Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #1160 on: April 15, 2017, 03:53:57 AM »
even hitler didn't murder nicole brown simpson

oj is worse than hitler

anyone who says otherwise is just ignorant of history

I mean, did Hitler stab people to death? That takes a different kind of evil js.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: April 15, 2017, 07:46:49 PM »
Well first off, they didn't.
Yes, yes, you dislike that America is a federal republic and would rather it were more like ancient Athens. And here I thought it was the Russians who keep trying to undermine the legitimacy of American elections.

I say that people don't like Republican health care plans since they overwhelming hated the one plan they brought to the table
Yes, that is the indeed claim I'm asking you to substantiate.

Uh, I don't know what else to say about that. Like, you don't have to if you don't want to, I guess?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #1162 on: April 15, 2017, 10:17:19 PM »
Well first off, they didn't.
Yes, yes, you dislike that America is a federal republic and would rather it were more like ancient Athens. And here I thought it was the Russians who keep trying to undermine the legitimacy of American elections.

You were the one who said people voted overwhelmingly. That's not the same as winning overwhelmingly, and the first is false.

I say that people don't like Republican health care plans since they overwhelming hated the one plan they brought to the table
Yes, that is the indeed claim I'm asking you to substantiate.

Uh, I don't know what else to say about that. Like, you don't have to if you don't want to, I guess?

The opinion polls for the one plan they brought to the table, the AHCA, were abysmal:
https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2443
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2017/03/only-24-of-voters-support-gop-health-care-plan.html
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/americans-probably-wont-like-parts-of-the-gop-health-care-bill/

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: April 16, 2017, 12:37:28 AM »
You were the one who said people voted overwhelmingly. That's not the same as winning overwhelmingly, and the first is false.
I see. So, other than a nitpick on phrasing and/or a personal preference for counting votes differently than they're actually counted, do you have a point to make?

The opinion polls for the one plan they brought to the table, the AHCA, were abysmal:
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2017/03/only-24-of-voters-support-gop-health-care-plan.html
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/americans-probably-wont-like-parts-of-the-gop-health-care-bill/
Well, yes, if you spam people with memes about how half of the country will super-suddenly lose access to healthcare, there's going to be a fair portion of knee-jerk reactions to it. Your buddies built this narrative. Now you're expressing some negative emotion (I'll admit I can't read it completely) over the fact that it succeeded.

Meanwhile, American voters like the general direction of Republican changes to healthcare, just not the "wow Trump will literally kill off poor people" memes: http://uk.businessinsider.com/polls-ahca-trumpcare-obamacare-017-3?r=DE&IR=T - that's why the Republicans need to have another shot at it and hope that this time they can exercise better control of media attention around it.

As the whole "Trump is Hitler and a very very bad person" meme slowly dies a death, chances are Democratic obstructionism will become much harder. The very recent effects of constant smear campaigns can only last so long.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 12:42:14 AM by SexWarrior »

« Reply #1164 on: April 16, 2017, 01:23:31 AM »
Well, yes, if you spam people with memes about how half of the country will super-suddenly lose access to healthcare, there's going to be a fair portion of knee-jerk reactions to it. Your buddies built this narrative. Now you're expressing some negative emotion (I'll admit I can't read it completely) over the fact that it succeeded.

Meanwhile, American voters like the general direction of Republican changes to healthcare, just not the "wow Trump will literally kill off poor people" memes: http://uk.businessinsider.com/polls-ahca-trumpcare-obamacare-017-3?r=DE&IR=T - that's why the Republicans need to have another shot at it and hope that this time they can exercise better control of media attention around it.

As the whole "Trump is Hitler and a very very bad person" meme slowly dies a death, chances are Democratic obstructionism will become much harder. The very recent effects of constant smear campaigns can only last so long.

All I see are a bunch of excuses to ignore the fact that the American people didn't like the Republican health care plan, which is what we're discussing, correct? You blaming negative coverage notwithstanding. They may want changes to Obamacare, which is probably why the government has changed hands, but it doesn't mean they like the specific plans that are being put forward. Even your links say that the parts that people like in the AHCA are just holdovers from the ACA.

The Republicans had seven years to come up with a replacement plan, and the only plan they came up with was shitty. And that's not just smear, if you're to believe the Congressional Budget Office.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 01:30:15 AM by trekky0623 »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: April 16, 2017, 07:06:33 AM »
The failure of the AHCA was basically two fold:

1. Tax credits don't do shit.  No one understands how that really works and if you don't have much in the way of taxes, it really doesn't help.  Plus you could end up owing taxes in April to cover the difference.

2. It didn't go far enough.  The AHCA tried to be a middle ground, keeping some items that were popular, such as not excluding pre-existing conditions.  But there was a group of hardliners who feel that everything (including that) should be removed and everything should be rolled back to 2008 laws.  A total, 100% repeal.

So really it's just a division of poor Republicans vs uncompromising Republicans.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: April 16, 2017, 12:35:48 PM »
which is what we're discussing, correct?
No, we're discussing your allegation that the American public likes "universal healthcare or something like that" more than "Republican healthcare plans". Alternatively, we're waiting for you to substantiate the idea that Republican healthcare plans are anything other than popular.

You blaming negative coverage notwithstanding.
"If we just ignore the smoking gun everything suddenly looks fine"

ok thanks

They may want changes to Obamacare, which is probably why the government has changed hands
Well, a partial concession beats nothing, I guess.

The Republicans had seven years to come up with a replacement plan
Do you really think this is how governance works?

« Reply #1167 on: April 17, 2017, 07:35:46 PM »
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: April 17, 2017, 08:21:29 PM »
http://www.gallup.com/poll/208640/majority-no-longer-thinks-trump-keeps-promises.aspx?utm_source=tagrss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=syndication

yeah weird it's almost as if trump just said whatever he thought would get him elected.

In fairness, almost half those people don't like him anyway.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: April 17, 2017, 09:17:04 PM »
http://www.gallup.com/poll/208640/majority-no-longer-thinks-trump-keeps-promises.aspx?utm_source=tagrss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=syndication

yeah weird it's almost as if trump just said whatever he thought would get him elected.

Those poll groups were also saying that Hillary had a 98% chance of winning the election and that many of the states that voted Trump were voting Democrat. Why should your link mean anything now?

« Reply #1170 on: April 17, 2017, 09:41:00 PM »
i wasn't aware that gallup made election predictions.  where do you have gallup predicting a 98% chance of a hillary victory?
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: April 17, 2017, 10:33:14 PM »
i wasn't aware that gallup made election predictions.  where do you have gallup predicting a 98% chance of a hillary victory?

Gallup was predicting overwhelming support for Hillary before the election. All of those polling groups were. Why should your poll mean anything to us considering their checkered past?

« Reply #1172 on: April 17, 2017, 11:11:46 PM »
you'll have to link me to where gallup said that hillary was a 98% favorite.  i can't find anything like that.  i wasn't aware that gallup made any election predictions at all.  opinion polls are not predictions.  obviously the latter relies heavily on the former, but they're not the same thing.

also lots of pollsters called the race much tighter than that.  538 had trump at a 28% chance to win.  let's call him a 3:1 underdog.  that's hardly the upset of the century.  it's basically the same odds as rolling a six or seven on two dice.  would seeing two dice come up six or seven make you think the dice must be loaded?

put another way, 28% is the same chance an average mlb batter has of getting a hit in one at-bat.  but we don't all freak out when it happens like omg what were the odds???  decent odds.  one in four. 

ninja edit: that of course doesn't mean that 538 was for-sure-100%-absolutely-correct about the true odds.  maybe he was a bigger favorite that that, i dunno.  but we obviously can't know how well-calibrated 538's model is from a single event, and 28% isn't such an underdog that we should presume that every opinion poll ever made by anyone is bullshit.  tbh the true accuracy of the model probably isn't knowable.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 11:23:58 PM by garygreen »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: April 18, 2017, 01:52:50 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/17/melania-trump-nudges-donald-remind-raise-hand-national-anthem/

Poorly trained Russian spy doesn't even know how to show respect to the anthem smh

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: April 18, 2017, 04:45:12 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/17/melania-trump-nudges-donald-remind-raise-hand-national-anthem/

Poorly trained Russian spy doesn't even know how to show respect to the anthem smh

Remember that one time Obama didn't salute a marine and the Republicans went ape shit ovee it?

Bet they won't on this.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: April 18, 2017, 02:06:22 PM »
Remember that one time Obama didn't salute a marine and the Republicans went ape shit ovee it?

Bet they won't on this.

Nice subtle racism LD...

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: April 18, 2017, 02:31:26 PM »

Bet they won't on this.

Nice subtle racism LD...
Well someone's gotta do it.  Can't count on the Trumpettes to.

« Reply #1177 on: April 18, 2017, 05:15:26 PM »
Mr. Trump said he told his Chinese counterpart he believed Beijing could easily take care of the North Korea threat. Mr. Xi then explained the history of China and Korea, Mr. Trump said.

“After listening for 10 minutes, I realized it’s not so easy,” Mr. Trump recounted. “I felt pretty strongly that they had a tremendous power over North Korea,” he said. “But it’s not what you would think.”

Oh lordy.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: April 18, 2017, 05:34:45 PM »
Mr. Trump said he told his Chinese counterpart he believed Beijing could easily take care of the North Korea threat. Mr. Xi then explained the history of China and Korea, Mr. Trump said.

“After listening for 10 minutes, I realized it’s not so easy,” Mr. Trump recounted. “I felt pretty strongly that they had a tremendous power over North Korea,” he said. “But it’s not what you would think.”

Oh lordy.

You do realize that Congress, past presidents, and many foreign countries have all been calling on China to rein in North Korea for a long time now, right?

North Korea's existence relies on the massive support given to it by China, and it would be interesting to know why China cannot stop giving that support.

« Reply #1179 on: April 18, 2017, 05:57:13 PM »
because china's number one priority for that region is stability.  they're not into millions of north korean refugees crossing their border.