I was watching some videos made by flat earthers and they made comments about how nuclear weapons and nuclear power are hoaxes.  Is this a commonly held belief among flat earthers or are those people more on the fringe?  The reason why I ask is I was a Submarine Officer in the US Navy (all submarines in the US Navy are Nuclear) for 9 years and I was frequently in charge of the engine room and the reactor.  I am curious how flat earthers could explain how my submarine could remain submerged for months at a time without ventilating if we didn't have a nuclear reactor.  What power system could move a 7,000 ton submarine at 20+ knots without oxygen?  All surface ship propulsion (with exception to Nuclear Aircraft Carriers) requires oxygen to function.  Other countries use batteries or AIP for their submarines but their submarines are much smaller, weight much less, are much slower and can't stay submerged as long.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Do flat earthers believe in nuclear weapons and nuclear power?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 03:37:36 AM »
I was watching some videos made by flat earthers and they made comments about how nuclear weapons and nuclear power are hoaxes.  Is this a commonly held belief among flat earthers or are those people more on the fringe?  The reason why I ask is I was a Submarine Officer in the US Navy (all submarines in the US Navy are Nuclear) for 9 years and I was frequently in charge of the engine room and the reactor.  I am curious how flat earthers could explain how my submarine could remain submerged for months at a time without ventilating if we didn't have a nuclear reactor.  What power system could move a 7,000 ton submarine at 20+ knots without oxygen?  All surface ship propulsion (with exception to Nuclear Aircraft Carriers) requires oxygen to function.  Other countries use batteries or AIP for their submarines but their submarines are much smaller, weight much less, are much slower and can't stay submerged as long.

Nuclear Bombs = Real
Nuclear Power = Real
ICBMs that can get into space and travel half way "around" the world sub-orbitally = Fake

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 07:49:42 AM »

Nuclear Bombs = Real
Nuclear Power = Real
ICBMs that can get into space and travel half way "around" the world sub-orbitally = Fake
Why would ICBMs be fake? Are cannons fake as well? If I throw something really hard at a 45 degree angle, it'll basically take a path much like what you'd expect from a suborbital flight, minus the altitude.

I have a really hard time figuring out why this is so difficult to understand for an adult with an obvious ability to read.
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 10:07:30 AM »

Nuclear Bombs = Real
Nuclear Power = Real

So does that mean that flat earthers also believe in general relativity and quantum mechanics?  The reason why I ask is that using those theories is essential in order to operate the reactor safely.  If flat earthers don't believe in those theories then how have we operated reactors for 60 years in the Navy without any issue?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 04:36:37 PM »

Nuclear Bombs = Real
Nuclear Power = Real
Why would ICBMs be fake? Are cannons fake as well? If I throw something really hard at a 45 degree angle, it'll basically take a path much like what you'd expect from a suborbital flight, minus the altitude.

I have a really hard time figuring out why this is so difficult to understand for an adult with an obvious ability to read.

Long range ICBMs which go into space sub-orbitally are relying on the earth being round and the ability to slingshot around the earth via 'gravity'. Without that orbital assist those types of rockets are not capable of reaching the foreign enemies we need them to reach. They really only have enough fuel and power to get into space at the right velocity before they start dropping. Hitler was unable to get his V2 rockets onto such a path, which is why the range was limited to about 200 miles and therefore unable to reach American targets.

Nuclear Bombs = Real
Nuclear Power = Real

So does that mean that flat earthers also believe in general relativity and quantum mechanics?  The reason why I ask is that using those theories is essential in order to operate the reactor safely.  If flat earthers don't believe in those theories then how have we operated reactors for 60 years in the Navy without any issue?

What does GR have to do with operating a reactor safely?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 04:59:07 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 05:19:14 PM »
What does GR have to do with operating a reactor safely?

The primary thing we use General Relativity for in nuclear power is the famous E = mc^2.  We use quantum mechanics for pretty much everything that governs the reactor.

You still haven't answered my question though.  Do flat earthers believe in General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 06:10:28 PM »
The mass energy equivalence formula is part of Special Relativity. General Relativity deals with gravity and has never really been proven.

We don't typically hold GR with much regard, nor the Graviton hypothesis of Quantum Mechanics.

Offline TriangularEarth

• Ayy dont ban me for free speach
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 06:37:24 PM »
Wait, so the reason you think ICBMs are fake is because they require a round earth?

Doesn't the fact that they exist prove the earth is round?

free speech pal, get used to it

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 07:14:36 PM »
The mass energy equivalence formula is part of Special Relativity. General Relativity deals with gravity and has never really been proven.

We don't typically hold GR with much regard, nor the Graviton hypothesis of Quantum Mechanics.

Special relativity is a subset of general relativity.  Special relativity was derived to combine Newtonian mechanics and electromagnetism.  General relativity was derived to combine special relativity and Newton's law of universal gravitation.  So are you saying that you believe in special relativity but not general relativity?  Does that mean that you also reject Newton's law of universal gravitation but you accept Newtonian mechanics and electromagnetism?  Do you not believe in all of quantum mechanics or just the graviton hypothesis?