Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: The distance between the sun and the earth
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2017, 02:52:52 PM »
just a simple question needing a simple answer
Isn't it convenient that the answer has already been given to you in a public document which you're expected to read before posting?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Boodidlie

• God is sovereign and I'm just along for the ride
    • View Profile
    • dadmansabode
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2017, 03:23:35 PM »
Isn't it convenient that the answer has already been given to you in a public document which you're expected to read before posting?

this a debate thread ..... I want to hear the answer from your own words
..................................................... ><> God's ability is according to his will <><

geckothegeek

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 03:32:24 PM »

this a debate thread ..... I want to hear the answer from your owgsn words

That's the whole point of a debate.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2017, 03:59:36 PM »
That's brilliant. Unfortunately, debating the very basics over and over is particularly uninteresting, especially when people ask the same question multiple times a day. That's why we wrote our own words down in the FAQ. It is expected of you that you will read it before engaging in discussions here. If you choose not to do that, well, that's on you, but don't expect to be taken any more seriously than geckothegeek

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2017, 04:54:54 PM »
That's brilliant. Unfortunately, debating the very basics over and over is particularly uninteresting, especially when people ask the same question multiple times a day. That's why we wrote our own words down in the FAQ. It is expected of you that you will read it before engaging in discussions here. If you choose not to do that, well, that's on you, but don't expect to be taken any more seriously than geckothegeek

A question on your point.  Why is the FAQ not updated to handle the frequently asked questions that aren't covered?  Seems to me there are a lot of things not covered and that would stop a lot of the same questions over and over.  The navigation problem in the southern hemisphere for instance.  The so-called long haul argument.
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline simba

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2017, 06:06:53 PM »

You wrote it with your own words, then that means you know the answer to his question. Why twist it around? He's just asking a what happens to the sun, not where he can find the answer.

It seems that all what you are doing is juggling around as to not commit to anything you could say so it won't be used against you, so instead you point to the wiki, but when someone use the arguments in the wiki against you and then you say "Yeah, but that's what the wiki says, not me" or "thee wiki is quite outdated". Is just a full circle of not commiting to anything.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 06:10:06 PM by simba »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 08:45:35 PM »
You wrote it with your own words, then that means you know the answer to his question. Why twist it around? He's just asking a what happens to the sun, not where he can find the answer.
Sorry, we don't make exceptions for lazy people. If we start re-explaining the FAQ to one person, then everyone else will rush here with already-answered questions. There's a reason virtually every subject in the modern world comes with an FAQ, and there's always a drove of entitled assholes who think they don't need to read it. I have zero sympathy for these sort of snowflakes.

but when someone use the arguments in the wiki against you and then you say "Yeah, but that's what the wiki says, not me" or "thee wiki is quite outdated". Is just a full circle of not commiting to anything.
I just ran a search for the words "wiki" and "outdated" on my own posts. I only found one, in which I'm calling someone else's Wiki outdated. Naturally, this post is now going to become the second result for future searches. I'm a big fan of correcting the Wiki when it's wrong (although I'm sure some will be eager to tell you that sometimes I take my sweet time to get round to it)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 08:49:09 PM by SexWarrior »

Offline Oami

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2017, 10:26:12 PM »
The wiki doesn't answer to this particular question, the distance between the sun and the earth, which is why I started this thread in the first place.

Boodidlie: according to the theory upon which this forum has been founded to begin with, the sun doesn't really disappear when it sets, it merely goes too far to be seen.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 10:33:08 PM by Oami »

Offline Oami

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2017, 10:32:18 PM »
SexWarrior: as you clearly are a supporter of the flat theory and follow this thread, could you please confirm, question or deny İntikam's claim that the dome prevents us from doing proper measurements – at least those that are based on the assumption that the light travels in straight paths? (I know that this is not exactly a correct assumption because of reflection and refraction, but I believe that concerning this particular topic it is approximately good enough.)

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2017, 10:16:26 AM »
The wiki doesn't answer to this particular question, the distance between the sun and the earth, which is why I started this thread in the first place.
http://wiki.tfes.org/Sun

SexWarrior: as you clearly are a supporter of the flat theory and follow this thread, could you please confirm, question or deny İntikam's claim that the dome prevents us from doing proper measurements – at least those that are based on the assumption that the light travels in straight paths? (I know that this is not exactly a correct assumption because of reflection and refraction, but I believe that concerning this particular topic it is approximately good enough.)
I would start off by warning you about taking Intikam too seriously: he believes he's immortal and that the Illuminati time travellers are out to get him.

With that out of the way, I personally do not believe in a dome/firmament, so naturally I would deny his assertion.

Offline Oami

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2017, 02:33:22 PM »
http://wiki.tfes.org/Sun

Yes, it says "approximately 3000 miles", which, if true, could be anything from 2500 to 3499 miles. The uncertainty with this value is 16,7 %. Since the procedure is pretty simple, doesn't it bother that there isn't anything more accurate?

With that out of the way, I personally do not believe in a dome/firmament, so naturally I would deny his assertion.

Thanks for the answer. So, the light should travel on straight paths (at least close enough) like in the diagram on the first post of this thread: so calculations should indeed be easy.

The problem is that in the diagram there are two methods to calculate the distance, one based on the apparent size and one based on the apparent height: and these two give very different answers.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 05:32:10 PM by Oami »

Offline Boodidlie

• God is sovereign and I'm just along for the ride
    • View Profile
    • dadmansabode
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2017, 02:44:01 PM »
Well let's see now .... according to the RE ....
the Sun disappears below the horizon at a west Sunset because the Earth is rotating away from the Sun .... twill arise in the East hours later
WOW !!! now how difficult was that ?? ... truth indeed has an element of simplicity to it .... no wiki needed
..................................................... ><> God's ability is according to his will <><

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2017, 07:09:26 PM »
Yes, it says "approximately 3000 miles", which, if true, could be anything from 2500 to 3499 miles. The uncertainty with this value is 16,7 %. Since the procedure is pretty simple, doesn't it bother that there isn't anything more accurate?
You have a peculiar idea of "approximately". But no, given that the height fluctuates, it doesn't bother me.

So, the light should travel on straight paths (at least close enough)
Absolutely not. Electromagnetic acceleration applies.

Offline Oami

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2017, 11:37:25 PM »
So, the light should travel on straight paths (at least close enough)
Absolutely not. Electromagnetic acceleration applies.

Oh. I haven't heard that one before.

Electromagnetic acceleration? Is that supposed to change the speed, direction or magnitude of light, or several of these?

On the other hand: if light doesn't travel in straight paths to begin with, then how can "ships not disappearing" be an evidence of anything, as is claimed elsewhere?

EDIT: Actually, the more I think of it the more weird it sounds. After all, the most common argument I ever see for a flat earth is that it looks flat. That when you stand on the shoreline or on a hill or put a balloon with a camera up to the sky, you don't see the curvature. But what's the point in it? The whole concept of "things looking like they are" is based on the assumption that light travels on straight paths. And now you tell me that it absolutely isn't so.

Could someone remind me, what was the problem with the globe in the first place?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 05:44:24 AM by Oami »