Recent Posts

Flat Earth Debate / Re: sun rising below the clouds
« Last post by Rama Set on April 24, 2017, 09:09:33 PM »
Why doesn't the curtain hide the stars which fill the entire sky at night when the sun is supposedly still in the sky but hidden behind the curtain? Are the stars closer than the sun, so they are in front of the curtain? Why does the sun not just go out like a light switch when the curtain is drawn in front of it, instead of the gradual fading of the light at sunset that we see every day?
Perhaps I am having difficulty communicating the point.

The Sun never goes behind the curtain.

The stars and moon may produce a different type of light not affected by the properties of the curtain.

It might be better to use the word veil instead of curtain.

They never just blacken a movie theatre when they are about to show a movie, do they?

Nope, they slowly fade to dark.

A different kind of light sounds super implausible. This light would have to consist of a hitherto unknown subatomic particle that appears exactly like a photon, but for some reason, it does not interact with this veil. Another option is that the veil represents a new fundamental interaction which has never been observed which absorbs one frequency of light but not most.
Philosophy, Religion & Society / Re: Trump
« Last post by Lord Dave on April 24, 2017, 09:00:34 PM »
Sounds like Stoltenberg was basically saying:

"Terrorism is bad and we're trying to fight it."
and
"We need more money."

No where does it even imply that NATO hasn't been trying to fight Terrorism, it just hasn't gotten to the point of a unified front. 
Flat Earth Debate / Re: How does Round Earth Theory explain the Selenelion?
« Last post by Tom Bishop on April 24, 2017, 08:01:52 PM »
The Sun, moon and earth are also not literally at those distances or those sizes. It's a diagram for illustration purposes. Don't be so obtuse - like most flat earth theorists, you completely ignore the concept of scale.

If you read the rest of this thread you will find that we discussed an illustrated how an accurate scale would affect the scene.
« Last post by trekky0623 on April 24, 2017, 07:52:23 PM »
Stoltenberg didn't say that NATO didn't focus on terrorism, though, so I'm not sure how you can take his statement to mean he agrees with Trump that NATO did not focus on terrorism but now does. And I'm sure Stoltenberg didn't think NATO was obsolete as little as nine months ago.
« Last post by SexWarrior on April 24, 2017, 06:38:43 PM »
NATO didn't just start focusing on terrorism, though. Trump just found out that they focus on terrorism. There's a difference.
The Secretary General of NATO disagrees with you. I'll take his word for it over yours, sorry.

From the Politico article I've linked above as part of my clarification:

Stoltenberg said he was of the same mind as Trump on terrorism, a problem toward which NATO has sought to adapt itself to address, and defense spending among member states, which both men agreed must increase.

Then maybe he should look up the definition of Obsolete cause I think the word he should have used was "ineffective" or maybe just say "They should be focusing on Terrorism..." instead of using a word that means "No longer useful as newer things have replaced it's function/it's function is no longer required."
Certainly, he could have picked a better word. But this word was not used in a vacuum, it was followed up with an explanation of what he meant and why. I guess if you're really looking to fault him for something there, then sure: he did not have the best words. Sad!
« Last post by Lord Dave on April 24, 2017, 06:12:31 PM »
Then maybe he should look up the definition of Obsolete cause I think the word he should have used was "ineffective" or maybe just say "They should be focusing on Terrorism..." instead of using a word that means "No longer useful as newer things have replaced it's function/it's function is no longer required."
Flat Earth Debate / Re: How does Round Earth Theory explain the Selenelion?
« Last post by totallackey on April 24, 2017, 05:49:39 PM »
The Sun, moon and earth are also not literally at those distances or those sizes. It's a diagram for illustration purposes. Don't be so obtuse - like most flat earth theorists, you completely ignore the concept of scale.

Explain how the "concept of scale," so drastically screws up what should be PARALLEL light rays emitting from the sun?

I do not care how you demonstrate the scale, if there is direct light coming from the Sun, the entire moon would be illuminated in the photo.
« Last post by totallackey on April 24, 2017, 05:44:26 PM »
Why doesn't the curtain hide the stars which fill the entire sky at night when the sun is supposedly still in the sky but hidden behind the curtain? Are the stars closer than the sun, so they are in front of the curtain? Why does the sun not just go out like a light switch when the curtain is drawn in front of it, instead of the gradual fading of the light at sunset that we see every day?
Perhaps I am having difficulty communicating the point.

The Sun never goes behind the curtain.

The stars and moon may produce a different type of light not affected by the properties of the curtain.

It might be better to use the word veil instead of curtain.

They never just blacken a movie theatre when they are about to show a movie, do they?

Nope, they slowly fade to dark.
« Last post by trekky0623 on April 24, 2017, 05:27:20 PM »
NATO didn't just start focusing on terrorism, though. Trump just found out that they focus on terrorism. There's a difference.
« Last post by Nirmala on April 24, 2017, 04:38:02 PM »
What is the mechanism by which the sun goes dark? And why doesn't it get smaller as it approaches that point, just as everything else gets smaller when it moves further away from us due to our perspective changing?
I would think the mechanism would be the Sun is now out of sight.

Perhaps it might be because it is operating in its own realm of the dome, with a "curtain," made of unknown properties following closely behind and preceding it.

It is within the "curtain," that all appears dark.