The vedic viewpoint of the Flat Earth
« on: June 16, 2016, 05:38:26 PM »
Hi everybody,

I came in contact with the concept of the earth being flat through the vedic scriptures, Indian scriptures of knowledge presented by the Gaudia Vaisnavas, in the West better known as the Hare Krishnas...

Actually there are some Hare Krishnas that still believe the earth is a globe, others not, a discussion is still going on based on scripture. I'm sure in time the globe concept will not prevail.

The paper I'm reading is pro flat earth, based on scripture and many other quotes from books many of you may know.

I'm sharing this with you because as I can see there are questions regarding what is beyond of our known earth. The Indian scriptures can give some insight and I would like to encourage you to read it...

(sorry for my English, it's not my native language)

I uploaded it here;

https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/33466098-06d1-4fb1-a349-322273a36ae6
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 07:02:32 PM by Chris108 »
The truth will always prevail...

Re: The vedic viewpoint of the Flat Earth
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 10:18:56 AM »
The paper "Mysteries of the Sacred Universe,  The Cosmology of the Bhagavata Purana" by Richard L. Thompson,  An Overview... Is pro Globe Earth from the Gaudiya Vaisnavas... When one compares both papers, explanations, one sees how difficult it is for an ordinary person to make a choice in what to "believe"...
The truth will always prevail...

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 12:02:08 PM »
It is pro globe earth, but at least we have a chance to watch the graphics associated with Srimad Bhagavatam in an accesible format.

The most interesting feature is the description of Shveta Dvipa (Greenland in the north, Atlantis in the south):

'According to the Hindu Kurma Purana, an island called Shveta-Dvipa, or White Island, lay in the northern sea, the paradisiacal homeland of great yogis possessing supreme wisdom and learning. Blavatsky writes: 'According to Tibetan tradition the White Island is the only locality which escapes the general fate of other dwipas and can be destroyed by neither fire nor water, for -- it is the 'eternal land' '.

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 07:51:10 PM »
Gola is stated in the same Purana. Gola: (gola) refers to sphere or globe as the celestial globe or as the globe of the sun or of the earth.
Unfortunately the confusion only lies in someone without knowledge of the fundmentals reading such a text and taking what they want from it from their own bias.
The example of the flat earth in the text is being used as an example to understand from a different vantage point, that is all. The text does not state that the earth is flat.

Max_Almond

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 10:39:23 PM »
Krishna.org's science guy reckons that Vedic Astronomy is "the most ancient and accurate system of astronomy on the planet":

https://krishna.org/astronomy-debunked-solar-eclipses-are-not-caused-by-the-moon/

He also tells us that the Vedas explain that solar eclipses are caused not by the moon - which is actually much further away than the sun - but by an undetectable planet called 'Rahu'.

Here is what he says about the flat earth idea:

https://krishna.org/the-flat-earth/