Offline rooster

• cock-a-doodle-doo, darlin'
    • View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #1740 on: March 20, 2017, 07:53:14 PM »
Logan

Was alright. The emotion, acting, and production were all good. I didn't care for the plot at all.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Bird with a broken wing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: March 22, 2017, 04:08:23 AM »
Iron Fist (Scott Buck, 2017)

Ayyy, I get to play contrarian to Saddam again.

I liked it. Well, enough that I'd say it's "alright". It's weird, because I feel like I've watched a completely different show than a lot of the people calling it a piece of shit. I don't disagree with a lot of the criticisms—the dialogue was bad, the fight scenes weren't great, and the story is weak—but not to such an extreme. I went in thinking I'd agree with all the reviews, but I've come out very differently. Rand was an awfully-written  character, but it had little to nothing to do with Finn Jones. His acting was fine throughout, he just really was not given anything good to work with. The fight scenes in the first half were very poorly done, but they improved dramatically in the second half (and, warning, I thought Daredevil just had alright fight scenes for the most part, too). So did the story, since they basically fully-embraced "hey, this is fucking nuts" and just went off the rails. That's not to say it's great, but I was way more hooked in the second half than I was in the first.

The highlight of the show, actually, are the Meachums. Ward, in particular. I was getting emotional whiplash with all the times he made me feel bad for him then made me hate him one after the other. His felt like the most fully-developed character in the show, and the one who made the most consistent decisions for the most part. Harold was delightfully hateable and...odd enough to be interesting. Joy was, well, Joy. I thought she was kind of fucking stupid but hey I guess she made me feel something.

No, not exactly a glowing review, but it wasn't a great show. Odd pacing, lackluster fight scenes (for the most part), bad dialogue, weak story, etc. I just don't think it's nearly as awful as people are saying. Maybe it's because the MCU and expectations are high (which they shouldn't be after Daredevil season 2), but I'd rather watch Iron Fist than most shit on TV. That being said, so far my MCU Netflix ranking goes:

Jessica Jones: Season 1
Daredevil: Season 1
Daredevil: Season 2 (Part 1)
Luke Cage: Season 1
Iron Fist: Season 1
Daredevil: Season 2 (Part 2)

The biggest disappointment in the show, for me, is that he didn't get his costume!!!! He's got the coolest costume of the bunch, so he better not just be Danny Rand: Vigilante Extraordinaire. So I don't agree with the more extreme views that season two should be axed or Finn Jones replaced, I just think they need a new showrunner and Jones should spend the time up until The Defenders practicing his kung fu.
Quote from: garygreen date=1480782226
i also took an online quiz that said i was a giraffe.  and i guess you're dumb enough to believe that i must be because the internet said so.

Offline honk

• View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: March 24, 2017, 12:28:23 AM »
I just don't think it's nearly as awful as people are saying. Maybe it's because the MCU and expectations are high (which they shouldn't be after Daredevil season 2)

I'd say it's the inverse - fans have dramatically lowered their standards because of their general level of hype and excitement, and are willing to enjoy anything that has the Marvel logo and goes through the motions of being capeshit. I'm confident that after a few weeks, maybe months, the dust will settle and the fans currently insisting that "it's not so bad" will admit that the show was basically shit. I mean, you seem to already be conceding that the show is shit in your review, but that you still somehow unironically enjoyed it.

Also, the fan backlash against critics slamming the show for playing the "mighty whitey" trope straight and its general portrayal of race is ridiculous. For one thing, it's a perfectly valid criticism of the show, and for another, there isn't a single reviewer that hasn't provided plenty of other reasons for panning the show.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 09:50:58 PM by honk »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Bird with a broken wing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: March 24, 2017, 03:26:50 AM »
I can't think of many instances where getting hyped has made my expectations lower. And before you cry about my fangirling, that has little to do with my hype and everything to do with being blinded as a fangirl. Generally if I'm hyped about something (cough and such watchdogs coughing) it raises my expectations dramatically, which is one of the main reasons I've tried to stop hyping myself about things.

Also, I'm not conceding it's "shit", just that it's not good. It was an okay/alright show I enjoyed thanks to some characters and plotlines (Ward and Ward); most of my argument is literally "I don't think it's as bad as people say". The difference between a 2/10 rating and a 5/10 rating.

I know you have a hard time with subjectivity and people having differing opinions (granted, I just find it really fucking annoying when people say shit like "in x amount of time you'll agree" as some weird way to deflect disagreement off to some vague future point), but I'm so non-enamoured by this show that I'm confident my opinion on it is not likely to change much. Just like I think the same of Daredevil season 1 as I did after I watched it, or Jessica Jones, or Luke Cage, or Daredevil season 2...
Quote from: garygreen date=1480782226
i also took an online quiz that said i was a giraffe.  and i guess you're dumb enough to believe that i must be because the internet said so.

Offline honk

• View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: March 24, 2017, 09:50:32 PM »
I can't think of many instances where getting hyped has made my expectations lower. And before you cry about my fangirling, that has little to do with my hype and everything to do with being blinded as a fangirl. Generally if I'm hyped about something (cough and such watchdogs coughing) it raises my expectations dramatically, which is one of the main reasons I've tried to stop hyping myself about things.

Also, I'm not conceding it's "shit", just that it's not good. It was an okay/alright show I enjoyed thanks to some characters and plotlines (Ward and Ward); most of my argument is literally "I don't think it's as bad as people say". The difference between a 2/10 rating and a 5/10 rating.

I know you have a hard time with subjectivity and people having differing opinions (granted, I just find it really fucking annoying when people say shit like "in x amount of time you'll agree" as some weird way to deflect disagreement off to some vague future point), but I'm so non-enamoured by this show that I'm confident my opinion on it is not likely to change much. Just like I think the same of Daredevil season 1 as I did after I watched it, or Jessica Jones, or Luke Cage, or Daredevil season 2...

The show is bad and your opinions are bad. Also, I want to see a fight between Danny and Liam Neeson's character from the Taken movies:

(btw I meant to say "standards" instead of "expectations")

Offline Crudblud

• A Most Respectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: March 29, 2017, 03:22:55 AM »
Marvel's Luke Cage

Well, I finished it a few days ago, so this is not "just watched", but whatever. I enjoyed it. The character is no longer Generic Buff Black Dude, has a lot more to do than in Jessica Jones, and he's much more interesting and likeable. Mike Colter is a much better actor than I thought he was, though sometimes hammy dialogue serves him poorly. I forgot the other actors except Rosario Dawson, who similarly has much more going on than in previous shows while remaining true to her character. The villains in the first half are well-grounded scumbags with lots of character, the villain in the second half is a crazy Bible-quoting gangster with less character but I thought he was hilarious in a good way, so whatever.

The music is mostly very good, mixing hip-hop, blaxploitation-y funk, jazz, blues, soul etc. and relating that to the Harlem setting, which is well realised as a place and a community. I was generally invested in Cage's campaign to save it from criminal businessmen and corrupt politicians, because it seemed worth saving. It felt much more "real" than the Hell's Kitchen setting of previous Marvel Netflix thingies, which didn't seem much different than any generic New York setting seen in countless other shows and movies, and the musical culture is a big part of why that is. I didn't like all of the music, though, there are performances from actual groups and rappers in most episodes, one by The Delfonics is ear-gratingly bad.

It's a lot better than I was expecting it to be, overall, and I didn't think it dropped in quality in the second half either. There isn't really much point in me recommending it since there are only two other people here I'm aware of who even care about Marvel stuff and they already saw it ages ago, but I liked it.
I've never seen the show, but just from reading the synopses on Wikipedia and articles like these, I can tell I'd hate it.