Round vs. Flat
« on: June 14, 2017, 05:32:10 PM »
I noticed this forum last night, joined today, and I can't help but notice all the round earthers who spend time on here. If the flat earth theory is blatantly wrong, why waste any time debating it when you could spend time doing virtually anything else? Are people truly passionate about round earth? I've never met anyone like that in person, but hey, maybe I'm just not paying enough attention. lol
Curiosity has gotten the better of me, I don't mean to sound malicious/sarcastic/whatever. I have nothing against round earthers, since most people are (though, as I said, typically only passionate about it online).
Isn't the FET totally crazy in the round earther's mind? Like someone saying, "they taught us the wrong alphabet, and it's really been this all along!" Well that would be completely nuts and no one would even bother arguing with that, because, what'd be the point? clearly it's insane and I would have better things to do, and rational ideas to contemplate.
I'm just wondering why someone who believes this irrefutable knowledge, that the earth is round, would even make time during their day to stop by this forum.

..sorry for this mess of a post.. also sorry for the bad alphabet analogy, but hopefully instead of tearing it apart you will understand what I tried to say there..

Re: Round vs. Flat
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 06:34:49 PM »
You would also think that if they are so secure in their beliefs they wouldn't spend nearly as much time trying to defend them. So either they are losers with literally nothing else to do or they aren't as confident as they purport themselves to be about their worldview and need almost constant validation and affirmation. 

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 07:26:44 PM »
I noticed this forum last night, joined today, and I can't help but notice all the round earthers who spend time on here. If the flat earth theory is blatantly wrong, why waste any time debating it when you could spend time doing virtually anything else? Are people truly passionate about round earth? I've never met anyone like that in person, but hey, maybe I'm just not paying enough attention. lol
Curiosity has gotten the better of me, I don't mean to sound malicious/sarcastic/whatever. I have nothing against round earthers, since most people are (though, as I said, typically only passionate about it online).
Isn't the FET totally crazy in the round earther's mind? Like someone saying, "they taught us the wrong alphabet, and it's really been this all along!" Well that would be completely nuts and no one would even bother arguing with that, because, what'd be the point? clearly it's insane and I would have better things to do, and rational ideas to contemplate.
I'm just wondering why someone who believes this irrefutable knowledge, that the earth is round, would even make time during their day to stop by this forum.

..sorry for this mess of a post.. also sorry for the bad alphabet analogy, but hopefully instead of tearing it apart you will understand what I tried to say there..

I can only speak for myself.   I have always been fascinated by the things people believe and how they got to that point.   Be it politics, religion, conspiracy theories, and now FE.

Can you tell me how you arrived at the FE conclusion?

Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 08:26:35 PM »

I can only speak for myself.   I have always been fascinated by the things people believe and how they got to that point.   Be it politics, religion, conspiracy theories, and now FE.

Thanks for taking me seriously, what you said makes a lot of sense. I'm fascinated with conspiracy theories even though I don't believe in a lot of them.

I wouldn't say I've concluded the world is flat, it's just that they bring up a lot of interesting points. I know some can be proven wrong, but I feel like some of their ideas make a lot of sense. (globe or plane, I don't trust NASA either way.. scams and lies as far as I'm concerned)
Last winter, my dad started talking about the FET and I thought he was kidding because, otherwise, he's such a brilliant person who was also blessed with common sense. I was surprised when he said that he really thinks it's possible the earth is flat. I actually had no idea this was even a thing until then. Then I started looking at the proofs that it was a globe, and found that there's a ton of people who believe it isn't. Anyways, by looking for reasons he was wrong, I ended up being partial to the idea that our earth really could be flat. Whether it's true or not, I can't deny that I find it fascinating.. also, it makes the Bible more intriguing, too.
I'm keeping my mind open either way; I'm not looking to be swayed one way or the other in this particular thread, just curious about what draws people here. Thanks for your response!

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 08:32:55 PM »
You would also think that if they are so secure in their beliefs they wouldn't spend nearly as much time trying to defend them. So either they are losers with literally nothing else to do or they aren't as confident as they purport themselves to be about their worldview and need almost constant validation and affirmation.

As someone who quit their job last fall, I still don't have that much time to sit around on the internet, so I'd like to believe it's not because they've nothing better to do ;)
My initial post had in it something like what you just said, but my goal wasn't to start a flame war. I've noticed all these threads end up in massive fights but I am genuinely curious, so I wanted a few responses that were somewhat informative before it inevitably degraded to that lol.

Edit: I suck at the internet, please forgive my double post..
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 08:36:24 PM by borntoolate89 »

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 09:15:09 PM »

I came here in a WTF moment, got hooked as I like arguing with crazy people and shitposting complete drivel, but there are many more things to debate than the shape of the earth and it doesn't hurt to challenge your own world view to see if it holds water.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 09:46:23 PM »

Thanks for taking me seriously, what you said makes a lot of sense. I'm fascinated with conspiracy theories even though I don't believe in a lot of them.

I wouldn't say I've concluded the world is flat, it's just that they bring up a lot of interesting points. I know some can be proven wrong, but I feel like some of their ideas make a lot of sense. (globe or plane, I don't trust NASA either way.. scams and lies as far as I'm concerned)
Last winter, my dad started talking about the FET and I thought he was kidding because, otherwise, he's such a brilliant person who was also blessed with common sense. I was surprised when he said that he really thinks it's possible the earth is flat. I actually had no idea this was even a thing until then. Then I started looking at the proofs that it was a globe, and found that there's a ton of people who believe it isn't. Anyways, by looking for reasons he was wrong, I ended up being partial to the idea that our earth really could be flat. Whether it's true or not, I can't deny that I find it fascinating.. also, it makes the Bible more intriguing, too.
I'm keeping my mind open either way; I'm not looking to be swayed one way or the other in this particular thread, just curious about what draws people here. Thanks for your response!

If nothing else is site is a great thought exercise.   It is fascinating to read the WIKI and FAQ but I will restate the FAQ meeds to be updated with a lot more questions.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Dither

• The night above the dingle starry,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 01:32:52 AM »
The reactions to FET on this forum are common with the ones you get when you tell people directly.
Mostly its utter disbelief that a person could even suggest such a thing.

Coming from a Christian perspective regarding FET, these reactions are similar to street evangelism reactions.
Atheists love an argument and will follow you around to debate and heckle you.
They are serious about their beliefs (athiests) and they regard ignorance as dangerous for society.
I have also seen athiests defend Christians from drunks and aggressive people while doing street evangelism.
Again, they are compelled to debate and defend their view, they want to argue the point, not fight.

Your Father is wise to have seen through the deception of the Gobalists.
I believe FET is more evidence of God's creation so please don't forget you also have a Heavenly Father.
Again, I'm coming from a Christian Perspective so you can't expect me to say anything else.
Congratulations on looking at the issues with an open mind  :)

A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

Offline Oami

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 08:03:10 AM »

This is a nice break from debating the politics of my country (which I also do in the internet).

It is a good exercise to debate with people with whom you strongly disagree, and still do that in a civilized way. In politics there are of course more opinions and less hard facts, but some people seem to be very confident with their opinions, up to the point that they start verbally (and, in real life, sometimes physically) attacking people with different opinions. (Fortunately, this doesn't happen very often, but it does happen more often than never, which is too often.)

Offline Smokified

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 03:09:27 AM »

The issue is less the flat earth debate and more that people are not ok with the kind of willful ignorance that goes into perpetuating a theory like the flat earth theory.  This same kind of broken thought process causes some pretty significant issues when it comes to trying to live in a cohesive society.  If you have people who blatantly dismiss or entirely ignore easily provable facts, what common ground does humanity have to work with?