Re: Antarctic 24-hour sun cycle
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 10:16:21 PM »
How in the world does that map work? It seems like you could only use up to two adjacent single square sections at any one time. What goes on at the intersections of what I presume is the equator?

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 10:47:08 PM »
How in the world does that map work? It seems like you could only use up to two adjacent single square sections at any one time. What goes on at the intersections of what I presume is the equator?

You are exactly right.  We have to use our imagination a little bit to make it work.
But that's the same with every FE map.
The hallmark of true science is repeatability to the point of accurate prediction.

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2017, 03:27:44 PM »
This is my favorite map.  It makes the southern hemisphere flight times work.

Eh - no, it doesn't.   Some of the distances are better - but no, it doesn't reproduce real world distances to anywhere near a reasonable accuracy.

The mathematics of topology absolutely guarantee that no such map can ever possibly be made...even with cunning tricks like this one.

It would be interesting to know how a compass would work on this map too.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2017, 04:57:15 PM »
Eh - no, it doesn't.   Some of the distances are better - but no, it doesn't reproduce real world distances to anywhere near a reasonable accuracy.

Agreed.  The only way to make physics work is if the Earth is a globe.  (Which it is).
That's still my favorite Flat Earth Map.
The hallmark of true science is repeatability to the point of accurate prediction.

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2017, 08:40:14 PM »
Sure it must not be a globe otherwise why TFES exists?
And it's not a globe, but a geoid.  We all know it's a bit off of ellipsoid so that's fine. It's not a globe, Bishop you are correct.

Any flat map won't work. Any. This is because Earth is geoid. All flat map are approximations. Some approximate better areas near poles some do so in continents. But it is impossible to make a 2D map precisely for all areas. You need a globe for this.

Bishop, if you believe that Earth is not a globe without any sane evidence, it's a paranoia, a religion. It has nothing common with rationalism or science. It's something else...
Flat Earth is one of the following:
- nonsense
- bullshit
- garbage
- trash
- junk
- crap

Choose to your liking.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 02:58:23 PM »
There are two magnetic and celestial poles in the most modern Flat Earth model. See The Sea Earth Globe and its Monstrous Hypothetical Motions in our literature repository.

So you are saying the sun rotates around both poles?  How is that possible?   
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2017, 04:39:58 PM »
There are two magnetic and celestial poles in the most modern Flat Earth model. See The Sea Earth Globe and its Monstrous Hypothetical Motions in our literature repository.

The midnight sun of the north and south does not occur simultaneously.

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2017, 06:17:40 PM »

No - but other occasions when the sun is visible from both poles simultaneously DO occur every spring and summer.

Honestly, I thought FET (with the pre-antarctica map) was kinda amusing and was clever enough to reproduce many of the effects we see in the real world...but the version that has antarctica as a separate continent AS WELL AS the ice wall around the entire earth...that version produces VASTLY more anomalies and problems than previously.

So: Mr Bishop.

We're standing in the center of your newly-found continent of Antarctica on midsummer day (Dec 21st) - the sun orbits all around us and is continually visible.   At some point therefore, it must be closer to the ice-wall (I want to say the "south" - but in this map, that's tricky terminology) than Antarctica...right?

This happens when it is noon at some point on the planet.   Precisely where is hard to say...but it's always noon SOMEWHERE.

So - according to this new and exciting version of FET - the sun is both someplace between the continent of antarctica and the ice wall AND vertically above some place on the equator.

You want to take a shot at where that is?

Maybe get a copy of your map and put a nice red dot where you think the sun must be...I'd love to see that.

Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2017, 08:52:32 PM »

Agree.  But please explain how Antarctica could have 24-hour sunlight without messing up the day/night cycle in the rest of the world.  Given that FE says the sun revolves around the North Pole.

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 09:01:55 PM »

Agree.  But please explain how Antarctica could have 24-hour sunlight without messing up the day/night cycle in the rest of the world.  Given that FE says the sun revolves around the North Pole.
They have a new model for this, with two distinct poles. Don't know what holds it all on with this model (neither do they to my knowledge) and how the sun moves between an orbit over the North Pole to one over the South Pole is basically described as 'magic' from the one source I was given on here. It also comes with many of it's own issues (flight times still come to mind) but at least it's got the ability to give 24-hour daylight to Antarctica, so it's got that going for it.

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2017, 06:58:49 PM »
The trouble with the new map:

..is even more severe than with the old one.

Suppose it's summer in Antarctica - and you're standing on the south pole.

At some point during the months of continuous sunlight, the sun is going to be shining from the direction of the Ross Ice Shelf (the "bottom" of the new map).    (You want to say "South" - but directions are so screwed up at the poles...!)

So the actual FE sun is somewhere between the Ross Ice Shelf and the "edge of the world" at the Ice Cliff.

Which means that for anyone in (say) South Africa - the sun is setting (or rising?) on the SOUTHERN horizon...yeah - that's a bit odd isn't it.

Then, for NewZealanders - their little islands have been smeared out over some ungodly large distance - which way does a compass point?   Both North and South poles are "above" them on the map (again, putting compass directions on things is hard).

I had a small amount of grudging respect for the original FE map - it's not without it's faults, but it's quite a clever interpretation - but this new one is must batshit-crazy!

It's so badly screwy, you can't easily get your head around just how screwy it really is!

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2017, 07:39:25 PM »

I really wish you wouldn't cut and run from difficult questions.

"Agree.  But please explain how Antarctica could have 24-hour sunlight without messing up the day/night cycle in the rest of the world.  Given that FE says the sun revolves around the North Pole."

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2017, 03:03:05 AM »

You are forgetting that during the time of the midnight sun in the Antarctic summer the Northern Hemiplane is having its longest winter nights.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2017, 03:17:54 AM »
No - but other occasions when the sun is visible from both poles simultaneously DO occur every spring and summer.

Source?

Quote from: 3DGeek
We're standing in the center of your newly-found continent of Antarctica on midsummer day (Dec 21st) - the sun orbits all around us and is continually visible.   At some point therefore, it must be closer to the ice-wall (I want to say the "south" - but in this map, that's tricky terminology) than Antarctica...right?

This happens when it is noon at some point on the planet.   Precisely where is hard to say...but it's always noon SOMEWHERE.

So - according to this new and exciting version of FET - the sun is both someplace between the continent of antarctica and the ice wall AND vertically above some place on the equator.

You want to take a shot at where that is?

Maybe get a copy of your map and put a nice red dot where you think the sun must be...I'd love to see that.

The sun isn't over the equator on December 21st in Round Earth Theory. How embarrassing for you that you did not know that.

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2017, 07:41:29 PM »
The sun being visible from both poles can be explained in RET because in Spring and Autumn the earths tilt is tangential to its orbital path. This means it does not appear tilted relative to the sun and neither pole would be in the earths shadow.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2017, 09:25:29 PM »
The sun being visible from both poles can be explained in RET because in Spring and Autumn the earths tilt is tangential to its orbital path. This means it does not appear tilted relative to the sun and neither pole would be in the earths shadow.

And how is it impossible for the sun to be seen from both poles at some point in the bipolar model?

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2017, 12:48:14 AM »

And how is it impossible for the sun to be seen from both poles at some point in the bipolar model?
If that were the case the sun would be visible from all points on earth all the time... no?  In the spot light model painted by the wiki.

Hmmm

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2017, 12:29:41 AM »
Which sun are you talking about?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2017, 03:52:41 AM »

If that were the case the sun would be visible from all points on earth all the time... no?  In the spot light model painted by the wiki.

Clearly, the sun is not seen at all times. It was agreed that the midnight sun (24-hr sun) did not occur at both the North and South pole simultaneously, but there is no reason that at some point in the year the sun can't be seen from both the North and South pole simultaneously if the area of light contained both those distant locations.

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2017, 08:30:58 PM »

Clearly, the sun is not seen at all times. It was agreed that the midnight sun (24-hr sun) did not occur at both the North and South pole simultaneously, but there is no reason that at some point in the year the sun can't be seen from both the North and South pole simultaneously if the area of light contained both those distant locations.

As usual, you've grabbed onto some small part of the problem you don't understand.

Stick with this one.   On Dec 31st at the center of Antarctica, they have 24 hours of continuous sunlight and the sun makes a complete circle above the horizon.

When the sun appears in the direction of the Ross Ice Shelf (the very bottom of your map) where does it appear to be for people in South Africa?

Please don't dodge this very simple question!