Recent Posts

Philosophy, Religion & Society / Re: Modern Feminism
« Last post by Rushy on May 29, 2017, 01:37:16 AM »
Nope. I mean a man.

"Of the woman came the beginning of sin, and through her we all die." (Ecclesiastes 25:22)

"And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire." (Leviticus 21:9)

Women are evil, duh. The only way we can live a virtuous life is if we follow our husbands blindly.

Well your kind did literally open Pandora's box so you are indeed the root of all evil.
Flat Earth Q&A / Re: The Dome
« Last post by geckothegeek on May 29, 2017, 01:06:09 AM »
I know I have been annoying to the FES.
I know I have been guilty of doing the same thing on this subject that I have been doing the same thing over and over on previous subjects .
That is, I  keep asking questions.

I have some ideas of my own, but I would like to see some answers from FE's, in their own words, to the questions listed.

But so far the only FE's I have seen reply are from Dither , Roundy and totallackey, which touched on a few , but not all, of the questions of TomInAustin and myself. Thanks very much , Roundy and totallackey.

My first attempt  on this website was on the subject of how amateur radio operators had  done "Moon Bounce" and had come up with an estimate of the distance from the earth to the moon. I think the details were fairly well covered in detail.

I would just like to see the subject of the dome explained, too....by FE's.
This is what an ISS flyover looks like

Flat Earth Debate / Re: If the Sun is close...
« Last post by Oami on May 28, 2017, 11:14:04 PM »

No, that's not how perspective works.

While perspective really makes parallel lines to converge, that doesn't happen after 6000 miles, but in infinity. Of course, the nearer the lines are to each other, the less distance is required to make them seem to converge. But for 3000 miles, it requires a lot, lot more than 6000 miles. A lot more than what you claim to be the size of the earth. A distance that, if true, would affect the apparent size of the sun as well. (Of course 6000 miles should affect that as well, but I'm not going to that here. The sun should shrink to a dot before it sets.)

What that video actually claims is that nothing, that is over 6000 miles away, can be seen above the horizon, since at that distance every horizontal line converges there. Which makes one ask, where are the stars that can be seen after the sunset, and which seem to be everywhere around the sky.

The video uses a picture of wall panels, but in that picture those panels do not have a converging point until lines are drawn over them. That is understandable, since the maker of the video obviously didn't find an infinitely long wall. As you look closer on the wall, you see how the horizontal panels are being supported by vertical beams: and as you look further and further away, the apparent distances between these vertical beams become smaller and smaller: very unlike the sun on its path down, marked with green spots which seem to be placed pretty evenly.
Technology & Information / Re: Ask Rushy about Bitcoins.
« Last post by Sean on May 28, 2017, 07:40:12 PM »
Cool
Philosophy, Religion & Society / Re: Trump
« Last post by rooster on May 28, 2017, 06:50:21 PM »
Maybe you're right. But I personally disagree. For me, it all forms a bigger picture of his character and makes me keep a closer watch on everything he does.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Flat Earth Debate / Re: If the Sun is close...
« Last post by Tom Bishop on May 28, 2017, 06:31:30 PM »

I'm STILL waiting for a FErs answer to this question ............ w a i t i n g

Philosophy, Religion & Society / Re: Trump
« Last post by Rama Set on May 28, 2017, 06:03:22 PM »
First off I find it troubling that being more concerned for actual policy and action is less valuable to you than body language.
To be fair, he didn't say it was less valuable. It is possible to care about both things to varying degrees. I'm sure we all care more about policy and action more than body language, but we can still ALSO care about body language and how he interacts with other people.

I may not have been 100% accurate in my characterization, but he did say that me judging him on policy over behaviour is a "shockingly low standard", which seems an odd way to phrase it if he meant what you do.  I also never said that I don't care about his behaviour.  Was what he did perhaps on the rude side, if we can indeed confirm that it came from nowhere?  Sure.  Is it a net negative in the long run?  Maybe.  Perhaps it will end up being a net positive too.

Some of us care about it. I understand not everyone does and will see it as pointless. Good on you, I have no problems with that. But I don't see why you think everyone shouldn't care? To me, how he treats people and his constant display of arrogance bothers the shit out of me. It's not how I want the representative of my country to behave. I want my president to treat other people with respect. We can continue to go back and forth over this but it comes down to some not caring and others caring, so I really don't see the point in this.

As I already stated, my issue with nitpicks like this is that people have a tendency to tune them out after a while.  If everything that Trump does, no matter how nebulous, innocuous or minor, is put under a microscope, I strongly believe that people's appetite for discussing issues of major importance will be diminished.  The real prize to keep our eye on here is to see Trump not get re-elected, and steering the conversation towards his policy failures is a better way to do it I think.
The earth is most likely flat, because that is what is observed.

The earth most likely has two poles, because two poles have been observed.

The firmament most likely does not exist, because it has not been observed.

The earth is most likely endless, because it is seemingly endless. No end has been observed.