Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #1960 on: July 26, 2017, 02:19:58 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/26/us/politics/trump-transgender-military.html

good.  people who are weird shouldn't be allowed to serve their country.

This is not surprising.
I mean, you've got old generals who have to balance cost and yes, it IS expensive to accommodate and yes, they'd likely get attacked just like women do.

But banning them is just plain wrong.  Might as well ban women again then, so you only need one bathroom.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #1961 on: July 26, 2017, 04:08:23 PM »
So the last time I was "active" in the FE community, the topic of politics never arose. At least, not to my awareness. But now it seems to be a thing, and it seems there's a higher-percentage of Trump supporters among FE believers, than in the general population. Maybe That's just a feeling, not the result of rigorous analysis. Does this seem true?
You'd be wrong.
Some elaboration would be helpful. I'm not attacking anyone and clearly stated that I'm newly coming back. Just saying "wrong" seems more like an angry rebut to criticism, than helpful discussion. Maybe that's just the limitation of impersonal written communication, but again - more elaboration would be helpful. Do you know FE'ers in the broader "community" personally? Or that are active on this board? Do you know all of the active members, either real or virtually, well enough to say that? Etc. I'm genuinely curious. Thanks.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: July 26, 2017, 06:14:26 PM »
So the last time I was "active" in the FE community, the topic of politics never arose. At least, not to my awareness. But now it seems to be a thing, and it seems there's a higher-percentage of Trump supporters among FE believers, than in the general population. Maybe That's just a feeling, not the result of rigorous analysis. Does this seem true?
You'd be wrong.
Some elaboration would be helpful. I'm not attacking anyone and clearly stated that I'm newly coming back. Just saying "wrong" seems more like an angry rebut to criticism, than helpful discussion. Maybe that's just the limitation of impersonal written communication, but again - more elaboration would be helpful. Do you know FE'ers in the broader "community" personally? Or that are active on this board? Do you know all of the active members, either real or virtually, well enough to say that? Etc. I'm genuinely curious. Thanks.

It might be helpful if you laid out exactly where you're getting your information from, because it looks rather like a blind assumption at this point, which we obviously don't have to answer to without further clarification. I can tell you that I personally am a fervent FE believer who is terrified by the direction President Pussygrabber is taking this country.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: July 26, 2017, 07:37:49 PM »
You'd be wrong.
This forum represents a good cross section of FEers as far as I can tell.
And most of them do not agree with Trump.

Thus, you are wrong in your view that there are a higher percentage of FE Trump supporters than the national average would show.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: July 26, 2017, 10:22:23 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/26/us/politics/trump-transgender-military.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

So according to "Fake News Failing" NYT, the Pentagon had no idea about the policy change.

So much like every major policy shift, Trump has apparently announced it to the world via twitter the moment he decided it instead of, you know, telling the people involved first.

« Reply #1965 on: July 26, 2017, 11:17:52 PM »
You'd be wrong.
This forum represents a good cross section of FEers as far as I can tell.
And most of them do not agree with Trump.

Thus, you are wrong in your view that there are a higher percentage of FE Trump supporters than the national average would show.

It wasn't a view, it was a tentative hypothesis built on explicitly acknowledged "feelings" and little else.

Either way, thanks for clarifying.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: July 27, 2017, 01:08:58 AM »
I mean, an "elaboration" would really just be saying what Lord Dave said with more words. I think he was more succinct than rude or angry.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: July 27, 2017, 07:32:57 AM »
Just start a poll about whether people support Trump or not.

« Reply #1968 on: July 27, 2017, 09:12:47 AM »
I mean, an "elaboration" would really just be saying what Lord Dave said with more words. I think he was more succinct than rude or angry.

Well, like I said in the same post you seem to be referring to, "maybe that's just the limitation of impersonal written communication". You took it one way, I took it another. Cest la vie. Maybe you've had more interactions with lorddave and have a more positive baseline assumption about his tone in a void of context. From my perspective, I don't know him from Adam's off ox, and have learned that if a random stranger on the internet seems like an asshole, it's a fair bet they are. (And no harm if/when others assume the same about me.)

Either way, he took the time to elaborate/clarify, so...the chakras are back in alignment in this neck of flatland.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: July 27, 2017, 11:40:32 AM »
Tone does not translate in text.  For what its worth, I took no offense and did not mean to offend you.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: July 27, 2017, 05:33:24 PM »
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/07/27/539765891/after-trump-targets-murkowski-interior-secretary-reportedly-warns-alaskas-senato

Welp, not surprised.

I'm wondering if people will eventually realize that Trump is a dictator in the making and is doing, quite literally, everything from the "how to become a dictator in a democratic country" handbook.

« Reply #1971 on: July 27, 2017, 06:21:19 PM »
Tone does not translate in text.  For what its worth, I took no offense and did not mean to offend you.

I wasn't offended, but thanks for that. Little gestures like that help make this place a little more pleasant.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: July 27, 2017, 06:22:11 PM »

I wasn't offended, but thanks for that. Little gestures like that help make this place a little more pleasant.

Yeah, we are pretty cordial like that. Most of us also don't like DJT.

« Reply #1973 on: July 27, 2017, 07:07:22 PM »

I find that very surprising and am not afraid to admit I was wrong in my tentative belief that most FEers were Trump supporters.

I wonder if the majority of FEers are also anti-vaxxers, and/or chemtrail-conspiracy believers? I wouldn't be afraid to be wrong on that either, but I'd wager that would bear out. I base that conjecture on the cognitive biases and logical fallacies I see FEers regularly and predictably commit (which we all do to varying degree to be sure), that also form the bedrock of the anti-vax and chemtrail-conspiracy movements. And although we could probably agree there's no (practical) way to reliably measure either - certainly not via survey - I for one would take at face value on this subject, personal anecdote (e.g. Yours or Lord Dave's perspective on Trump support among FEers.)

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: July 27, 2017, 07:24:06 PM »

I find that very surprising and am not afraid to admit I was wrong in my tentative belief that most FEers were Trump supporters.

I wonder if the majority of FEers are also anti-vaxxers, and/or chemtrail-conspiracy believers? I wouldn't be afraid to be wrong on that either, but I'd wager that would bear out. I base that conjecture on the cognitive biases and logical fallacies I see FEers regularly and predictably commit (which we all do to varying degree to be sure), that also form the bedrock of the anti-vax and chemtrail-conspiracy movements. And although we could probably agree there's no (practical) way to reliably measure either - certainly not via survey - I for one would take at face value on this subject, personal anecdote (e.g. Yours or Lord Dave's perspective on Trump support among FEers.)

Whatever assumptions you want to make about FE supporters is fine I guess. None of the things you are talking about are supported by the vast majority of the community here.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: July 28, 2017, 09:47:02 AM »
www.newyorker.com/news/ryan-lizza/anthony-scaramucci-called-me-to-unload-about-white-house-leakers-reince-priebus-and-steve-bannon

Good fucking lord.

I can see his interview to get the job:

"Ok, how much do you hate people who aren't me?"
"Alot"
"Do you hate leakers?"
"Absolutely."
"Are you loyal to me?"
"Yes sir!"
"You're hired!"

Rama Set

« Reply #1977 on: July 28, 2017, 12:15:17 PM »
www.newyorker.com/news/ryan-lizza/anthony-scaramucci-called-me-to-unload-about-white-house-leakers-reince-priebus-and-steve-bannon

Good fucking lord.

He sounds like a paranoid, angrier version of Trump. It's hard to believe that he is in charge of communications based on that little rant.

« Reply #1978 on: July 28, 2017, 01:32:29 PM »
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/kellyanne-conway-suggests-hillary-clintons-language-is-more-vulgar-than-anthony-scaramuccis-2017-07-28

yeah guys but remember hillary??? hillary was the worst. and obama. remember obama and how obama and clinton and democrats? i hate democrats! and obama! and hillary!!! remember hillary?

never forgetti clinton's spaghetti
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: July 28, 2017, 02:14:26 PM »

Good fucking lord.

He sounds like a paranoid, angrier version of Trump. It's hard to believe that he is in charge of communications based on that little rant.

It's par for the course for Trump to hire the absolute worst kind of person for a particular job in his administration. One wonders how he ever managed to stay in business as a mogul.

Oh yeah, by constantly declaring bankruptcy and stiffing anyone gullible enough to do a job for him. I forgot.