How much of the horizon can you see, left to right?
« on: June 09, 2017, 07:55:40 PM »
Just wondering why we see no curvature of the horizon from left to right?

If you are standing on a beach, with 135 degree field of vision and two miles of straight line sight, you should be able to see about 15 feet of drop on each side, right?

This would be exacerbated the higher up you went and the further you could see, because the horizon from left to right would also increase.

Why would you need to break 60,000 feet in elevation to see the horizon curve? Every point on Earth has the same curvature in a sphere, it doesn't matter what direction you look.

For example, at my elevation, I can see the mountains about 100 miles away. Which means the horizon is more than 80 miles wide.

There should be a curvature on each side of more than 1000 feet. If I turned my head left or right, this curvature should continue.

And if I looked out with the mountain at the edge of my vision, it should be pointed at an angle, not straight up.

??
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 08:41:04 PM by MorganFreethoughtman »

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
Re: How much of the horizon can you see, left to right?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 06:48:53 PM »

If you are standing on a beach, with 135 degree field of vision and two miles of straight line sight, you should be able to see about 15 feet of drop on each side, right?

This would be exacerbated the higher up you went and the further you could see, because the horizon from left to right would also increase.

Why would you need to break 60,000 feet in elevation to see the horizon curve? Every point on Earth has the same curvature in a sphere, it doesn't matter what direction you look.

For example, at my elevation, I can see the mountains about 100 miles away. Which means the horizon is more than 80 miles wide.

There should be a curvature on each side of more than 1000 feet. If I turned my head left or right, this curvature should continue.

And if I looked out with the mountain at the edge of my vision, it should be pointed at an angle, not straight up.

??

Logic is not hard.   The horizon is the same distance in every direction.  If you look right at sea level, you are seeing to the horizon.  Same for left.     The curvature you seek is possible to see at altitudes around 50k feet that many private and charter jets fly at.  Too many people have reported this fact to ignore.  Nothing to do with curved glass and other such nonsense.

Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 08:01:38 AM »

??

Logic is not hard.   The horizon is the same distance in every direction.  If you look right at sea level, you are seeing to the horizon.  Same for left.     The curvature you seek is possible to see at altitudes around 50k feet that many private and charter jets fly at.  Too many people have reported this fact to ignore.  Nothing to do with curved glass and other such nonsense.

Apparently you don't know how a sphere works.

If my horizon is 100 miles away, the edges of my field of vision should curve. And if there is a curve, by adjusting your vision to place a tall object in the edge of your vision, you should see it standing at an angle outwards, not straight up. You know, since the curvature is the same at any point on a sphere.

Logic isn't hard. You should try to use some. This is simple stuff here.

Why do you post here if you don't believe it? Paid shill or have absolutely nothing better to do with your life?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 08:04:37 AM by MorganFreethoughtman »

Offline Dither

• The night above the dingle starry,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 11:47:38 AM »

I think we both know why  ;)

This board is open to both FE's and RE's so you should expect responses from both sides.

Every week I go to the top of Point Danger in Coolangatta and look out over the flat horizon.
I also note how close the sun appears and how it leaves a hotspot on the surface of the ocean.
These are things I never questioned before, now I see with a different perspective.
You would think it would be easy to get someone to see it this way but no, no, no.

Quite amazing really, how no one questions or even cares.

A lie will make it around the world before the truth has time to put on its shoes.