Questions to all flat earthers
« on: June 20, 2017, 07:54:46 AM »
What is underneath the Earth?

If the Earth is flat, how can people travel all the way around the Earth in one direction and return to the same place?

How are time zones possible on a flat Earth? Shouldn't the Sun be visible from every part of the world at all times?

Doesn't our current understanding of gravity make a disc-shaped model of the Earth impossible?

Are the other planets flat?

Why is the southern jet stream so similar to the northern one, speed and shapes?

Isn't this an awful lot of mental hurdles to jump over just to insistently back up the idea of a disc-shaped Earth, when assuming a ball-shaped Earth answers all the above questions in a much simpler manner, and with much more scientific evidence to back it up?

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
Re: Questions to all flat earthers
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 08:10:09 AM »
What is underneath the Earth?

If the Earth is flat, how can people travel all the way around the Earth in one direction and return to the same place?

How are time zones possible on a flat Earth? Shouldn't the Sun be visible from every part of the world at all times?

Doesn't our current understanding of gravity make a disc-shaped model of the Earth impossible?

Are the other planets flat?

Why is the southern jet stream so similar to the northern one, speed and shapes?

Isn't this an awful lot of mental hurdles to jump over just to insistently back up the idea of a disc-shaped Earth, when assuming a ball-shaped Earth answers all the above questions in a much simpler manner, and with much more scientific evidence to back it up?

RocksEverywhere

The earth is a dinner plate. The center is the North Pole. The entire rim is the "South Pole".

The sun is positioned around 5000Km above the dinner plate earth and rotates around it East to West. It disappears in the distance due to perspective.

The "current understanding of gravity" you refer to is incorrect.

The existence, composition and shape of other planets is zetetistically unconfirmed but assuming they exist they are probably not flat.

Why should the southern jet stream differ from the northern one?

I think we just easily cleared all the hurdles.

The idea that we are all sticking to a globe hurtling through space at God knows what speed while simultaneously rotating at 1600 Km/hr is a mental hurdle that I should think would be hard to jump over!
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 03:08:20 PM »
I merged the two identical threads you made.

You don't know how circumnavigation works, do you? It isn't surprising given that your other questions show that you haven't done any research whatsoever.

Oh well. Best wishes, and welcome.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:16:57 PM by junker »

Offline Oami

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 06:22:22 PM »
The sun is positioned around 5000Km above the dinner plate earth and rotates around it East to West. It disappears in the distance due to perspective.

There are other threads to discuss this, in which this kind of perspective is strongly questioned.

Namely, that the apparent size first doesn't change at all, and then (as it reaches the horizon) it shrinks to a semi-circle, and then to a dot, and then disappears; and after it has disappeared, it cannot be brought back to vision even with the best optical instruments.

The idea that we are all sticking to a globe hurtling through space at God knows what speed while simultaneously rotating at 1600 Km/hr is a mental hurdle that I should think would be hard to jump over!

What is the problem with that?

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 11:53:32 PM »
I merged the two identical threads you made.

You don't know how circumnavigation works, do you? It isn't surprising given that your other questions show that you haven't done any research whatsoever.

Oh well. Best wishes, and welcome.

With all due respect, although it is obvious he didn't read the material that covers some of his questions, circumnavigation is possible in directions other than east/west.  Starting at the North Pole on a globe, go south(pick a south) and end up back in the same spot.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 02:45:44 PM by TomInAustin »
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 05:32:57 AM »

There are other threads to discuss this, in which this kind of perspective is strongly questioned.

Namely, that the apparent size first doesn't change at all, and then (as it reaches the horizon) it shrinks to a semi-circle, and then to a dot, and then disappears; and after it has disappeared, it cannot be brought back to vision even with the best optical instruments.

What is the problem with that?

Well obviously if the earth is a ball the people and water on the bottom side are gonna fall off. Not to mention how we could possibly withstand the force of being hurled through space while spinning at 1600KM/hr! Use some common sense! Think for yourself!!
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline Oami

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 05:43:17 AM »
Well obviously if the earth is a ball the people and water on the bottom side are gonna fall off.

No, the gravity of the earth keeps it from falling.

Not to mention how we could possibly withstand the force of being hurled through space while spinning at 1600KM/hr! Use some common sense! Think for yourself!!

What force?

If you do the math, how strong is that force supposed to be?

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 05:50:55 AM »
Well obviously if the earth is a ball the people and water on the bottom side are gonna fall off.

No, the gravity of the earth keeps it from falling.

Not to mention how we could possibly withstand the force of being hurled through space while spinning at 1600KM/hr! Use some common sense! Think for yourself!!

What force?

Pretty strong! Kind of like being on a roller coaster ride but not strapped in. Multiply that by 10 and you would probably be pretty close!

Offline Oami

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 06:08:04 AM »
Pretty strong! Kind of like being on a roller coaster ride but not strapped in. Multiply that by 10 and you would probably be pretty close!

Did you do the math?

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 03:25:23 AM »
Well obviously if the earth is a ball the people and water on the bottom side are gonna fall off. Not to mention how we could possibly withstand the force of being hurled through space while spinning at 1600KM/hr! Use some common sense! Think for yourself!!

The main problem is that you have an incorrect understanding of forces. Force is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by it's acceleration. This means that if something is travelling at a constant speed, acceleration is zero, thus the force is zero.

When you say that we would feel tremendous force from the Earth spinning at 1600KM/hr, if the Earth isn't changing it's speed then you won't feel any force at all. It's like when you're in a car moving at a constant speed, it feels the same as when you're stationary. The feeling of force only occurs when you accelerate or brake.

So if we are on a sphere hurtling through space and spinning at 1600KM/hr, if that rate isn't changing we wouldn't be able to feel it. Which we don't. The speed isn't changing either because space is a vacuum, which means that there is no friction to slow the Earth's movement or spin down (space isn't a perfect vacuum, so we are actually slowing down. However it's force is negligable so it's impossible for us to feel it).

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 04:03:14 AM »

The main problem is that you have an incorrect understanding of forces. Force is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by it's acceleration. This means that if something is travelling at a constant speed, acceleration is zero, thus the force is zero.

When you say that we would feel tremendous force from the Earth spinning at 1600KM/hr, if the Earth isn't changing it's speed then you won't feel any force at all. It's like when you're in a car moving at a constant speed, it feels the same as when you're stationary. The feeling of force only occurs when you accelerate or brake.

So if we are on a sphere hurtling through space and spinning at 1600KM/hr, if that rate isn't changing we wouldn't be able to feel it. Which we don't. The speed isn't changing either because space is a vacuum, which means that there is no friction to slow the Earth's movement or spin down (space isn't a perfect vacuum, so we are actually slowing down. However it's force is negligable so it's impossible for us to feel it).

Well I know what I know and no amount of convoluted math is gonna change what I can figur out from commen sense!

Offline Oami

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 04:28:34 AM »
Well I know what I know and no amount of convoluted math is gonna change what I can figur out from commen sense!

So no explanation given, apart from that "you just know". Not even an explanation on where does that claim of "10 times of a roller coaster" come from.

What else does common sense say to you? Does it say that you can immediately read something that someone else (like me) is writing on the other side of the world, and that information is carried from here to you by small, sub-atomic particles? Does common sense say that even atoms exist in the first place?

Offline Oami

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 04:31:00 AM »

Actually, the earth is changing its speed. Not much its magnitude, but its direction. We are on a rotation around the axis of the earth, as well as around the sun.

In order to have the direction changed a force is indeed required. That force is gravity.

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 07:52:47 AM »
Actually, the earth is changing its speed. Not much its magnitude, but its direction. We are on a rotation around the axis of the earth, as well as around the sun.

In order to have the direction changed a force is indeed required. That force is gravity.

Yeah, true. I forgot about that

That's why I tried to make it as simple as possible, without any equations with numbers (just explained with text).
Sorry, but I tried to make it simple. Is one equation - a rather simple one at that - really enough to warrant the phrase "convoluted math"?
Is math wrong?

Offline Smokified

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 01:37:31 AM »

The thing is, that you don't know.  You are simply making things up that seem to make sense to you to justify your position instead of being objective and looking at all of the available information.

I am not sure where you get the idea that you dictate common sense.  What your are saying is neither common, nor does it make any sense.

Offline Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 07:47:15 AM »

The thing is, that you don't know.  You are simply making things up that seem to make sense to you to justify your position instead of being objective and looking at all of the available information.

I am not sure where you get the idea that you dictate common sense.  What your are saying is neither common, nor does it make any sense.

You know what else is common? You're or you are. You know what isn't? Your are.

Offline Smokified

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 01:47:13 PM »

You know what else is common? You're or you are. You know what isn't? Your are.

That is your argument?  Getting hung up on an obvious typo?  Try to stay on topic, or don't bother wasting your time responding.

Offline Toolazytomakeausername

• Most likely a human
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 06:31:09 AM »
The answer to all your questions is in the wiki. Read it before you post.
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way that a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyways. Because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.