Easy proof of a round earth
« on: June 15, 2017, 09:09:10 PM »
I work in an industry that aims Dishes at geostationary satellites. I know FEers don't believe in satellites, they say they are balloons or really tall towers at the equator. Regardless of what they are, they can not deny they are up there. I'll arbitrarily pick one satellite, commonly called "119" or "EchoStar IV". I live  about 5200 miles from the equator, and the satellite is at a 36 degree elevation. Los angeles is  about 3800 miles from the equator, and Satellite 119 is at a 50 degree angle there. Using math or a triangle calculator website and you find that with a "flat earth" model, the calculated height of the satellite is different in each location. The only way the number add up is with a round earth. Also, the fact the elevation angle is ZERO or less if you go far enough north, again, obviously proves a (more or less) round earth.

FWIW, with a "flat earth" the calculated elevation of Satellite 119 would be  about 3778 miles in my state and 4528 miles high in Los Angeles... Some pretty tall towers they build down at the equator.... LOL.

You can confirm these readings yourself, as million of retired RVers do all the time as they set up their dish.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 01:59:17 AM by brad1138 »

Re: Easy proof of a round earth
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 10:43:24 PM »
The space program climate has changed since the Flat Earth movement started.  It isn't just NASA anymore.  Low Earth and Geosynchronous orbiting vehicles are now dominated by commercial satellites.  The function and use of these satellites are not controlled by NASA.  Rocket launches are becoming more frequent and more publicized.  SpaceX has succeeded in changing the rules for access to space and I believe they are just getting started. 

GPS systems are on our phones while they sit in our pockets.  The Flat Earth Society is fascinating, but the NASA (and now multi-national governments) conspiracy theory aspect of it is collapsing. 

The globe-based technologies surrounding us actually work.  When rockets, satellites, dishes, and phones are designed to work as if the Earth is a globe, and they start working, it means the Earth is indeed a globe.
The hallmark of true science is repeatability to the point of accurate prediction.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 11:23:33 PM »
This Flat Earth Theory is Very Entertaining. However, IF the earth was flat, as Columbus thought you could sail over the edge, IF flat, don't you think the (atheist) Soviet Cosmonauts would have told the world? What about those on the space station and Why would any Government spend billions on a bogus space program? Where would planes end up if they just flew a straight line  in one direction and never changed course?

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 10:18:33 PM »
However, IF the earth was flat, as Columbus thought you could sail over the edge...

Columbus didn't believe the Earth was flat. The Earth was widely thought to be round since about 5th century BC. Eratosthenes calculated it's circumference with high accuracy in 240 BC. It's probable that many civilizations felt the earth was spheroid, predating recorded history. The myth that ancients thought the earth was flat, is ridiculous - as is the idea that there was one or more episodic "flat-earth darkness" periods, at least among reasonably educated folk. (Though it seems we could be entering the first!)

What Columbus got wrong, was the size of the ocean he intended to cross.

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 05:10:12 PM »
However, IF the earth was flat, as Columbus thought you could sail over the edge...

Columbus didn't believe the Earth was flat. The Earth was widely thought to be round since about 5th century BC. Eratosthenes calculated it's circumference with high accuracy in 240 BC. It's probable that many civilizations felt the earth was spheroid, predating recorded history. The myth that ancients thought the earth was flat, is ridiculous - as is the idea that there was one or more episodic "flat-earth darkness" periods, at least among reasonably educated folk. (Though it seems we could be entering the first!)

What Columbus got wrong, was the size of the ocean he intended to cross.

Yes - indeed.  He got the diameter of the Earth wrong (the reasons are actually quite well understood now - he used a very outdated map or something like that) - but he knew it was curved.   He crew were uneasy, not because they thought they'd fall over the edge - but because they had been on a voyage at least twice as long as they'd signed up for and with no end in sight.   Supplies were getting low and they wanted to be back with their families.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?