Sun Eclipse "Caused & Effects"!
« on: June 26, 2017, 06:08:37 AM »
I have a question about the sun eclipse. And, maybe my question is to who believe that the earth is a ball spinning. Therefore; any answer could help to the subject!
According to the global earth system. The sun eclipse caused by the position of the moon when setting between earth and, the sun. Now; at the night side of the earth do they see the moon at the sun eclipse time or, not? And why?

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
Re: Sun Eclipse "Caused & Effects"!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 07:19:13 AM »
And, maybe my question is to who believe that the earth is a ball spinning. Therefore; any answer could help to the subject!
Since you've specifically called for answers from those of us 'who believe that the earth is a ball spinning', I will give you the round earth answer.

at the night side of the earth do they see the moon at the sun eclipse time or, not?
No, they do not.

And why?
Because as you must know, when it is night somewhere, that means the sun is on the other side of the planet.  During an eclipse the moon is on the same side of the world as the sun is, and therefore the moon is also on the opposite side of the planet, and therefore also not visible.  See the picture below.  At the time of the eclipse (daytime in the US) it is night in Africa and Europe.  See where the moon is?  Just like the sun, it is on the other side of the world.

Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 04:28:27 PM »
During an eclipse the moon is on the same side of the world as the sun is, and therefore the moon is also on the opposite side of the planet, and therefore also not visible.

This confusing me! Are you trying to say that, the moon be in different places at the same time?

Offline Smokified

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 10:04:00 PM »
During an eclipse the moon is on the same side of the world as the sun is, and therefore the moon is also on the opposite side of the planet, and therefore also not visible.

This confusing me! Are you trying to say that, the moon be in different places at the same time?

I am not sure where there is anything he says that suggests the moon is in 2 different places.  Just look at the picture, it is in 1 place.

Offline Rounder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 05:35:33 AM »
I'll try again.  If you look at the picture, consider the experience of an observer located in Africa.  The eclipse is happening in the United States during Africa's nighttime hours.  The moon is in the same part of the sky as the sun (the very definition of an eclipse).  If the observer in Africa cannot see the sun (because it is night), and if the moon is in the same part of the sky as the sun, then the observer in Africa cannot see the moon either.

This same logic holds true if the earth is flat, by the way.  On the flat earth, we are told that you cannot see the sun at night because it is too far away.  (I'm simplifying here, there is more to it than that, but it boils down to "too far away" in the end.)  So if the sun is too far away for you to see it, and the moon is in about the same place as the sun, then the moon is also too far away for you to see it.
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 04:45:07 AM »
According to the global earth system. The sun eclipse caused by the position of the moon when setting between earth and, the sun. Now; at the night side of the earth do they see the moon at the sun eclipse time or, not? And why?

On the night side of the planet they can't see either the sun or the moon because (a) it's night - so they can't see the sun and (b) the moon is in front of the sun - so you obviously can't see that either.

In fact, the area of the round earth from which you can see a solar eclipse is pretty small - it's a narrow, curved path - as indicated by the narrow dark blue ribbon in this diagram for the upcoming solar eclipse on August 21st:

Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

Offline Rounder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 05:21:33 PM »
In fact, the area of the round earth from which you can see a solar eclipse is pretty small - it's a narrow, curved path - as indicated by the narrow dark blue ribbon in this diagram for the upcoming solar eclipse on August 21st:

The TOTAL eclipse zone is quite small, yes.  The PARTIAL eclipse zone, however, is almost the entire daytime side of the world.

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 08:24:43 PM »

The TOTAL eclipse zone is quite small, yes.  The PARTIAL eclipse zone, however, is almost the entire daytime side of the world.

Yes, indeed...which further explains why RET is a better explanation.   A small "shadow object" in front of a sun who's distance is comparable to the radius of the FE couldn't produce this effect.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 11:04:20 AM »
Yes, indeed...which further explains why RET is a better explanation.   A small "shadow object" in front of a sun who's distance is comparable to the radius of the FE couldn't produce this effect.

How do eclipses relate to flat earth theory though? Those explanations seem to be for globes.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 09:22:20 PM by CliftonP »

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 02:46:53 PM »
How do eclipses relate to flat earth theory though? Those explanations seem to be for globes.
Eclipses really do happen.  Even the FE'ers cannot deny that.   Nearly everyone will have seen a Lunar eclipse - they happen frequently.   Millions of people across the USA saw the 2017 total solar eclipse.

The RET explanation for them is very simple.

* In a solar eclipse, the moon goes in front of the sun and hides it.
* In a lunar eclipse the Earth gets between the sun and moon and the Earths' circular shadow is cast onto the moon.

The FET explanation is (as usual) considerably more tortured!

* In a solar eclipse, the moon goes in front of the sun and hides it - but because sun and moon are claimed to be identical in size - the moon must be implausibly close to the sun at the time.
* In a lunar eclipse, the Earth isn't involved (can't be because both sun and moon are above the plane of the earth so it can't cast a shadow onto the moon) - so they've invented a third body called "The Shadow Object" (or some say "The Anti-Moon") which is orbiting close to the sun and casts it's shadow onto the moon during a lunar eclipse.   The shadow object somehow manages to be 100% indetectable by all possible means for the rest of the time.   It doesn't create tides, it doesn't block out stars or planets like Venus and Mercury, it never gets in front of the sun, it doesn't cast a shadow onto stars or planets during the lunar eclipse.  But the claims required to make it be so perfectly hidden at ALL other times get very complicated and hard to swallow.   It seems like a really contrived thing...which, of course, it is!

Offline mtnman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 04:58:46 PM »

I think he means the moon is on the opposite side from someone on the night side of the Earth.

When the moon move into the spot directly between the sun and Earth it causes an eclipse. When the eclipse happens, it is always day or night for someone depending on where on Earth they are standing. The picture Rounder posted is good for showing the relationships (although not the scale). In that example (which looks similar to the August 2017 eclipse) it is daytime in North America and night in Africa.

Offline Rounder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 04:18:07 AM »
Yes, and usually the globe answer is not appropriate for the Q&A forum.  However, in this rare instance the OP specifically asked for it, which made me feel okay to give that answer and the moderators have tolerated it.

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 06:14:23 AM »
Now; at the night side of the earth do they see the moon at the sun eclipse time or, not? And why?

Are you familiar with the phases of the Moon and in particular the new moon? The new moon is not visible to anyone on the night side of Earth.

The same thing happens during a solar eclipse - the new moon is very near the sun, and during the eclipse the Moon is even nearer/overlapping.