Ghost of V

Sony's Project Morpheus
« on: March 21, 2014, 06:11:23 PM »
New VR headset just announced by Sony.
People are freaking out about this on the internet, but I honestly don't think it's going to take off. VR is cool in theory, but the headset looks cumbersome, and VR will probably stay in the niche category. The amount of hype for this thing, and Occulus Rift, is unwarranted. I think Morpheus is going to be lost to time, thrown in the forgotten Sony accessory toybox along with the Move and PlayStation Eye, especially if they throw a huge pricetag on it.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 06:13:41 PM by Ghost of V »

Thork

Re: Sony's Project Morpheus
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 06:33:53 PM »
VR has been around for ages. Can't see it going anywhere. Augmented reality has more scope. Sat navs, head up displays, there are lots of apps that show where aircraft are or the stars or the nearest coffee shop. It can be used in gaming for real world treasure hunts, bring a game into your home etc, but like you say, no one wants to put a bucket on their head to play a game.

Reminds me of that god-awful TV show that was on when I was a kid.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 07:29:51 PM »
VR has been around for ages. Can't see it going anywhere. Augmented reality has more scope. Sat navs, head up displays, there are lots of apps that show where aircraft are or the stars or the nearest coffee shop. It can be used in gaming for real world treasure hunts, bring a game into your home etc, but like you say, no one wants to put a bucket on their head to play a game.

I remember that. It was very rare anybody won.

VR has been around for years and each time it failed commercially. The technology or software hasn't been sophisticated enough.

However if these become more sophisticated I can see VR taking off in a big way.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2533463/The-contact-lenses-away-TV-screens-System-projects-images-eyeball-unveiled-week.html

Ghost of V

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 07:31:22 PM »

What gameshow is that? I've never heard of it.

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 07:33:15 PM »

What gameshow is that? I've never heard of it.

Knightmare

Thork

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 07:45:38 PM »
Yeah, Knightmare. The premise is some kid puts on a magical helmet and his friends guide him around a fantasy world solving puzzles.

As a kid I always thought, "Wow, you'd definitely want to be the one doing the adventure! The others must be so jealous."

The reality is the one doing the adventure is walking around a green studio with a bucket on their head for several hours (the show ran over many episodes) looking at their own feet, with their friends barking "Take 2 steps left! Say "King" that's the password!" and other inane mundane orders.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:48:43 PM by Thork »

Ghost of V

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
The reality is the one doing the adventure is walking around a green studio with a bucket on their head for several hours (the show ran over many episodes) looking at their own feet, with their friends barking "Take 2 steps left! Say "King" that's the password!" and other inane mundane orders.

No wonder I've never heard of it. Sounds abysmal.

Thork

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 07:55:47 PM »
It was huge. Kids watched every episode and would talk about it incessantly at break time. "They should do this, they should do that". What they actually should have done is rip that stupid helmet off and bludgeon the producer with it. >:(

Ghost of V

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 07:57:11 PM »
It was huge. Kids watched every episode and would talk about it incessantly at break time. "They should do this, they should do that". What they actually should have done is rip that stupid helmet off and bludgeon the producer with it. >:(

Sounds borderline illegal and most definitely humiliating.

Thork

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 08:07:14 PM »
You have to remember that at the time my games PC was a 48k ZX Spectrum (The show came out came out in 1987).

the 128k Spectrum with a floppy drive came out the same year. Computer games looked like this ...

Kids were blown away by the graphics on that show. We'd never seen anything like it.

Thork

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 08:09:26 PM »

Holy crap. The music brings it all back. lol. By about 3 mins in you'll get the gist.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 08:12:08 PM by Thork »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 08:32:10 PM »
I actually think the Rift is going to do pretty well; there've been plenty of products trying to hype virtual reality for a long time now, but generally as soon as people tried them it was very much a "wow, this is pretty crap" experience. The same can't be said of the Rift, which has been improving by bounds each year and is leaving people blown away each time. I doubt that it'll go hugely mainstream, but I don't think it's going to be some piece of crap that bombs like people think, based on the silly anecdote that "well VR has usually failed before, so this one will". That looks at exactly 0% of the whole picture, of why VR failed.

So yeah, I'll be getting a Rift once the consumer version comes out and I have money, definitely.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 09:26:25 PM »
My problem with these things is that I don't know that I'd feel comfortable being deprived of reality while playing a game. Presumably these things would essentially take over my sight and hearing ability for an extended period of time. That makes me uncomfortable, and it seems very anti-social.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 10:05:39 PM »
My problem with these things is that I don't know that I'd feel comfortable being deprived of reality while playing a game. Presumably these things would essentially take over my sight and hearing ability for an extended period of time. That makes me uncomfortable, and it seems very anti-social.

This.
I don't like it when I have to remove myself from reality completely.  Especially when I have to sit still while appearing to move.

I'm waiting for the full body g-sensor set which moves your avatar the same way your body moves.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 10:11:50 PM »

Holy crap. The music brings it all back. lol. By about 3 mins in you'll get the gist.
What the fuck is this shit?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Thork

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 10:14:57 PM »

What the fuck is this shit?
You would have loved it. It was made for a 10 year old pizzaplanet.

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 10:42:36 PM »

Same.

I don't think I would like not being fully aware of the world around me. I would feel uncomfortable.

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 11:10:01 PM »
Another thing that worries me is the requirement to wear headsets so close to your eyes. It's tiring enough having a screen 30cm from my eyes all day, let alone having one shoved right in front of me.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 11:11:41 PM »
Why, Sony? Who is the one thinking of all your accessories? You should probably fire them.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 06:44:16 AM »
Hey, even if it does suck, somebody will have to make sure and make it before we drop it like we did with 3Doh wait a minute