• View Profile
South Carolina Cop Murders Black Man
« on: April 09, 2015, 04:24:47 AM »

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
Re: South Carolina Cop Murders Black Man
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 06:27:46 AM »
I give the department credit for giving no attempt to protect the officer, if not themselves. That doesnt happen often.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Ghost of V

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 07:20:40 AM »
I give the department credit for giving no attempt to protect the officer, if not themselves. That doesnt happen often.

The video is far too damning to attempt a cover up.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 01:11:24 PM »

The video is far too damning to attempt a cover up.

It's not all that much more damning than the Eric Garner case, though, and in that situation they threw the guy who took the video in jail and let the officer free. I suspect that police departments across the nation are just terrified of becoming the next Ferguson. And really, they should be.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 05:44:35 PM »
Actually, it does happen quite a bit. But it usually doesn't make headlines or involve something this serious.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 06:14:14 PM »
It's not all that much more damning than the Eric Garner case, though
Christ, do they really brainwash you this hard in liberal arts colleges?

Surprise, surprise, when there's a good case for indictment, charges are pressed.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 07:04:16 PM »
The Garner case wasn't exactly stellar police work, but the end result arguably had more to do with the fact that Garner was a heart attack waiting to happen than any malice on the part of the police.  Comparing it to this - a cop gunning down a guy who was harmlessly running away and then planting a weapon on his corpse - is pretty silly.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 11:46:50 PM »
The fact remains that he was put in a chokehold until he died. He technically died of a heart attack, but that was after getting choked until he went unconscious. He was already in the ambulance when he had the heart attack. The police officer involved intentionally put a guy in an ambulance for non-threatening, barely violent resistance. I'm sorry if it's controversial to say that choking a guy to death should be enough to get someone indicted.

Anyway, this isn't about Garner. I think we already have a thread about that and I'm not horribly interested in bringing Pizza's intractable fury toward SJWs into the mix. I was just trying to make the point that I suspect this has more to do with the political situation than anything else.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:49:27 PM by Tausami »

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 12:07:08 AM »
The fact remains that he was put in a chokehold until he died. He technically died of a heart attack, but that was after getting choked until he went unconscious. He was already in the ambulance when he had the heart attack. The police officer involved intentionally put a guy in an ambulance for non-threatening, barely violent resistance. I'm sorry if it's controversial to say that choking a guy to death should be enough to get someone indicted.

Anyway, this isn't about Garner. I think we already have a thread about that and I'm not horribly interested in bringing Pizza's intractable fury toward SJWs into the mix. I was just trying to make the point that I suspect this has more to do with the political situation than anything else.

It was really a different case. Restraining someone that resisted, even if a bit, isn't crazy. Cops also hear "I can't breathe" all the time. While it was tragic, I didn't see malice in that case.

But shooting someone that's running, who has no weapon and without any reasonable assumption that they're extremely dangerous? Then proceeding to stage a weapon in his hands? There's definitely some malice in that.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 01:02:02 AM »

It was really a different case. Restraining someone that resisted, even if a bit, isn't crazy. Cops also hear "I can't breathe" all the time. While it was tragic, I didn't see malice in that case.

But shooting someone that's running, who has no weapon and without any reasonable assumption that they're extremely dangerous? Then proceeding to stage a weapon in his hands? There's definitely some malice in that.

I disagree about malice in the case of Garner, because the method of restraint was hardly orthodox. I do, however, agree that choking someone and shooting them are two very different things.

I'm talking about the police response, though. I'm saying that I suspect they'd have reacted differently had it not been for the craziness that was/is Ferguson.

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 01:45:21 AM »
I won't comment on the impact Ferguson may have had here, but I'm betting lots of officers agree with the force used in Garners case but don't in this shooting.

Saddam Hussein

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 08:11:15 PM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/robert-bates-shooting-video-2015-4

I'm pretty willing to believe that this was an accident. I imagine it's hard to pull out the wrong gun without noticing, but I'm sure it's possible. That said, "fuck your breath" is not an appropriate response to "you just shot me and I can't breathe please help me".

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 08:23:31 PM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/robert-bates-shooting-video-2015-4

I'm pretty willing to believe that this was an accident. I imagine it's hard to pull out the wrong gun without noticing, but I'm sure it's possible.

It was supposedly possible before. The cop in that case got two years. The circumstances here are quite a bit different, though.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 08:56:50 PM by junker »

Offline mister bickles

• while there's life, there's hope!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 10:05:20 AM »
its looking increasingly like the perp' grabbed the cop's taser and 'tased' him with it.....

for what its worth....

nisi Dominus frustra

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 03:27:50 PM »
The dash cam video shows that the cop was actually being professional and polite during the initial traffic stop. The suspect not having a registration for the car or insurance certainly didn't help, and of course fleeing. There are still a lot of questions that have to be answered. It is going to be tough to overcome shooting an unarmed suspect in the back unless he posed some immediate danger to others.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 04:23:39 PM »
Another hoax of course.

God is real.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 05:41:23 PM »

Rama Set