earth, 150 feet high, with a circumference of approximately 78,000 miles.

Tom does apparently now believe in the bi-polar/antarctica-as-a-continent model. (Which he didn't always, but kudos I guess for him being able to change his own mind.) My only issue was the cute little word-games he thinks are so clever. First he clearly, concisely, and tersely referenced the ice wall model ("The picture is proof of an ice wall at the Antarctic coast. How is it not?"). If you didn't actually know his stance on Antarctica, you'd be tempted to bite. Then he "innocently" flipped the script and did a "gotcha" on TomInAustin.

And like always before, I remember why I've left this forum maybe five times before over ten years: because of pedantic, intellectually dishonest intellectual cowards like Tom. Pretty much just Tom.

(And I also junker, I think - who may be one of Tom's old online cohorts who used to go by a different username. If I'm not mistaken [and I could easily be], junker used to be a roundy who came here for fun debates; then turned "FE" for the self-admitted thrills of it...then I think actually bought into it and became an insufferable, pedantic troll. With ban powers. Maybe. I could be mistaken. I'm hoping that bringing this up might trigger others' memories and recollections.)

I can't imagine how anyone could claim to be "happy", pulling bullshit stunts like Tom, every post, every...freaking...day...(it seems)...for >=ten years. I would have committed suicide a long time ago. What a sad, pathetic little existence he must surely lead. His are the childish, clever tactics of an intellectual coward. And sweet jesus, tedious. Like I said - not fun anymore.

I don't even get how FE'ers can stand it. There's no discussion. No debate. No intellectual stimulation. Not a chance of making legitimate intellectual challenges, with honest, stimulating back-and-forth. Not a shred of a chance that any FE'er will every say, "huh, good point maybe I should rethink that aspect". When's the last time you heard Tom say that? (That did actually happen occasionally ten years ago. Maybe not with Tom, but with other, curious, intellectually honest FE'ers.)

This is an FE-run forum. They make the rules, they set the tone. Tom and junkie are big parts of setting that tone. If they set a tone of engaged, non-pedantic, intellectually honest debate - they could actually stand to win over converts. Not many, I'm sure - it's getting harder and harder to win over hearts and minds for any cause - but infinitely more converts than zero.

(I for one love the idea of a flat earth and conspiracy on a scale never before dreamed of in the history of mankind. I would lose my mind in the best way possible if it were sufficiently proven true, and I could think of dozens of ways I could be convinced.)

Their tone sucks, is depressing and combative, and I can't understand why they even bother. They just want it to be an echo chamber I guess, and bully away dissent. So, once again, I'll be done again soon if not now, for like the fifth time over double that many years. Just as well I suppose, as a single parent (I wasn't before), I can't afford the colossal time sink I've allowed this to become. I hope to god I remember why I should never go back, the next time I'm shocked to learn, "that's STILL a thing!?".
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 02:01:04 AM by JoeTheToe »

geckothegeek

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2017, 04:34:31 PM »

Ummm........Are you saying that the length of Antarctica is in question ? Are you repeating that old flat earth word called "fake" that all the surveys, maps and aerial photographs of Antarctica are "fakes" ?

geckothegeek

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2017, 05:01:56 PM »

We do know this.:
The earth is a globe.

It would have to be a continuous ring around a flat earth, 150 feet high, with a circumference of approximately 78,000 miles.

Tom does apparently now believe in the bi-polar/antarctica-as-a-continent model. (Which he didn't always, but kudos I guess for him being able to change his own mind.) My only issue was the cute little word-games he thinks are so clever. First he clearly, concisely, and tersely referenced the ice wall model ("The picture is proof of an ice wall at the Antarctic coast. How is it not?"). If you didn't actually know his stance on Antarctica, you'd be tempted to bite. Then he "innocently" flipped the script and did a "gotcha" on TomInAustin.

And like always before, I remember why I've left this forum maybe five times before over ten years: because of pedantic, intellectually dishonest intellectual cowards like Tom. Pretty much just Tom.

(And I also junker, I think - who may be one of Tom's old online cohorts who used to go by a different username. If I'm not mistaken [and I could easily be], junker used to be a roundy who came here for fun debates; then turned "FE" for the self-admitted thrills of it...then I think actually bought into it and became an insufferable, pedantic troll. With ban powers. Maybe. I could be mistaken. I'm hoping that bringing this up might trigger others' memories and recollections.)

I can't imagine how anyone could claim to be "happy", pulling bullshit stunts like Tom, every post, every...freaking...day...(it seems)...for >=ten years. I would have committed suicide a long time ago. What a sad, pathetic little existence he must surely lead. His are the childish, clever tactics of an intellectual coward. And sweet jesus, tedious. Like I said - not fun anymore.

I don't even get how FE'ers can stand it. There's no discussion. No debate. No intellectual stimulation. Not a chance of making legitimate intellectual challenges, with honest, stimulating back-and-forth. Not a shred of a chance that any FE'er will every say, "huh, good point maybe I should rethink that aspect". When's the last time you heard Tom say that? (That did actually happen occasionally ten years ago. Maybe not with Tom, but with other, curious, intellectually honest FE'ers.)

This is an FE-run forum. They make the rules, they set the tone. Tom and junkie are big parts of setting that tone. If they set a tone of engaged, non-pedantic, intellectually honest debate - they could actually stand to win over converts. Not many, I'm sure - it's getting harder and harder to win over hearts and minds for any cause - but infinitely more converts than zero.

(I for one love the idea of a flat earth and conspiracy on a scale never before dreamed of in the history of mankind. I would lose my mind in the best way possible if it were sufficiently proven true, and I could think of dozens of ways I could be convinced.)

Their tone sucks, is depressing and combative, and I can't understand why they even bother. They just want it to be an echo chamber I guess, and bully away dissent. So, once again, I'll be done again soon if not now, for like the fifth time over double that many years. Just as well I suppose, as a single parent (I wasn't before), I can't afford the colossal time sink I've allowed this to become. I hope to god I remember why I should never go back, the next time I'm shocked to learn, "that's STILL a thing!?".

Like you, I have been tempted to leave this forum several times because it got so bad. But I keep coming back because I find some sensible, factual things to post. The temptation is just too great ! LOL.