Rama Set

Re: Just Watched
« Reply #1700 on: December 06, 2016, 03:06:05 PM »
Well it looks like Luke Cage snapped Marvel's winning streak.  What a crap show.

I liked it until Diamondback became the main antagonist. I enjoyed the battle of public image being played out with Luke, Cottonmouth and the Councilwoman. Once they realised Luke couldn't be hurt conventionally, the attempt to destroy him by hurting people close to him and his image in the eyes of Harlem was a really interesting take on the superhero v big bad story.

Then they found magic superbullets and it descended back into a punch-em-up.

Me too, but it was just so bad once Cottonmouth came in.  The worst writing of any MCU title hands down, the final showdown with Cottonmouth was terribly conceived and I expect Marvel to give a little more depth of the choice for the police not to intervene.  The final episode was just boring, like the last 30 minutes of the Return of the King but without the lofty height to come down from.  The romantic subplot felt very hackneyed too.  Ugh all all around.  I like Luke Cage a lot, but am happy to put this behind me.  Can't wait for Iron Fist and then the Defenders!  Hope Marvel gets back on that horse!

George

« Reply #1701 on: December 06, 2016, 04:32:30 PM »
Well it looks like Luke Cage snapped Marvel's winning streak.  What a crap show.

I liked it until Diamondback became the main antagonist. I enjoyed the battle of public image being played out with Luke, Cottonmouth and the Councilwoman. Once they realised Luke couldn't be hurt conventionally, the attempt to destroy him by hurting people close to him and his image in the eyes of Harlem was a really interesting take on the superhero v big bad story.

Then they found magic superbullets and it descended back into a punch-em-up.

Me too, but it was just so bad once Cottonmouth came in.  The worst writing of any MCU title hands down, the final showdown with Cottonmouth was terribly conceived and I expect Marvel to give a little more depth of the choice for the police not to intervene.  The final episode was just boring, like the last 30 minutes of the Return of the King but without the lofty height to come down from.  The romantic subplot felt very hackneyed too.  Ugh all all around.  I like Luke Cage a lot, but am happy to put this behind me.  Can't wait for Iron Fist and then the Defenders!  Hope Marvel gets back on that horse!

You mean Diamondback?  He was the guy in the awful outfit at the end.  Cottonmouth was the villain for the first part of the season.

« Reply #1702 on: December 06, 2016, 06:57:51 PM »
To the surprise of absolutely no one, it turns out that the Man in Black is William.  Also, I have to say that the breakout scene was horrendously, catastrophically bad.  Plot armor!  Bottomless magazines!  Dozens of security personnel apparently just refusing to fire back!

i thought the funniest part of that scene was when they first went into "lockdown."  i feel like if i were designing a super secure bunker, lockdown mode wouldn't initiate a bunch of dim, blood-colored lighting from the baseboards. 

and there would be a protocol called "if the robot you're trying to catch runs into a room with nothing but other robots in it, then just shoot all the robots in the room.  fixing robots with gunshot wounds is one of those things we do super well around here.  don't wander in alone in the dark and check each one by hand.  that's kinda dumb."  or something to that effect.

overall, though, i really enjoyed the episode.  i will sound a little like ronald macdonald when i say this, but i really appreciated having everything explained to me in exposition in the first half hour.  normally i don't, but in this case i think the disjointed story-telling warranted it.  if only to confirm what most of the viewers already knew.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Rama Set

« Reply #1703 on: December 06, 2016, 09:58:01 PM »
You mean Diamondback?  He was the guy in the awful outfit at the end.  Cottonmouth was the villain for the first part of the season.

Yeah that's what I meant. Cottonmouth was ok, I just felt like he played a lot of scenes the same.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: December 07, 2016, 01:12:05 PM »
To the surprise of absolutely no one, it turns out that the Man in Black is William.

Carter told me people had this theory, but otherwise I never would have seen it coming. I did like it though.

overall, though, i really enjoyed the episode.  i will sound a little like ronald macdonald when i say this, but i really appreciated having everything explained to me in exposition in the first half hour.  normally i don't, but in this case i think the disjointed story-telling warranted it.  if only to confirm what most of the viewers already knew.

Definitely agree. There were moments when I would just say "I don't get it." They tried to be so convoluted about what? Consciousness? I don't get it.

And who the fuck programmed Maive? And why?

I saw Dolores's ending from a mile away. I don't know why they put so much focus on her though, she's very boring.
The break out scene was awful. I thought the only cool thing about it was being able to see that awesome snake tattoo again.

Anyone else notice how tiny Ed Harris looked during the gala? He's not particularly tall, but the angles weren't doing him any favors. We legitimately laughed the first time you see him walking through the event.

I didn't enjoy that episode as much as I enjoyed ep9. But overall, I like the show more than I did at the beginning.

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: December 14, 2016, 10:43:44 PM »
Hey everyone!  I am on the news ABC show, "Designated Survivor" premiering tonight at 10pm!  Watch it and then talk about how terrible I was in this thread after!  I play the head of the White House military staff.  I am responsible for the "nuclear football".  It is pretty rad.

You handled that "football" like a pro, are you in any of the rest?
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: December 15, 2016, 03:16:45 AM »
Just got back from Rogue One. Holy shit,that's how you make a Star Wars prequel. No grand heroics to destroy yet another weapon, just the average grunts in the civil war fighting one small front. The characters were well drawn, being free from the curse of the saga meant that every time the characters were in danger there was genuine jeopardy. The Death Star was a properly intimidating threat instead of the ludicrous silliness of Starkiller Base, the visuals were stunning and Vader is honestly the most badass he's been throughout all 8 films.

There are a few niggles but honestly not enough to spoil the fun. Great film, go see it.

George

« Reply #1707 on: December 25, 2016, 03:54:55 AM »
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (Seasons 8-11, 20012-2016)

Just making a note here that I watched the last four seasons, and it's still great - no sudden downturn in quality or anything, and I'm eagerly looking forward to the twelfth season next month.  This is the best sitcom I've ever seen.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: December 25, 2016, 05:15:23 AM »
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (Seasons 8-11, 20012-2016)

Just making a note here that I watched the last four seasons, and it's still great - no sudden downturn in quality or anything, and I'm eagerly looking forward to the twelfth season next month.  This is the best sitcom I've ever seen.

I've never seen George be so right about anything ever.

« Reply #1709 on: December 25, 2016, 05:28:30 AM »
it's remarkably consistent. 

season 9 is the only one i found disappointing.  it was still funny, but i thought all the episode punchlines were unusually obvious: dee wasn't really famous, frank didn't really care about gun rights, the gang wasn't really sick, charlie wasn't really smart, etc.  they used the same gag for like 3/4 of that season.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: December 30, 2016, 04:38:44 AM »
Watched season 1 of Westworld, I thought it was fantastic tbh.

Picking up Oz (HBO 1999) again, at Season right at the beginning of Season 3. I love this show.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: January 02, 2017, 09:14:46 PM »
Just finished the second season of Man in the High Castle.

I liked it.

Elusive Rabbit

« Reply #1712 on: January 19, 2017, 03:40:26 AM »
I watched The Accountant the other night.

Alright, I gotta hand it to the casting -- Ben Affleck, Anna Kendrick, and J. K. Simmons. I was a happy camper seeing them all show up.

That being said, this movie did a lot of things wrong, kind of like Affleck's previous big-shot film Batman vs. Superman; but also like BvS, whenever TA did something right, it did it really well. The movie broke some common tropes, introduced a few nifty ideas, managed to avoid romance subplots and weird plot detours. It was pretty focused and accomplished, in a lot of ways. I have mixed feelings about the film, but I still enjoyed it and would watch it again.

Rama Set

« Reply #1713 on: January 19, 2017, 03:57:34 AM »
Currently watching Dirk Bigly, Holistic Detective and it's pretty awesome, silly absurd fun. There is some serious good performances in it, especially Billy, the holistic assassin. Watch now on Netflix.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: January 20, 2017, 11:35:53 AM »
Currently watching Dirk Bigly, Holistic Detective and it's pretty awesome, silly absurd fun. There is some serious good performances in it, especially Billy, the holistic assassin. Watch now on Netflix.

I enjoyed it, but Elijah Wood's character just didn't belong in proceedings. At all. In a series about kittens loaded with shark ghosts, time machines, body-swapping cultists, kidnapped god-girls, steampunk Iron Men, a van full of psychic anarchists straight out of an 80s action film, and an invincible assassin, his leaden story was so weirdly out of place I kept expecting it to be a subversion. I understand the need to have a 'Straight Man' in a series like this, but the point of one is to give the audience a relatable character and emphasise how weird everything else happening around him is, you're not supposed to focus on his straight man story itself, especially not when it's so tedious and unrelated to the fun nonsense.

Tonally it's all over the place, as well; never seeming sure whether it wants to be a comedy, a serious drama, or a sci-fi thriller. As such, some of the jokes fall flat, the emotional scenes lose their weight, and the action isn't exciting.

Hopefully, some of those issues can be polished out for Season 2

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: January 28, 2017, 05:18:41 PM »
Man of Steel (Zack Snyder)

One of the most joyless, soulless films I've ever seen. It feels less like a product of human invention than it does of some AI experiment in which a computer was fed a checklist of dramatic elements and made to generate a screenplay based on it. I was fortunately watching it with my good buddies Snupes and Saddam, so we had a good laugh at it, but holy shit what a miserable wreck of a film.

Elusive Rabbit

« Reply #1716 on: January 29, 2017, 01:09:29 AM »
Man of Steel (Zack Snyder)

One of the most joyless, soulless films I've ever seen. It feels less like a product of human invention than it does of some AI experiment in which a computer was fed a checklist of dramatic elements and made to generate a screenplay based on it. I was fortunately watching it with my good buddies Snupes and Saddam, so we had a good laugh at it, but holy shit what a miserable wreck of a film.
I recall liking Man of Steel when I first saw it some three or four years ago. It wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination, but I still enjoyed myself.

I recently watched Hard Candy, which stars Patrick Wilson and Ellen Page, both of whom do a fantastic job. The cinematography, and general feeling of the film, is masterful. It is a very engaging, intense experience. I especially like the variety of loose threads in the film's plot, something that allows the central narrative to flourish and intentionally leaves the viewer in the dark. This is a movie I'd recommend, no doubt.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: January 29, 2017, 04:56:45 AM »
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice (Zack Snyder)

Fuck off.

Suicide Squad (Kevin Ayer)

please stop

EDIT: His name is David Ayer I don't care he is a massive cunt.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 05:05:13 AM by Crudblud »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: January 29, 2017, 07:28:55 AM »
lmao

Seriously though, thanks for watching. I can't think of many people that'd suffer through eight hours of utterly soul-suckingly awful films just to make fun of them with me. <3
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: January 29, 2017, 03:37:37 PM »
lmao

Seriously though, thanks for watching. I can't think of many people that'd suffer through eight hours of utterly soul-suckingly awful films just to make fun of them with me. <3

Thank you, too. I couldn't have done it alone, that's for sure. I had seen films that I would still consider to be overall worse than any of them, but I'm not sure I'd ever before seen a film in which my expectations were progressively lowered with each new scene. Well, now I've seen three.

I'm not sure how we made it through. Truly, we were some kind of suicide squad