Trip To View Catalina Island for curvature proof
« on: August 06, 2017, 08:54:32 AM »
I am new to the flat earth idea. I live in Torrance Ca. Just 11 miles from catalina express. Catalina express is located 22 miles from catalina island. I will soon be taking the trip to see for myself what i can and cannot see with a telescope from shore to shore. I will provide many photos of what i see.
I'm also thinking of taking the fairy and setting up the telescope with a video capture, so that everyone will be able to see what gets exposed as the fairy gets closer and closer to the island. (Surely, there will be no dismissing this simple proof, right?)

GE's say that the only thing which can be seen from the coast of california to catalina island is just the mountain tops. While,
FE's suggest that you would see everything from the coast of catalina all the way up to the mountain tops.

If no shoreline/shops/beach can be seen through the telescope then that proves the curvature of the earth, does it not? Will the evidence actually be considered.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 09:03:22 AM by curiousjoe »

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
Re: Trip To View Catalina Island for curvature proof
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 03:52:47 PM »
I am new to the flat earth idea. I live in Torrance Ca. Just 11 miles from catalina express. Catalina express is located 22 miles from catalina island. I will soon be taking the trip to see for myself what i can and cannot see with a telescope from shore to shore. I will provide many photos of what i see.
I'm also thinking of taking the fairy and setting up the telescope with a video capture, so that everyone will be able to see what gets exposed as the fairy gets closer and closer to the island. (Surely, there will be no dismissing this simple proof, right?)

GE's say that the only thing which can be seen from the coast of california to catalina island is just the mountain tops. While,
FE's suggest that you would see everything from the coast of catalina all the way up to the mountain tops.

If no shoreline/shops/beach can be seen through the telescope then that proves the curvature of the earth, does it not? Will the evidence actually be considered.

Yes,  that would be proof which ever way the results come out.   A side note:  No need for you to take the boat, just take shots of it as it either sinks below the horizon or doesn't. 

Will the evidence be considered?  Doubtful. 
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 06:02:29 PM »
GE's say that the only thing which can be seen from the coast of california to catalina island is just the mountain tops. While, FE's suggest that you would see everything from the coast of catalina all the way up to the mountain tops.

That's not quite right.  Round Earthers are the ones who point out that IF the earth were flat you SHOULD be able to see the coast of Catalina from anyplace that offers a view of the Catalina peak.  Flat Earthers acknowledge that you cannot see it, and propose various atmospheric and perspective effects to explain why you cannot.

Presumably you plan to take a FERRY,

not a FAIRY?

It might seem a small point, but the interwebs are a vicious place, gotta get your spelling correct.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 10:09:09 PM »
So, theres no point in performing this experiment because "perspective effects" will attribute for the vanishing issue?

Even with a telescope? should the vanishing point at least change?

Hmmm

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 03:34:03 AM »
curiousjoe, at least it will be an interesting trip!

Offline Dither

• The night above the dingle starry,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 04:14:53 AM »
If no shoreline/shops/beach can be seen through the telescope then that proves the curvature of the earth, does it not?

No it doesn't,

As others will tell you on here, these distance tests are subjective and people see what they want to see.
You will only convince yourself, and if the experiment points to a flat earth you will find a way to reject it.
Plenty of people have already tried these methods with both results being achieved.
If you think the worlds a globe now, don't be surprised if its reflected in your results.
And if you discover that its really flat, no one on here will believe you even with photographic proof.

But yeah, what the hell, try it anyway...

A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 02:52:09 PM »
If no shoreline/shops/beach can be seen through the telescope then that proves the curvature of the earth, does it not?

No it doesn't,

As others will tell you on here, these distance tests are subjective and people see what they want to see.
You will only convince yourself, and if the experiment points to a flat earth you will find a way to reject it.
Plenty of people have already tried these methods with both results being achieved.
If you think the worlds a globe now, don't be surprised if its reflected in your results.
And if you discover that its really flat, no one on here will believe you even with photographic proof.

So what you are saying is that if you and I were on Tom's mystical beach and looked through a telescope, you would see the other beach and I would not be able to?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 04:52:54 PM »
That's not quite right.  Round Earthers are the ones who point out that IF the earth were flat you SHOULD be able to see the coast of Catalina from anyplace that offers a view of the Catalina peak.  Flat Earthers acknowledge that you cannot see it, and propose various atmospheric and perspective effects to explain why you cannot.

Actually our position is that sometimes you can or cannot see distant bodies at sea, depending on wave conditions, and that this was all documented over 150 years ago. A calmer body of water is a more appropriate location for this experiment. See the chapters Why A Ship's Hull Disappears Before The Mast-Head and Perspective at Sea in Earth Not a Globe by Samuel Birley Rowbotham.

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 05:06:56 PM »

No it doesn't,

And observations and measurements prove a round earth.  Please provide details of recent experiments that prove otherwise.

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 05:08:14 PM »

Actually our position is that sometimes you can or cannot see distant bodies at sea, depending on wave conditions, and that this was all documented over 150 years ago. A calmer body of water is a more appropriate location for this experiment. See the chapters Why A Ship's Hull Disappears Before The Mast-Head and Perspective at Sea in Earth Not a Globe by Samuel Birley Rowbotham.
Who is this 'we' you keep mentioning? Recent tests please, possibly not involving triangles...

geckothegeek

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 08:17:57 PM »

Just a nit pick. The boat is a "ferry" and not a "fairy."
Some say the word "fairy" has a connection with tales of a flat earth.

geckothegeek

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 08:26:46 PM »

Just a friendly suggestion, Tom.
I think you should find some one in the Navy and get their opinion on the works  of Samuel Birley Rowbotham......
If you regard them as "the sacred texts."
You might find there is a difference of opinion.
I think I would find a truthful 21st Century Naval Person a better and more truthful source of information than a questionable 19th  Century writer.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 09:44:46 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline Dither

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 09:43:29 PM »
So what you are saying is that if you and I were on Tom's mystical beach and looked through a telescope, you would see the other beach and I would not be able to?

When you look at photo's of the lunar landings, do you perceive them as being real?
A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.

geckothegeek

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 09:45:58 PM »

When you look at photo's of the lunar landings, do you perceive them as being real?

Depends on whether you are a flat earther like Tom  or not.
Depends on how much you know about the subject and if you want to do some research if you don't know.

I was only in the USN for 4 years and in a rather specialized "specialty rating."
But I should imagine if there are any real sailors (the QM's and BM's)who are reading some of these flat earth ideas, they are getting some laughs and shaking their heads and asking the question "Are these people for real ? "
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 09:56:29 PM by geckothegeek »

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 10:13:12 PM »
I came here searching for answers, but there are no answers here.
To say that i will see what i want to see is nonsense.
I am here objectively looking for the truth.
Telling me, that there will not be proof because i don't want to see it is ridiculous!
That answer has seriously swayed me back to thinking this whole flat earth is, that's right, nonsense!
And "fairy's" have something to do with flat earth? OK. I'm done.

Offline Dither

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 06:45:17 AM »

Then do the experiment and see for yourself,  :)

Remember also that you already hold a position.
Do you think its easy to change everything you believed in since you were a little child.
These sighted distance arguments are hard to prove either way.
This has also been pointed out by the Roundies on this forum as well,

I believe it has been proved beyond reasonable doubt that the earth is flat many many times over.
Have a good look on line, read the literature, check out the laser tests, photos, weather balloon evidence.
If you are objective then why let some people who you've never met before on a internet forum stop you.
Does FET live and die by the things random people say here, be they roundies or flatties.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 06:46:57 AM by Dither »

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 06:07:14 PM »

Not the same thing at all. 

Let me try again.  If you and I set up a  telescope on Tom's famous beach.  Would you be able to see the other beach since there is no curvature and that's what you expect to see?  Yet when I look, I can only see the hills farther up since the beach is obscured by the curvature and it's what I expect to see?  This experiment could contain no fakery or special effects.

These questions are based on your statement that people see what they want to see.  Also based on the fact that you seem to be sincere and non-insulting, unlike a lot of FE trolls around here.

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 07:34:47 PM »

Then do the experiment and see for yourself,  :)

Remember also that you already hold a position.
Do you think its easy to change everything you believed in since you were a little child.
These sighted distance arguments are hard to prove either way.
This has also been pointed out by the Roundies on this forum as well,

I believe it has been proved beyond reasonable doubt that the earth is flat many many times over.
Have a good look on line, read the literature, check out the laser tests, photos, weather balloon evidence.
If you are objective then why let some people who you've never met before on a internet forum stop you.
Does FET live and die by the things random people say here, be they roundies or flatties.

How do you explain satellite dish alignment?

Offline Dither

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 06:02:54 AM »
Not the same thing at all. 

You are correct, but why does it need to be the same thing?
Its just an innocent question after all.

Hmmm

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 12:36:55 PM »
 curiousjoe, don't forget to upload to your videos on youtube or vimeo!